Podcast #97 - Coffee with a Methodist Minister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2013, 04:07 PM
Podcast #97 - Coffee with a Methodist Minister

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2013, 04:20 PM
RE: Podcast #97 - Coffee with a Methodist Minister
Very nice show. The Reverend Bob seemed like a thoughtful and genuinely nice guy. And Seth, you did a very good job of having a caring conversation, but not shying away from asking challenging questions. It was the perfect balance.

It was interesting how he explained that he didn't take the stories in the Bible as literaly true accounts, but had never really thought about how his church is teaching these to its children, with the obvious implication that the children should believe them as factual.
27-02-2013, 07:32 PM
Is Bob's full name available? I would like to contact him, if he hasn't specified otherwise.
02-03-2013, 11:37 AM
Interesting discussion. It seems Rev. Bob is one of the many Christians who are genuinely good people because they manage to disregard most of the evil dictates of the Bible and somehow are able to rationalize that because this "holey" book contains a precious few genuinely useful moral precepts, we can ignore all the horror stories and anti-human commandments which characterize the God of the Bible (including his alter-ego, Jesus) as "the most unpleasant character in all of fiction". Unfortunately, as long as the Bible remains as the holy book behind all Christian texts, there is always the temptation to read it and take it all as literally the word of God (because it says it is). This fact inevitably leads to atrocities like Jonestown, hardline Catholicism, and Tea Party religious fanaticism. Good people like Bob should take the next logical step for them and join The Clergy Project and work to develop humanist communities based on evidence based assessment of what policies lead to the greatest good for the greatest number.

"Heresy makes for progress" - Hypatia Bradlaugh Bonner
[1 Corinthians 13:11] When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. - The Bible King James Version. See? Even the Bible says "Put me down!" Big Grin
14-03-2013, 03:08 PM
Having narrowly escaped the same vocation as Bob, I enjoyed the discussion and compliment both participants on their communication style and ability to display respect for each other while keeping beliefs on a separate plane. I imagine Seth has had a lot of practice on friends and family.
It was a great demonstration of how people can have an interesting discussion if they are not spending their time trying to prove themselves "right" or convert each other.

As always, thanks for the work!
19-03-2013, 10:10 AM
If the religious were like Bob, it wouldn't be worth the effort to argue against it. I've told my wife that I'd only visit a liberal christian church (if I'm forced to go) and I wouldn't mind going to Bob's.
[+] 1 user Likes FeelHappiness's post