Pokemon is from the devil.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2013, 06:41 PM
(02-04-2013 06:39 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(02-04-2013 06:28 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  So, Vera: Power Rangers?

Nah, just the captain and the turtles. That's all the dirty laundry I've got. Always was one for frugality. :angel:

Loved Karl May's books though and enjoyed his ardent religiousness :s And then it was high school and I was into mythology (among other things), which is far less shameful to admit.

Also, growing up in a secular house is great. Most assuredly.

I wonder if anyone's parents ever considered the works of Sid & Marty Kroft to be works of the devil? Now there's some memories...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2013, 06:42 PM
(02-04-2013 06:39 PM)Vera Wrote:  Also, growing up in a secular home is great. Most assuredly. Though it does make my becoming religious rather dumber, but...

Is it ever a wise thing?
02-04-2013, 06:44 PM
RE: Pokemon is from the devil.
(02-04-2013 12:50 PM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  Was anyone else here raised to believe that something ridiculous was from Satan?

I wasn't allowed to read Harry Potter, watch Pokemon OR Captain Planet. My parents also took the Sims 2 video game away from me when I was 16 because there was homosexuality in it. Tongue

Yes! My parents wouldn't let me play Pokemon because someone told them that Pokemon "got their powers from crystals", which is entirely untrue and based on looking at (but not actually playing) Pokemon cards. I also wasn't allowed to play video games like Final Fantasy or Dragon Warrior because they involved magic. And obviously I wasn't allowed to play Magic: The Gathering.

If I had been a smarter kid, I would've asked for a bible reference to back up their belief that these things were "sinful", because they're not. It would fall into the category of offering food to idols -- not specifically commanded against, therefore only sinful if one felt guilty. Trust me, I didn't feel guilty playing any of these awesome games, and I don't feel guilty enjoying them now that I have the freedom to do it.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
02-04-2013, 10:57 PM
(02-04-2013 12:50 PM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  Was anyone else here raised to believe that something ridiculous was from Satan?

I wasn't allowed to read Harry Potter, watch Pokemon OR Captain Planet. My parents also took the Sims 2 video game away from me when I was 16 because there was homosexuality in it. Tongue

Back in my private christian elementary school, we went allow to have Pokemon cards or anything Pokemon like. I remember going to attendance one morning and a few of the students and the teachers were at the front of the room and told everyone the reasons why, and my jaw literally dropped. They told us Pokemon was actually "witchcraft". I believe I was around 9-10 years old at the time, and that was the first time I looked at my fellow Christians as brainwashed drones.

On a side not. That day they also banned us from saying "Holy cow" because cows aren't holy...

If God exists I hope he has a good excuse -Woody Allen
[+] 1 user Likes Thoughtful Nate's post
03-04-2013, 12:46 AM
I would of thought the Capt. Planet hate was due to it's overtly liberal agenda trying to make kids environmentally conscious; that's the devil's work, God wants us to destroy all we want.

It also seems amusing that the problem with Sims 2 was that you could chose to have homosexual relationships.... not that you are literally playing god!

I never had any issues with things being banned from me, besides just normal mature/R games and movies until I was a mid teen.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
03-04-2013, 01:46 AM
It was weird for me. My mother created her own nightmare as for years she would consistently send me to psychiatrist who would always prescribe these heavy doses of medicines that were supposed to regulate the serotonin levels in my brain, but only ended up increasing my adrenaline levels, making me volatile and unstable. So after years of this (btw, my brain eventually leveled off so I'm what you could call somewhat back to normal) she once again got all Jesus'd up and started on me about the music I was listening to. She threatened to throw away all of my CD's. I told her that my music was the only thing that kept me from murdering her in her sleep. She quickly backed off...

Obama promised you change. Reach in your pocket, feel those coins? There's your change...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes DeathsNotoriousAngel's post
03-04-2013, 03:57 AM

It's really simple. If it's not of the Bible, it's from the devil. So go straight for the devil, he's actually from the Bible too, unlike Pokemons.
03-04-2013, 04:28 AM
My wife worked at a Christian primary school for a while. One young student reported another for having spiderman on a journal. He had been told spiderman was from the devil.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
03-04-2013, 05:20 AM
(02-04-2013 06:41 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  I wonder if anyone's parents ever considered the works of Sid & Marty Kroft to be works of the devil? Now there's some memories...

I don't know, but I know there was a huge outcry against Astrid Lindgren's The Brothers Lionheart (possibly my most beloved book in the whole world Heart ), though I'm not sure it was so much a Xtian thing, as it was a "kiddies should only read about fairy princesses and rabbits" kinda deal.

Then again, there was this idiot, who compared another of her books, Ronia, the Robber's Daughter, to Xtianity, and the 12 robbers in the book - to the apostles. Of course, that critic may have been onto something, even without realising it Consider

(02-04-2013 06:42 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Is it ever a wise thing?

I guess not, but if you've been brainwashed into it, you at least have an excuse. At least I wasn't in it 'cause I wanted to believe I was special and that I mattered to the universe, but mostly because I was labouring under the misapprehension that Xtianity was all about compassion and loving your brother. I also think something in my brain just went kablooey for a while.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
03-04-2013, 05:50 AM
(03-04-2013 12:46 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I would of thought the Capt. Planet hate was due to it's overtly liberal agenda trying to make kids environmentally conscious; that's the devil's work, God wants us to destroy all we want.

It also seems amusing that the problem with Sims 2 was that you could chose to have homosexual relationships.... not that you are literally playing god!

I never had any issues with things being banned from me, besides just normal mature/R games and movies until I was a mid teen.

Lol yeah, I made 2 of the girl Sims crush on each other and that's what got me into trouble. Not that I was purposely killing my Sims and making them into ghosts. Obviously murder isn't nearly as bad as homosexuality. Wink

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde