Pokemon Fire-red

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-03-2014, 05:31 PM
Pokemon Fire-red
In a fit of nostalgia I've started playing on Pokemon Fire-red again. I've started a new game and have a rough idea of a strong six-pokemon team but I'm still keeping an open mind in case something surprises me with it's strength.

Anyways, I want a varied team and my current thoughts are to go as such (though they are subject to change);

Charizard
Pidgeot (or possibly Aerodactyl)
Raichu (subject to me acquiring a stone to evolve my Pikachu)
A water type (I'm considering Vaporeon or Poliwrath subject to me getting a water stone, or possibly Kabutops atm)
A grass type (I'm unsure here as there seem to be few that learn any good moves, I may go with Exeggutor or Vileplume but I'm not thrilled by the prospective movesets of either)

I'm unsure on the last one. I can't go with Alakazam, Golem, Gengar, or Machamp as I have no way to evolve them. I have a Mankey, a Butterfree, and a Beedrill atm but I'm not sure if they'll be worthy of being used at the Pokemon League.

Anyone got any suggestions they think I should consider here?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-03-2014, 06:07 PM
RE: Pokemon Fire-red
(17-03-2014 05:31 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  In a fit of nostalgia I've started playing on Pokemon Fire-red again. I've started a new game and have a rough idea of a strong six-pokemon team but I'm still keeping an open mind in case something surprises me with it's strength.

Anyways, I want a varied team and my current thoughts are to go as such (though they are subject to change);

Charizard
A water type (I'm considering Vaporeon or Poliwrath subject to me getting a water stone, or possibly Kabutops atm)
A grass type (I'm unsure here as there seem to be few that learn any good moves, I may go with Exeggutor or Vileplume but I'm not thrilled by the prospective movesets of either)

I'm unsure on the last one. I can't go with Alakazam, Golem, Gengar, or Machamp as I have no way to evolve them. I have a Mankey, a Butterfree, and a Beedrill atm but I'm not sure if they'll be worthy of being used at the Pokemon League.

6x Psyduck

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
17-03-2014, 06:09 PM
Try to catch a Magikarp, that's the best Pokemon.

[Image: ezgif_save_1.gif]
17-03-2014, 06:21 PM
[Image: Venusaur_by_Xous54.png]

Coolest mofo from kanto right here!!

[Image: get_some_by_addmedia-d78ip4k.gif] All request for metazoa info and my larger projects should be sent PM
17-03-2014, 10:35 PM
[Image: 2010-04-26.jpg]

Manly Guys Doing Manly Things

[Image: qce9oP7.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
18-03-2014, 12:23 AM
Re: Pokemon Fire-red
Go fish and get that ?#@! Fish.. Game breaking Pokemon right there

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
18-03-2014, 02:55 AM
No way to evolve them?
What an amateur...

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
18-03-2014, 03:36 AM (This post was last modified: 18-03-2014 03:42 AM by Free Thought.)
(17-03-2014 05:31 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  In a fit of nostalgia I've started playing on Pokemon Fire-red again. I've started a new game and have a rough idea of a strong six-pokemon team but I'm still keeping an open mind in case something surprises me with it's strength.

Charizard

Charizard is a good choice; it has good special attack, as is suitable for its Fire type and it is also a good chunk of bulk on the team.
Pidgeot is also a good idea, it's a very fast pokemon and it's decently bulky for a speedy flying type, but I would rather a Fearow; it has higher physical attack and speed. However it has overall lower stats everywhere else, whereas Pidgeot is far more balanced.
Raichu... That's tough... It has comparably high attack in all areas and decent speed; I say 'comparably' because of the rest of its stats are pretty low..
Lapras might seem over-played but it is a good water type: it is very bulky and has a good move pool. Or you could (and SHOULD) trudge through a Magikarp and get a Gyarados; Gyarados has monstrous attack and by going through the Magikarp phase it's even better stats-wise than just starting from a Gyarados from start.
If I were you, I'd forgo the grass type; I'd go with a Koffing/Weezing; it's got a decent move pool and makes for a good physical wall.

On the sixth... A Machoke in place of a Machamp is a good idea; it's not as powerful as it's evolution but makes for a wonderful hard-hitting fighting type due it its high physical attack.
Kadabra is similar to Machoke; it is not as good as Alakazam, but it is still formidable due it its Special attack and speed, but as with most psychics it lacks defence and HP... Alternatively a Golbat is a nice well-rounded pokemon with a decent move pool but it's something for a jack-of-all-trades; you need clever moves to get the most out of it as it doesn't really excel anywhere specific.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
18-03-2014, 02:25 PM
(18-03-2014 02:55 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  No way to evolve them?
What an amateur...

You try acquiring a second fire-red/leaf-green plus a link cable these days. Dodgy

(18-03-2014 03:36 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Charizard is a good choice; it has good special attack, as is suitable for its Fire type and it is also a good chunk of bulk on the team.
Pidgeot is also a good idea, it's a very fast pokemon and it's decently bulky for a speedy flying type, but I would rather a Fearow; it has higher physical attack and speed. However it has overall lower stats everywhere else, whereas Pidgeot is far more balanced.
Raichu... That's tough... It has comparably high attack in all areas and decent speed; I say 'comparably' because of the rest of its stats are pretty low..
Lapras might seem over-played but it is a good water type: it is very bulky and has a good move pool. Or you could (and SHOULD) trudge through a Magikarp and get a Gyarados; Gyarados has monstrous attack and by going through the Magikarp phase it's even better stats-wise than just starting from a Gyarados from start.
If I were you, I'd forgo the grass type; I'd go with a Koffing/Weezing; it's got a decent move pool and makes for a good physical wall.

On the sixth... A Machoke in place of a Machamp is a good idea; it's not as powerful as it's evolution but makes for a wonderful hard-hitting fighting type due it its high physical attack.
Kadabra is similar to Machoke; it is not as good as Alakazam, but it is still formidable due it its Special attack and speed, but as with most psychics it lacks defence and HP... Alternatively a Golbat is a nice well-rounded pokemon with a decent move pool but it's something for a jack-of-all-trades; you need clever moves to get the most out of it as it doesn't really excel anywhere specific.

Good call on the Lapras, I hadn't thought of that and may well go that way. I think I may get a few ice attacks that way as well. The reason I'm not doing the Magikarp/Gyarados thing is that I've done it a million times before and am looking to try something new.

I did consider a Golbat but I'm gonna play Soul-Silver again after this and I've already ear-marked myself for a Crobat on that.

What I could do is pick a grass-type (the more I think on it the more Exeggutor seems like the best choice in lieu of a Victreebel which is unavailable on fire-red) and then have a Weezing as my final choice. I've never raised a Koffing before so that could be interesting.

I don't really wanna have a non fully evolved pokemon so if I do forego a grass-type do you have any other suggestions? I was thinking perhaps a Dratini or a Rhydon if I could get one. What do you think?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
18-03-2014, 02:44 PM
(18-03-2014 02:25 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(18-03-2014 02:55 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  No way to evolve them?
What an amateur...

You try acquiring a second fire-red/leaf-green plus a link cable these days. Dodgy

(18-03-2014 03:36 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Charizard is a good choice; it has good special attack, as is suitable for its Fire type and it is also a good chunk of bulk on the team.

Good call on the Lapras, I hadn't thought of that and may well go that way. I think I may get a few ice attacks that way as well. The reason I'm not doing the Magikarp/Gyarados thing is that I've done it a million times before and am looking to try something new.

I did consider a Golbat but I'm gonna play Soul-Silver again after this and I've already ear-marked myself for a Crobat on that.

What I could do is pick a grass-type (the more I think on it the more Exeggutor seems like the best choice in lieu of a Victreebel which is unavailable on fire-red) and then have a Weezing as my final choice. I've never raised a Koffing before so that could be interesting.

I don't really wanna have a non fully evolved pokemon so if I do forego a grass-type do you have any other suggestions? I was thinking perhaps a Dratini or a Rhydon if I could get one. What do you think?

Personally, I generally forgo using Grass types, they tend to not have much of a place for me in my teams, so I don't really know about it, Victreebel does seem to have decent power behind it though.
I would recommend that you go for raising a Koffing. Once you have a strategy which works with the under-estimated type and move set it and Wheezing can work wonders chipping away at health with it's high physical defence.

Rhydon has good health and physical attack & defence and absolutely mediocre special and speed. If it goes up against a special-attacking pokemon it's almost sure to lose unless it downs it quick. Especially against a water-type due to it's rock-ground typing... But it's not bad, just a little difficult.

Dratini on the other hand I have absolutely no experience with. It looks like its stats are absolutely mediocre across the board and it would take time to get it to evolve, but pushing through to Dragonite would absolutely be worth the reward it seems.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.