Polenta

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2012, 01:13 PM
Polenta
A little polenta-story Big Grin
I first learnt what polenta is when I was 9. My mom had a friend from Poland and this friend made polenta a lot. So my mom decided that she would try it too. So she got corn flower and made polenta. With nothing else! She did not season the polenta either. So I, as a 9 yo, hated it. It tasted like crap and I let my mother know that. Although I did not get anything else for the rest of the day because I hadn't finished lunch and she wanted to teach me to finish lunch, I got her to give me something else in the evening Big Grin
MANY YEARS LATER, when I was 22 and for treatment in a day hospital, they served polenta a few times there. And I knew that this hospital, where I was, actually had pretty decent food, and everyone who had been there for a long time already and was in my group told me to try it because it is good. So I tried it. And
it was so fucking good. It was filled with some veggies and there was sauce that came with it. Very delicious.
After the hospital I pretty much forgot about polenta until 25 when I moved to Romania. And polenta is very common here and often they serve it with food instead of bread. So I tried it and it tasted kinda boring to me until I was shown how it is being eaten here.
So in Romania they serve this weird white cheese (looks like goat cheese but isn't) and eggs and sometimes yoghurt as well. And you just mix all this together and it is supposed to taste good. I found that I like it mixed with a bit of egg.

Just a quick explanation: Polenta is basically cornflower cooked with water.

Now when I make it, I always season it with soupconduments. Veggie soup cubes are perfect for that. And I also put a splash of milk in, instead of only Water.

Today I checked out the exact measures and it is 1 cup of cornflower with 3 cups of water. So I used 1 cup cornflower, 1 cup milk, 2 cups water.
Worked great.
I filled it in a baking dish and let it cool down a little. When I took it out it actually looked very nice and kept shape.

So do you have any polenta tips that I could try out as well?

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-10-2012, 01:41 PM
RE: Polenta
Do you know that here we have a slightly derogatory name for you guys, that basically means polenta-eaters (but we use the word mamaliga)... Well, no one uses it anymore, but it does exist. Yes

(My grand-parents used to make with cheese and butter; also - with fried bits of meat; they would also cut it with a piece of thread... oh, I want to be a kiddie again...)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Find all posts by this user
26-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Polenta
Watch out, Leela. Not-so-horrible-Vera may become horrible Vera afterall! Laughat

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
26-10-2012, 03:38 PM
hm the bacon bits sound interesting, I will try that next time.
once i put veggies in (instead of soup cubes) that was ... well.... not so tasty Big Grin

Erxomai: Leave my not-horrible-Vera alone!

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
26-10-2012, 03:57 PM
(26-10-2012 02:59 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Watch out, Leela. Not-so-horrible-Vera may become horrible Vera afterall! Laughat

Hey, it was the Not Horrible, where did this bloody "so" come from? I would be either totally horrible or totally not horrible, but this tepidity No in the words of Bernard Black - "Up with this I will not put!"

(26-10-2012 03:38 PM)Leela Wrote:  hm the bacon bits sound interesting, I will try that next time.
once i put veggies in (instead of soup cubes) that was ... well.... not so tasty Big Grin

It wasn't actually bacon, but big chunks of fried pork... bacon would work, too, though, I think...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
26-10-2012, 06:59 PM
(26-10-2012 03:57 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(26-10-2012 02:59 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Watch out, Leela. Not-so-horrible-Vera may become horrible Vera afterall! Laughat

Hey, it was the Not Horrible, where did this bloody "so" come from? I would be either totally horrible or totally not horrible, but this tepidity No in the words of Bernard Black - "Up with this I will not put!"

(26-10-2012 03:38 PM)Leela Wrote:  hm the bacon bits sound interesting, I will try that next time.

It wasn't actually bacon, but big chunks of fried pork... bacon would work, too, though, I think...
I just thought it rolled off the tongue better that way. Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel