Poets' Corner

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
01-11-2011, 07:07 PM
RE: Poets' Corner
(01-11-2011 06:50 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  We are stardust, we are golden, we are fucking billion year old carbon. Joni Mitchell's poem, but I just find CSNY's rendering more powerful.

As I'm sure you know, music is mathematics; with the poetry of man added, godlike stuff occurs. That shit rox. I can shut my hole and crank it up. There are those who "believe" in the primacy of a single artist or a pantheon - it is my consideration that all can produce art of quality. The identity of ellenjanuary is fifteen minutes with a ballpoint on a napkin - my portfolio - or there is no ellenjanuary. The artist within is the only judge whose verdict matters.

And Sylvia Plath rox, fool! Only... not in isolation, that's for sure. Big Grin

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2011, 07:23 PM
(01-11-2011 07:07 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(01-11-2011 06:50 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  We are stardust, we are golden, we are fucking billion year old carbon. Joni Mitchell's poem, but I just find CSNY's rendering more powerful.

As I'm sure you know, music is mathematics; with the poetry of man added, godlike stuff occurs.

I have mathematician friends who argue that mathematics is music. I tell them to just consider it a bijection then, shut their hole and crank it up. Big Grin

(01-11-2011 07:07 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  And Sylvia Plath rox, fool! Only... not in isolation, that's for sure. Big Grin

Clearly not in isolation. I mean you could wind up dead of carbon monoxide poisoning with your head in an oven.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
02-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Ebook
I'm starting to compile an ebook of the original poems here so I can read them on my Kindle and Android tablet. I may distribute this ebook to my friends and relatives who might be interested. If you don't want your poetry to leave this forum, speak now or forever hold your peace.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
02-11-2011, 06:27 PM

RE: Ebook
(02-11-2011 05:50 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I'm starting to compile an ebook of the original poems here so I can read them on my Kindle and Android tablet. I may distribute this ebook to my friends and relatives who might be interested. If you don't want your poetry to leave this forum, speak now or forever hold your peace.

Great idea, GirlMan, as long as proper credit is given -- to members of this Forum!

Spread it around, maybe it will do some good out there!

You just never know, do you?

Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2011, 06:41 PM
(02-11-2011 06:27 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  Great idea, GirlMan, as long as proper credit is given -- to members of this Forum!

Goes without saying, Zatamon. Got each poet in their own chapter. Girlyman's is pathetically short.

02-11-2011, 07:13 PM

OK, then.

Here is another for your collection: this one is different, recording my shocking realization that men and women are different (other than in the obvious way). Margaret Atwood was a major contributor (together with Sheri Tepper and Fay Weldon) to make me realize how different we are and how spoiled rotten and insensitive we (men) could be sometime.

Guilt
(Dedicated to Margaret Atwood and Vera who introduced me to her work)

god made me a man,
(in his image – at least that’s what they say)
and there's nothing that I can do.
Besides, why would I want to change it
when I enjoy all the advantages
that come with the title?
...women were just a frivolous afterthought,
an addendum to amuse me,
serve, spoil, and stroke my ego,
mirror to reflect my heroic stance,
long eye-lashes fluttering like wings of whimsical butterflies
and then lowered demurely.
This is what god intended -
can't you see?

Just say something!
don't look at me accusingly,
don't be such a goddamn martyr!
for Christ's sake,
don't fear me!
Have I ever threatened you
or hurt you
even in the tiniest way?
Yes, I know: I could hurt you.
I am stronger.
I have muscles bunched up on my arms and shoulders -
arms that could grab, tear, choke, strangle.
weight that could crush, smother and suffocate,
penis that could stab, plunge and violate...
but it isn't my fault
that you’re so small
and so fragile,
so delicate,
and so breathtakingly beautiful and vulnerable.
You can’t hold it against me that you are so weak
and you have been raped so often,
it’s not my fault.

Please,
don't torment me
with this guilt that tears me apart!
Can we make peace?…
…pretend we are equal,
pretend that god did not base his design on the food-chain
where the strong can and will devour the weaker
as a matter of course,
as a matter of survival.

And, if we can maintain this myth,
for an afternoon stroll in the garden,
arm in arm,
and head against a non-threatening shoulder,
then, perhaps,
for one magic and enchanted moment,
we can both feel healed, completed,
we can both forgive
and forget...

...till the next time
when I say something stupid
that will hurt you -
even though,
I could and would die without hesitation
to protect you from any harm...
...because you are what's best in me
you are what gives meaning to my pointless existence,
makes my life not entirely futile,
because,
as long as I possess and hold
something as beautiful and precious
as the love of someone like you
I can feel peace,
I can feel
redeemed,
forgiven
and
guiltless.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Zatamon's post
03-11-2011, 12:10 AM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2011 12:16 AM by houseofcantor.)
Aphrodite

the warriors once gathered
on the field
looked to the bones they had scattered
and what they would yield

not to be called cruel, these men
merely old and tired
remembering their moral ken
and the youth it expired

when will this fucking end
the commanders exclaimed
have we not made amends
for the sins of the age

let us now bundle these rods
let us now make a new right of law
let us no longer shed blood for vengeful gods
if truth will avail, let it be through common cause

that man I am need be no more than biology
and that no man is without mother plain to see
that if there come a day for new theology
let us love, Aphrodite

(got alla kinda female in this male Tongue)
(for GirlyMan - alla this stuff I do is original, but it is merely "love of my Gwynnies" - If you wanna do something with it, go, and do - you want my "take," it'd be some kinda "non profit thinking atheist kinda thingy" cause Gwynnie already paid me - in case there's "take" involved.)

(02-11-2011 07:13 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  OK, then.

Here is another for your collection: this one is different, recording my shocking realization that men and women are different (other than in the obvious way).

It's gender more than sex - I "swear to my Gwynnies" that's how Paul's morality had no conflict with YHWH - cause YHWH smarter than Paul, but psychology didn't get invented yet... I am "flaming heterosexual" not because I ain't gay ( Tongue) but rather I "seek to maximize completeness." If I ever get "stupid" and try to "complete YHWH" in my lifetime, I'm counting on my fellow atheists to shoot me in the head. Big Grin

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-11-2011, 01:10 AM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2011 01:58 AM by GirlyMan.)
Whew ... you all are a lot more prolific than I had initially estimated. But I think I got all the original content captured and up to date. Still a shitload of cleanup, formatting and polishing to do and I ain't all that good at that (any MS Word experts out there?). Here's my draft. Opt out now or forever hold your peace. TTAPoetry.pdf

04-11-2011, 01:56 AM
(04-11-2011 01:10 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Whew ... you all are a lot more prolific than I had initially estimated. But I think I got all the original (we wrote it, we didn't just reproduce it) content captured and up to date. Still a shitload of cleanup, formatting and polishing to do and I ain't all that good at that (any MS Word experts out there?). Here's my draft. Opt out now or forever hold your peace. TTAPoetry.pdf

YAY!!! Alphabetically I am first Big Grin

Its a wonderfull Idea GM and I know that everybody who reads it will be inspired......They certainly inspire me.....I also think religious people will be secretly jealous.....and the hardcore religious people will say it is our "lack of faith" that leads us to write such "nonsense" Big Grin

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
04-11-2011, 02:27 AM
(04-11-2011 01:56 AM)bemore Wrote:  ...and the hardcore religious people will say it is our "lack of faith" that leads us to write such "nonsense" Big Grin

It is our hardcore faith in us instead of the Easter Bunny that leads us to write such nonsense. Wink