Podcast #125 - You're Not Alone and You're Not Crazy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2013, 03:14 PM
Podcast #125 - You're Not Alone and You're Not Crazy

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2013, 07:54 PM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2013 08:02 PM by Swedgen.)
RE: Podcast #125 - You're Not Alone and You're Not Crazy
Hi Seth,

I listened to this podcast this morning on the way into work.

I've been an atheist for probably 5-6 years. I was very dubious of religion since my early 20s, but finally came to that conclusion after reading The God Delusion (like many I guess).

Anyway I was lucky enough to have received a copy of Steven Pinker's The Better Angels of our Nature last Christmas from my wife, and I tore through it in about 5 days. I simply could not put it down. So if you haven't read too much of it as yet (going by your Podcast), all I can say is I'm very confident you'll love it. It's not just one of the best history books I've ever read, or one of the best science books, it's one of the best books I've ever read full stop. Absolutely brilliant.

I was extremely envious to hear that you attended the recent conference - unfortunately here in Melbourne we're a bit too far away! I loved your comment that when you hear Dr.Pinker speak you simultaneously feel smarter and stupid at the same time - that's exactly how I feel, and I watch a lot of his YouTube interviews. If you're interested, there is a 1 hour plus discussion between Dr.Pinker and Richard Dawkins about Darwin that has recently made it back onto YouTube. If you ever get a spare hour I highly recommend it.

Great Podcast and happy reading!
04-09-2013, 09:40 PM
Sometimes I find the podcasts overlong and a little self-indulgent.

Is that heresy?

This time, I was sorry when it ended. Kinda like when you rush to the end of a great novel and then think... Damn! Too soon.

There should be an expression for that. Maybe... premature podulation?

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
05-09-2013, 02:45 AM
Hopefully it doesn't sound too sappy, but I found this podcast uplifting. It's nice to occasionally take a moment to remember you're not alone in the quest for reason and sanity, and to realize there are a lot of supportive individuals out there.

And may I just say I completely agree with Seth's idea of family? Definitely something I've put into practice since high school.

I'd listen to another show like this in a heartbeat. :D
[+] 1 user Likes Kari93's post