Podcast #162 - Faith-Healer Fail!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2014, 10:37 PM
Podcast #162 - Faith-Healer Fail!

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-05-2014, 04:27 PM
RE: Podcast #162 - Faith-Healer Fail!
It is possible that the most important thing about me to know is that I'm a nurse and I've been a nurse for over 30 years and have practiced in a variety of settings including the ICU, the ED, case management on tech dependent children and now school nursing.

Seth, I would encourage you to go beyond the "low hanging fruit" in your treatment of topics. And I hope that doesn't come off harsh. (It does as I write it.)

Detesting people who fail to treat children for the curable and incurable is not so hard to "sell".

As a nurse, I can tell you that it is possible to worship at the altar of medicine (and science) and it has the same kind of pitfalls as any kind of faith filled worship.

Here's the challenge.

The biological fact of the body is that it dies. It is born, it grows, it peaks, it wanes, it dies. Medicine has done much (and I celebrate it) but eventually, we die. The body fails and we die.

And yet, I have seen the worshippers hang on to the promise of the medicine god (medicine man?) way beyond any reasonable expectation of success. In the ICU I saw it over and over. But in any strain of health care I have worked in I have seen it. And I have seen doctors be unable to say, "We have done all that is reasonable. We have no more ideas that have any reasonable hope of curative success."

This is considered blasphemy to write what I wrote by some in health care and (oops there it is) many who consider themselves people of faith.

As a nurse, I embrace the notion of care. We always have something to offer in the way of care but as Americans, we love "cures". And the fact is that the "cure" is a "limited time offer".

So consider that as a theme.

How do people live authentically and keep themselves away from the pitfalls of being a worshipper at the altar of medicine?
[+] 1 user Likes JanetH's post
19-05-2014, 04:54 PM
(19-05-2014 04:27 PM)JanetH Wrote:  It is possible that the most important thing about me to know is that I'm a nurse and I've been a nurse for over 30 years and have practiced in a variety of settings including the ICU, the ED, case management on tech dependent children and now school nursing.

Seth, I would encourage you to go beyond the "low hanging fruit" in your treatment of topics. And I hope that doesn't come off harsh. (It does as I write it.)

Detesting people who fail to treat children for the curable and incurable is not so hard to "sell".

As a nurse, I can tell you that it is possible to worship at the altar of medicine (and science) and it has the same kind of pitfalls as any kind of faith filled worship.

Here's the challenge.

The biological fact of the body is that it dies. It is born, it grows, it peaks, it wanes, it dies. Medicine has done much (and I celebrate it) but eventually, we die. The body fails and we die.

And yet, I have seen the worshippers hang on to the promise of the medicine god (medicine man?) way beyond any reasonable expectation of success. In the ICU I saw it over and over. But in any strain of health care I have worked in I have seen it. And I have seen doctors be unable to say, "We have done all that is reasonable. We have no more ideas that have any reasonable hope of curative success."

This is considered blasphemy to write what I wrote by some in health care and (oops there it is) many who consider themselves people of faith.

As a nurse, I embrace the notion of care. We always have something to offer in the way of care but as Americans, we love "cures". And the fact is that the "cure" is a "limited time offer".

So consider that as a theme.

How do people live authentically and keep themselves away from the pitfalls of being a worshipper at the altar of medicine?

Welcome to the thinking atheist forum.

Just for future reference tho, Seth doesn't read here (very often)

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

20-05-2014, 02:44 AM
(19-05-2014 04:27 PM)JanetH Wrote:  ...

That's a damn fine question.

The answer might lie in those who do not.

What about their upbringing has made them less fearful, worshipful or independent.

Look at those who were not taught that we can / should live forever.

I got "rub it better" from my parents rather than hugs and cuddles. Maybe it starts there.

Yes

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
20-05-2014, 04:01 PM
Well, there's a lot to fear about the loss of the integrity of the body. And we like to think that so much can be fixed. But there comes a time when it simply cannot. The biology says we are born, we grow, we weaken and die.

Someone I know says that what we hate about death is that it is so fair. It comes to all of us.

But if you work in healthcare you see many who are simply trying to deny that fact.

And too many doctors who cannot and will not say, "Medicine has nothing curative to offer you; we can manage your symptoms but we cannot restore you to where you were..."
[+] 1 user Likes JanetH's post
20-05-2014, 04:19 PM
As a Nurse, you've made a point of this.
Does being a Nurse make you more in-tune with what happens after a person dies?
If so, how?

The first time I got a universal remote control, I thought to myself "This changes everything."
22-05-2014, 04:16 PM
(20-05-2014 04:19 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  As a Nurse, you've made a point of this.
Does being a Nurse make you more in-tune with what happens after a person dies?
If so, how?

Nurses see a lot of death. They are professionally attached and aquainted with the processes of life and death. I am in training to nurse and someday I will have to see somebody slip away. I hope to postpone that day as long as possible.

Just because YOU believe in fairies doesn't mean anybody else should.