Poland - slide into fascism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2016, 04:13 AM
Poland - slide into fascism?
Polish government using climate of fear as a pretext made a new law. Allegedly it is about increasing cooperation of intelligence agencies and prepare for security threats but when one look behind the scene picture is different and quite scary.

Law include:
  • Limited freedom of assembly
  • Limited freedom of communication
  • Unlimited access to public databases for the Internal Security Agency
  • All foreigners [being] under suspicion
  • Internet blocking on demand of Internal Security Agency

There is also:
  • Arrest based on reasonable (or "reasonable") suspicion
  • Broader access to information about citizens available to paramilitary groups who are now considered part of state law enforcement

Coupled with still unresolved issue of Constitutional Court and Law and Justice hijacking public television it seems to me that Poland already fragile democracy may have taken hit which will knock it out.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
06-08-2016, 05:33 AM
RE: Poland - slide into fascism?
Do L&J want to build a wall?

Has there been any public outcry ... or is this law the reason why they were voted in in the first place?

06-08-2016, 05:44 AM
(06-08-2016 05:33 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Do L&J want to build a wall?

Fortress. And then make sure that people think that it is besieged.

(06-08-2016 05:33 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Has there been any public outcry ... or is this law the reason why they were voted in in the first place?

There were manifestations against gov and I think that this law is heavy handed attempt to curtail such. What's worse it may be step into the direction of "sovereign democracy" or another such nonsense. Wouldn't be surprising though, Poland has tradition of autocracy.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
06-08-2016, 10:16 AM
If you add the situation in Poland to the one in Japan, South Korea, Russia, Ukraine and the potential rise of Trump and Marine Le Pen, I am starting to get a little bit concerned about the sudden rise of authoritarianism in recent years. Lets hope we don't get another big financial crisis like the one in 2007 or this might start to smell really bad.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
06-08-2016, 11:51 AM
(06-08-2016 10:16 AM)epronovost Wrote:  If you add the situation in Poland to the one in Japan, South Korea, Russia, Ukraine and the potential rise of Trump and Marine Le Pen, I am starting to get a little bit concerned about the sudden rise of authoritarianism in recent years. Lets hope we don't get another big financial crisis like the one in 2007 or this might start to smell really bad.

Don't forget the Hungary and Belarus, or as some say Venezuela. Maybe Turkey too.

I'm not sure that we can speak about sudden rise of authoritarianism but sadly it appears that there isn't much that can be done about this. Look at Hungary and ineffectiveness of EU in regard to it's state of affairs.

As for things smelling really bad - it's already happened. Things are bad but from my limited knowledge it seems to me that modern autocrats are more concerned with internal issues rather than external ones, maybe with exception of Putin.

Mikhail Bakunin.
06-08-2016, 04:09 PM
Another person who likes to throw the word 'fascist' around.

Great.
06-08-2016, 04:21 PM
(06-08-2016 04:09 PM)Lucipurr Wrote:  Another person who likes to throw the word 'fascist' around.

Great.

Sadly, this is how it begins. How does one say "sieg heil" in American?

I always say, history repeats. I say it because it's true.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
07-08-2016, 12:32 AM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2016 12:41 AM by Szuchow.)
(06-08-2016 04:09 PM)Lucipurr Wrote:  Another person who likes to throw the word 'fascist' around.

Great.

Did you even read what new law entails?

Being able to wire tap foreigners phones without court orders is what liberal democracy is all about, am I right? Same with blocking public assemblies under the guise of terrorist threat.

(06-08-2016 04:21 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Sadly, this is how it begins. How does one say "sieg heil" in American?

I hope it will end on such beginnings and no further harm will be done but it is small hope.

(06-08-2016 04:21 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I always say, history repeats. I say it because it's true.

As Karl Marx said History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce. I think it would be a farce.

Mikhail Bakunin.
07-08-2016, 01:01 AM
(07-08-2016 12:32 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  

Great.

Did you even read what new law entails?

Being able to wire tap foreigners phones without court orders is what liberal democracy is all about, am I right? Same with blocking public assemblies under the guise of terrorist threat.

(06-08-2016 04:21 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Sadly, this is how it begins. How does one say "sieg heil" in American?

I hope it will end on such beginnings and no further harm will be done but it is small hope.

(06-08-2016 04:21 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I always say, history repeats. I say it because it's true.

As Karl Marx said History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce. I think it would be a farce.

We're long past second. Sad

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
07-08-2016, 01:09 AM
(07-08-2016 01:01 AM)Banjo Wrote:  We're long past second. Sad

It may be, though farce is still common in Poland as evidenced by National Plan of Procreation. Other moves of the gov are kinda scary though, like said anti-terrorist law.

Mikhail Bakunin.