Podcast #137 - Who Invented Jesus? (with Dr. Robert M. Price)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-11-2013, 07:29 PM
Podcast #137 - Who Invented Jesus? (with Dr. Robert M. Price)

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-11-2013, 05:52 PM
RE: Podcast #137 - Who Invented Jesus? (with Dr. Robert M. Price)
I agree with Dr. Price and Seth that atheists should be polite and refrain from launching into a diatribe on the harms of faith in response to someone saying "Merry Christmas". Responding in kind to such a greeting is, IMHO, absolutely the right thing to do.

However, when it comes to violations of the US constitution, which was designed specifically to prevent a take-over of a democratic government by a tide of theocratic sentiment, I think it is necessary to push back and fight to keep religious slogans and prayers in schools from establishing a concensus that Christianity is somehow entitled to write the laws of the land. Things like "In God We Trust" in court houses and on the money, and prayer at the beginning government meetings or in schools, or religious statues and plaques on government buildings are part of a deliberate campaign to destroy democracy and replace it with a theocracy by promoting the lie that the US was founded as a Christian Nation. That's why it is important to sue over activities like that. It is not the atheists who are being invasive, rude, and in your face in those situations, it is the Christian fascists.

"Heresy makes for progress" - Hypatia Bradlaugh Bonner
[1 Corinthians 13:11] When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. - The Bible King James Version. See? Even the Bible says "Put me down!" Big Grin
28-11-2013, 11:35 PM
RE: Podcast #137 - Who Invented Jesus? (with Dr. Robert M. Price)
My first post on this forum. I've been listening to The Thinking Atheist for about four months now.
So far I've listened to the first twenty minutes of the 'Who Invented Jesus' podcast with Robert Price. I just HAD to stop the recording because I'm gobsmacked!
I'm sorry to say that I believe I've just heard the most extraordinary intellectual dishonesty defended with what I can only describe as gobbledegook.
I enjoy the TA podcasts very much and until this moment I didn't think there would be anything in one of these pods that would so frustrate me that I'd feel compelled to sign up to the forum and submit a post.
But Price's unravelling of his claim to be a Christian Atheist just pushed my buttons so hard I couldn't help myself.
Either Price was using the word 'christian' in a generic way - to describe a person who is morally 'good', kind to others, behaves as though we really should 'do unto others as we would have them do to us' way - which is wishwashy and indefensible since atheists are just as capable of acting this way without the need to refer to Jesus.
OR Price was using 'Christian' in it what I regard as its only valid sense: as a proper noun and one that identifies a person who truly holds the belief that Jesus was God incarnate, come to earth to redeem us from the first sin by the first people in the Garden.
If the latter, then it is a logical impossibility to add meaning to the word 'atheist' by adding the word 'Christian' as a modifying adjective. It's an oxymoron.
I'm really not interested in the 'wriggles' Price uses to try to justify this; it's just silliness and no amount of triple- or quadruple-syllable words or literary references can rescue it.
My goodness I feel better now.
(A somewhat elderly female listener from the East Coast of Australia)