Podcast Sun. March 27th: Apology to Seth!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2011, 01:51 PM

Podcast Sun. March 27th: Apology to Seth!
Hmmm... To post here in Science or elsewhere... Oh, heck! This was "supposed" to be scientific so...here it is! Wink

As the last caller, I was quickly trying to use the observation that it almost always seems that everyone is somehow able to find their "True Love" within a 20 mile radius of wherever they happen to be at the time to show how it is possible that so many people overcome or at the very least put up with any differences in ideology they might have in their relationship. This ability to somehow always be able to find True Love right in one's "backyard" wasn't meant to belittle or invalidate anyone's feelings or the "magic" that exists in their life. I just meant that there are greater forces at work that bring people together into meaningful relationships rather than other "superficial" aspects; for example, like believing in the same things or liking the same colors. Things like that simply enhance, or even lessen, something else that is more powerful and fundamental at work: our biology. I didn't mean to imply that because chemicals are involved that it would lessen the quality or impact of the relationships we have with others that we care deeply about. Perhaps since we now have the time here, those among us who are more educated than I with regards to the biological sciences can now discuss, debate, refute and/or otherwise edify myself and others concerning these matters.

I guess the spark that made me think of this was the fact that if there were only one "breeding pair" of humans left on the planet, they would probably (Careful! I don't mean there is a 100% chance!) at some point fall in love. I brought up the "20 mile radius" simply because I am amazed at how "True Loves" happen to seem to always be relatively right next to each other. But perhaps my "science" is flawed since we haven't quantified, and probably can't quantify, how many "True Loves" have never met and thus will never know each other.

It almost sounded like I spurred Seth to reaffirm his love to his wife when he wrapped the show up. So in that regard, I guess I don't feel so bad because what he said was beautiful and seemed to tie the show up nicely. However, he probably already had that prepared already, too! hehehe...

At any rate, I hope no offense was made. However, after I hung up, we did have a good laugh back in chat because I said that I felt really bad after I apparently eluded to Seth that he was a "meat robot"... Blush

Anyhoo... Please, would somebody more qualified than me... Tongue Bring on the science! Smile

PS: Also, when Seth first said hello to me on the air, I replied with something to the effect of "Well, Seth, we all know how you feel, so I wont ask you how you are doing...Ha Ha Ha!" and he didn't laugh so... I'm sure I lost even more brownie points there... Way to go, Cyber! Confused Hehehe...
Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2011, 02:59 PM
RE: Podcast Sun. March 27th: Apology to Seth!
Welcome to the forum Cyber. Seth actually doesn't post on this forum, so if you want to direct something to him personally, I'd go with his facebook page. He's more active there. That's not to say your comments aren't welcome here. I'm sure you'll find some great discussion, and I hope you stick around!

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2011, 04:06 PM
Cyber - I think the twenty mile radius is very accurate in that most of the people we meet at any time in our lives will live in that radius. Also, the farther you get outside that radius the greater the chance that customs, beliefs, differences in influences, upbringing and customs will appear. We are best with people who share our ideals, ways and beliefs (or lack of) and feel most comfortable among them. This means that it makes mathematical sense that most true loves will be from people who live near each other.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
27-03-2011, 05:48 PM
Hello, last caller. I was the first caller.