Podcast #156 - Believers VS Non-Believers interviews Seth Andrews

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2014, 04:42 PM
Podcast #156 - Believers VS Non-Believers interviews Seth Andrews

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2014, 07:22 PM
RE: Podcast #156 - Believers VS Non-Believers interviews Seth Andrews
I started no too long ago to get back into these Podcasts.

This one sparked an idea in me to further explore something. To transpose religious institutions and religious people, to political institutions and people of certain political beliefs. Like reasons for why people believe certain things, how certain beliefs are accepted or given preferential treatment, who's perpetuating and profiting from those beliefs. What are the long running classical beliefs, and how are they changing and adapting on the surface.

The core being that these beliefs are irrational, and immoral, but institutionalized.

I'm seeing a lot of similarities, and wonder if tools or methods to combat one ideology can be used to combat another ideology.

Christianity is a changing face, but there's a core. You might change religions, but there's a similar core.
"Western exceptionalism" is a changing face, but there's a core. You might change political ideologies, but there's a similar core.
And are both cores similar enough to use the same tools against them, perhaps?

People are, say, mormons for the community and sense of identity. Do you ease them into a secular community which offers another sense of identity? People like militarism for perhaps a similar community and sense of power. Do you ease them into a pacifist community with another sense of power?
Are they both forced or fooled into their ideology? Can you topple both in a similar way too?
[+] 1 user Likes PoolBoyG's post
04-04-2014, 06:24 AM
(02-04-2014 07:22 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  I started no too long ago to get back into these Podcasts.

This one sparked an idea in me to further explore something. To transpose religious institutions and religious people, to political institutions and people of certain political beliefs. Like reasons for why people believe certain things, how certain beliefs are accepted or given preferential treatment, who's perpetuating and profiting from those beliefs. What are the long running classical beliefs, and how are they changing and adapting on the surface.

The core being that these beliefs are irrational, and immoral, but institutionalized.

I'm seeing a lot of similarities, and wonder if tools or methods to combat one ideology can be used to combat another ideology.

Christianity is a changing face, but there's a core. You might change religions, but there's a similar core.
"Western exceptionalism" is a changing face, but there's a core. You might change political ideologies, but there's a similar core.
And are both cores similar enough to use the same tools against them, perhaps?

People are, say, mormons for the community and sense of identity. Do you ease them into a secular community which offers another sense of identity? People like militarism for perhaps a similar community and sense of power. Do you ease them into a pacifist community with another sense of power?
Are they both forced or fooled into their ideology? Can you topple both in a similar way too?

Really, it is hard to get somebody to consider new ideas. People are incredibly stubborn, and no matter how irrational you show them their stance is, or how severe of an atrocity their moral stance is--they will not change their mind.
08-04-2014, 06:30 PM
Anyone else that subscribes to the podcast having trouble getting this one? It isn't on the list as available for download Sad

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
08-04-2014, 06:33 PM
Smerc here ya go http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/podcast

rightclick>"save link as"
on the "download this episode"

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
08-04-2014, 06:35 PM
I didnt like this one. Seth was derailing questions imo. Infact,i didnt enjoy the last 3 podcasts

08-04-2014, 06:35 PM
(08-04-2014 06:33 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  Smerc here ya go http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/podcast

iPad, no right clicking Sad plus I like to listen to it in my car on the way to/from work, best free time to do it.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
08-04-2014, 06:41 PM
(08-04-2014 06:35 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 06:33 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  Smerc here ya go http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/podcast

iPad, no right clicking Sad plus I like to listen to it in my car on the way to/from work, best free time to do it.

then just click "download this episode"
i dunno if safari will make it stream or download tho