Podcast #135 - I'm An Atheist, But I'm Not "Out"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2013, 10:10 PM
Podcast #135 - I'm An Atheist, But I'm Not "Out"

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-11-2013, 03:22 AM
RE: Podcast #135 - I'm An Atheist, But I'm Not "Out"
Is it just me or is there a new agenda?

Seth used to be all like... "don't do anything that does not make you feel safe. Come out when you are ready."

The above in particular but also the last podcast and the 'tornado' vid seem to have a slightly more 'activist' bent to them i.e. "don't do anything that does not make you feel safe. Come out when you are ready... but we need to come out to show others that they are not alone and to create a surge..." kinda thing.

I wonder if it's all the conventions he's been attending.

I don't have a problem with it but I just wondered if it was conscious or subconscious.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
18-11-2013, 04:01 PM
(18-11-2013 03:22 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Is it just me or is there a new agenda?

Seth used to be all like... "don't do anything that does not make you feel safe. Come out when you are ready."

The above in particular but also the last podcast and the 'tornado' vid seem to have a slightly more 'activist' bent to them i.e. "don't do anything that does not make you feel safe. Come out when you are ready... but we need to come out to show others that they are not alone and to create a surge..." kinda thing.

I don't have a problem with it but I just wondered if it was conscious or subconscious.
I didn't get that from him at all. He is still understanding that most atheist are wary of coming out and not to pay attention to others who try to pressure them to do so when they aren't ready.
Seems more like he's trying to set guidelines for those who don't know the best way to talk about the subject.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
18-11-2013, 04:40 PM
(18-11-2013 03:22 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Is it just me or is there a new agenda?
------
------

I would speculate that his attendance at conventions has contributed to a change in perspective. I think any shift of direction would certainly be reflected in his growth process. As a result of that it would surely result in conscious effort in expressing his evolving outlook.

I think it's ok and I certainly understand what it's like to alter one's expressive ideas, as awareness of a subject deepens. I think I noticed a similar very subtle shift in point of view after the first few months of the book tour. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
18-11-2013, 05:18 PM
I get the feeling he sees both sides of it. He loves that there is a growth in non-beleif, and really hopes it continues, thus making it easier for in-the-closet atheists to be able to be "out and proud".

I feel he still does understand that it isn't right for everyone, and that it is a very difficult, sometimes deadly situation for some.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post