[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2016, 10:56 PM
RE: Police Fatally Shoot Man During Traffic Stop
I'm sure it was all just a big misunderstanding Dodgy

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
13-07-2016, 05:20 AM
Policemen can't read minds. If any colleague of the officer in question was shot in a similar situation where a perpetrator tried to lull them into a false sense of security, I'm sure he shot to avoid that scenario. In a country where citizens can carry firearms, policemen are in legitimate danger every day and they are surely trained to protect themselves as a priority, so one should do everything in their power to look and act less suspicious.
13-07-2016, 05:40 AM (This post was last modified: 13-07-2016 05:57 AM by DLJ.)
(13-07-2016 05:20 AM)Naridar Wrote:  ...
I'm sure he shot to avoid that scenario.

I'm not so sure.

This is was a guy who had got used to being pulled over by the cops and must have known how to keep calm. Multiple 'offenses' had been thrown out of court before.

She said he was licensed to carry and was reaching for his ID, as he had been asked to, and was shot anyway.

This was a guy who was a cafeteria supervisor at a Montessori School "where he memorized the names of the 500 children he served every day — along with their food allergies, his former coworker said."

EDITED TO ADD:
From now on, no Americans can post in the "What is your latest first world problem?" thread.

Your country no longer qualifies.

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
13-07-2016, 06:24 AM
He might have been reaching for his ID, but from the policeman's perspective, there was a risk that he might not (in the first article, the officer said “I told him not to reach for it! I told him to get his hand out …”). Having a licence to carry a firearm doesn't prevent someone from shooting the officer.

Also, the fact that the media, hungry for scandals to report, jumps over these cases and and in most cases, immediately vilifies police officers, further makes the policemen feel unprotected and abandoned - they protect themselves any way they can because their employer, the state, is powerless and/or unwilling to. If people willingly start jumping on this bandwagon of using media attention to police the police, the consequences will be unimaginable. I already find the reactions of the woman on the video almost unbelievable - how can her voice be so calm minutes (or even maybe seconds?) after her boyfriend got shot right in front of her?! If it happened to me, getting out my phone and filming what happens would be the last priority on my mind, what happened to my child would be no.1 (she only mentions her daughter about a minute in).

I fail to see how his workplace is relevant. That he was stopped before a lot of times means he had some routine regarding these situations - Occam's razor would point to some circumstance being different this time around. Maybe he seemed anxious because of the weed in the car (mentioned in the article and the video at 7:10) and it was interpreted as being about to shoot - or maybe he was under the influence and he reacted differently from usual. Until we hear the policeman's testimony, we can't be sure how it happened.
[+] 1 user Likes Naridar's post
13-07-2016, 06:28 AM
(13-07-2016 05:20 AM)Naridar Wrote:  ...
I'm sure he shot to avoid that scenario.

(13-07-2016 06:24 AM)Naridar Wrote:  ...
we can't be sure how it happened.

Noted.

Thank you.

Thumbsup

13-07-2016, 06:36 AM
Duly noted. I meant in the first post that in my opinion, the policeman likely shot (I admit the term "sure" was a bit strong) because he noticed something he interpreted as aggression. What we can't be sure of is what that was.
[+] 1 user Likes Naridar's post
13-07-2016, 08:10 AM
(13-07-2016 06:36 AM)Naridar Wrote:  Duly noted. I meant in the first post that in my opinion, the policeman likely shot (I admit the term "sure" was a bit strong) because he noticed something he interpreted as aggression. What we can't be sure of is what that was.

... And proceeded to let a man die in front of him.

And you're so goddamn desperate to defend this guy that you resort to some kind of conspiracy theory involving the girlfriend?
Quote: I already find the reactions of the woman on the video almost unbelievable - how can her voice be so calm minutes (or even maybe seconds?) after her boyfriend got shot right in front of her?! If it happened to me, getting out my phone and filming what happens would be the last priority on my mind, what happened to my child would be no.1 (she only mentions her daughter about a minute in).

You're a special kind of special.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
13-07-2016, 08:31 AM
I dunno....

I saw a bit of the video -- and in my experience -- when someone sees somebody they know get killed -- they're not likely to be in a frame of mind to calmly and rationally speak -- let alone video record the whole event....................

It honestly looks staged...........

Is it??? I don't know.

Neither does anyone else at this point...

If it's real -- that woman needs to be a war correspondent.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
13-07-2016, 09:06 AM
(13-07-2016 08:31 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I dunno....

I saw a bit of the video -- and in my experience -- when someone sees somebody they know get killed -- they're not likely to be in a frame of mind to calmly and rationally speak -- let alone video record the whole event....................

It honestly looks staged...........

Is it??? I don't know.

Neither does anyone else at this point...

If it's real -- that woman needs to be a war correspondent.....

Super composed for sure. She is in shock. For some people in shock, things slow down. She talks to the cop as if he, not she, her daughter and the dying guy are the real victims. And that is exactly what a lot of people will think.

Gunshots, in an enclosed space. A daughter in the back seat. A jumpy cop still pointing the weapon in the car, finger on trigger. Ready to take her out too if he does not see her hands. What happens if she panics and acts "normally"? Her calm demeanor probably saved her life.

She wants to get out alive. And if she doesn't, she wants it documented. Because nobody would believe anything different from the police narrative if she is killed.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 3 users Like tomilay's post