Podcast #153 - Satanic Panic

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-03-2014, 08:23 PM
Podcast #153 - Satanic Panic

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-03-2014, 02:41 AM
RE: Podcast #153 - Satanic Panic
This podcast is what got me onto these forums. Man, oh, man - my wife and I felt like we were time traveling. Listening to some of the accounts, esp. the fella from Nashville, brought back so many uncomfortable feelings of near-hysteria. I could have listened to another couple hours of it, really. Items like:

- Talk Back With Bob Larson
- The Hidden Dangers of the Rainbow by Constance Cumbey
- Dave Hunt's New Age Scare books, esp. The Seduction of Christianity
- The Adversary Series by Mark Bubeck

We had classes, speakers, seminars, retreats - I mean the gamut - and it was all related to Christ's imminent return.

Twice I got rid of a very complete Dungeons & Dragons collections. I got rid of my fantasy fiction, except, of course, for Lord of the Rings and Narnia. I read Frank Peretti and his ilk instead.

The fear was a very effective means of control and manipulation. We had to be at church all the time to avoid being deceived and drawn away from the truth of Christ.

Thank you for the flashback, as unpleasant as part of it was. It's good to be reminded just how f***ing batshit crazy this stuff was, and how lucky we are to be free of it.

ToonForever
--------------------------------------
Why I No Longer Believe
I once was blind, but now I see...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like ToonForever's post
13-03-2014, 02:22 PM
(13-03-2014 02:41 AM)ToonForever Wrote:  This podcast is what got me onto these forums. Man, oh, man - my wife and I felt like we were time traveling. Listening to some of the accounts, esp. the fella from Nashville, brought back so many uncomfortable feelings of near-hysteria. I could have listened to another couple hours of it, really. Items like:

We had classes, speakers, seminars, retreats - I mean the gamut - and it was all related to Christ's imminent return.

Twice I got rid of a very complete Dungeons & Dragons collections. I got rid of my fantasy fiction, except, of course, for Lord of the Rings and Narnia. I read Frank Peretti and his ilk instead.

The fear was a very effective means of control and manipulation. We had to be at church all the time to avoid being deceived and drawn away from the truth of Christ.

Thank you for the flashback, as unpleasant as part of it was. It's good to be reminded just how f***ing batshit crazy this stuff was, and how lucky we are to be free of it.

holy crap, man. I'm glad you got ahold of yourself in the hysteria. I can't fathom anyone believing in this shit!

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
13-03-2014, 05:35 PM
(13-03-2014 02:22 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  holy crap, man. I'm glad you got ahold of yourself in the hysteria. I can't fathom anyone believing in this shit!

I hear ya - if you ever needed crazy shit believed, I was your guy Undecided

ToonForever
--------------------------------------
Why I No Longer Believe
I once was blind, but now I see...
14-03-2014, 06:42 AM
(13-03-2014 02:41 AM)ToonForever Wrote:  This podcast is what got me onto these forums. Man, oh, man - my wife and I felt like we were time traveling. Listening to some of the accounts, esp. the fella from Nashville, brought back so many uncomfortable feelings of near-hysteria. I could have listened to another couple hours of it, really. Items like:

That is just like the hysteria of growing up in a Jehovah's Witness house like mine:

Meetings 2 times a week, minimum of 90 hours of door-to-door per month, no holidays or celebrations allowed, freethought a tool of satan...ect...
15-03-2014, 03:32 PM
Here's a link to the D&D Chick Tract the caller mentioned:

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.ASP

That tract is seriously fucked up!

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
15-03-2014, 03:53 PM
I was a victim of this, except that the fundie living with us was also convinced that LotR was "evil", Never did forgive him for burning my copy. And those tracts are horrifying, used to have them when i was younger, had nightmares about the demons that lived everywhere thanks to those little propaganda flyers.

The requirement of evidence to back your claim does not disappear because it hurts your feelings, reality does not care about your feefees.
[+] 1 user Likes Blackhand293's post
15-03-2014, 04:40 PM
I just recieved a prayer request on fb. A Facebook acquaintance I went to college with, who's step daughter is a missionary in Africa praying that some kid in the village had a curse put on her by a witch doctor to drive her away from christ. She wrote the child is possessed by many demons and needs prayer urgently. It's all became worse since she was baptized...

Seriously what century are we in?

Facepalm

Oh and yeah, I unfriended her.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
15-03-2014, 08:15 PM
(15-03-2014 03:32 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  Here's a link to the D&D Chick Tract the caller mentioned:

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.ASP

That tract is seriously fucked up!

Thanks for posting that link. I have heard about those tracts but have never seen one. Interesting. And, as you said, fucked up.