Police Fatally Shoot Dog. Justified or Police Brutality out of Sheer Spite?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2013, 01:23 PM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2013 01:42 AM by Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver.)
Video Police Fatally Shoot Dog. Justified or Police Brutality out of Sheer Spite?
I saw this on The Young Turks last night. This was a sidenote to a 2 hour standoff between Hawthorne, CA, Police and an armed robber.

WARNING: THIS THREAD CONTAINS GRAPHIC FOOTAGE. IF SEEING AN ANIMAL SUFFER COULD UPSET YOU, PLEASE REFRAIN FROM PUSHING PLAY ON THE VIDEOS BELOW.

A crowd gathered to watch the police standoff and brought out the video cameras and cell phones to record these events on video. The dog's owner is then detained after placing the dog in the car with the windows down. In the process the dog escapes and comes after the owner and the cops. A police officer reaches down for the dog and the 100+ lb Rottweiler lunges at him. In response the officer draws his sidearm and fires 4 times, fatally wounding the animal.

A case can be made that the dog's owner had not done anything illegal. After all, he was only standing on the street using his cell phone and talking, no law against that, right?

On the other hand, he was out there catcalling the cops and trying to provoke an altercation between himself and the police. You can hear him calling and asking the police "Why are there no black cops with you?" to the snickering approval of his buddies across the street, also videotaping this. My guess is that they were trying to get a reaction from the police, then put the video up on YouTube and try to paint the police as brutal assholes.

Now don't get me wrong. i don't mind using a video camera to record an arrest because there are many, many instances where police develop a gang mentality and abuse their power to commit brutal acts against a suspect. But you don't go out of your way to approach or harass the police officers there trying to deal with an armed robber whose barricaded himself inside a building (it was dangerous enough to warrant uniformed officers to carry MP5 submachine guns).

The dog shooting was a tragic byproduct of this provocation. The owner, now having provoked the cops, tries to secure the dog in his car so he can continue his stunt. But he carelessly leaves the windows open in a manner that the dog can escape from. The owner continues to resist and argues with the cops causing the dog, as dogs do, to become agitated and said dog escapes through the open window of the car. At this point you have a 100+ plus pound Rottweiler loose and becoming aggressive. I will also say a dog that large can kill a human if it gets it in its head to do so.

For those who are not aware, under most jurisdictions, police are justified to use deadly force against a canine, if it attacks them. Police have shot and killed dogs before when they have attacked an officer as happened here when a Nampa, ID, policeman knocks on a homeowner's door and the owner is careless enough to allow his dogs to escape.

I wonder what the law would say if the situation was reversed i.e. the police employ a K-9 unit against a suspect, who, fearing for his life from the dog, draws a gun and shoot and kills the K-9.

What about less lethal options? Could the cops have simply pepper sprayed the dog to stop it? TASERs seem to have a good record as this LAPD officer demonstrates against an angry Rottweiler.

Again this situation is very tragic.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2013, 01:20 AM
RE: Police Fatally Shoot Dog. Justified or Police Brutality out of Sheer Spite?
"Oh hey I guess I'll just check out this thread before heading to bed...."

FUUUUUUUU.....
[+] 2 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
04-07-2013, 01:52 AM
(04-07-2013 01:20 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  "Oh hey I guess I'll just check out this thread before heading to bed...."

FUUUUUUUU.....

Not exactly light reading, is it?

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
04-07-2013, 06:18 AM
"To punish and enslave"
- Barricades police form, the only good qoute from the transformers movie

[Image: 9f6.gif]