Police Vehicle Chases & Apprehension of Criminals

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2017, 02:28 AM
Exclamation Police Vehicle Chases & Apprehension of Criminals
I was interested to learn of the reasons why police in Melbourne (Australia) are reluctant to and/or no longer pursue suspect/fleeing/fail to stop vehicles in the state of Victoria. Have a look st this police dash cam video—until the end—and let me know what you think, particularly in comparison with the chase/apprehend policies of most US police. Think of PIT maneuvers (which Victorian police seem ignorant of) and/or stop strips, and/or shooting out tyres, ramming etc.....

Anyway—unbelievably in my opinion—the (lone) pursuing leading senior constable was charged with reckless conduct endangering serious injury, dangerous driving, and careless driving after colliding with a fleeing vehicle.

When his case went to court, he was rightly acquitted of the three charges, but it was basically the end of any advancement within the police force, as his name was permanently tainted.

Compare the Australian video (above) with a typical US police PIT maneuver, and note that no third parties were injured, and the perpetrators were captured in a relatively short time span.

We've just last month had a case of a maniac driver charged with attempted murder, in a stolen car deliberately ramming pedestrians in a nominally pedestrian street mall in Melbourne's CBD which killed 6 people including a baby, and put 30 people in hospital, some of whom are still there 4 weeks later. The major question being asked by the public and the commentariat is why—prior to the mall massacre—did the police follow this guy for nearly two hours through adjacent suburbs without apprehending him, or even attempting to ram his vehicle when he was actually stationary—caught in peak traffic at two different locations?

So... US cops see the apprehension of criminals in motor vehicles as being routine, and practicable with little danger to innocent third parties, while the Aussie cops charge their own members if they successfully apprehend criminals in vehicles, with no third party injuries. This could be caused by the fear of litigation (as per the above Aussie cop) or just crappy training or a lack thereof, or a lack of effective police command.

I've driven those roads in the video many times as I used to live in that locale, so I understand the road and traffic conditions there very well.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-02-2017, 05:18 AM
RE: Police Vehicle Chases & Apprehension of Criminals
A couple of .50 calibers mounted facing forward (think Batmobile) -- and you can bet that after a couple of uses - people wouldn't try running from the cops....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
18-02-2017, 05:48 AM

This needs to be a thing, especially if the suspect is stationary.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 2 users Like Loom's post
18-02-2017, 08:11 AM
(18-02-2017 05:48 AM)Loom Wrote:  

This needs to be a thing, especially if the suspect is stationary.

Trying to maneuver that close during a high-speed seems like it'd be very dangerous and an impact would send one or vehicles into other lanes. If the suspect is stationary then it might have some value but approaching a stopped vehicle that closely puts the police in additional danger. I don't see that thing as practical at all.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
18-02-2017, 08:21 AM
(18-02-2017 08:11 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Trying to maneuver that close during a high-speed seems like it'd be very dangerous and an impact would send one or vehicles into other lanes. If the suspect is stationary then it might have some value but approaching a stopped vehicle that closely puts the police in additional danger. I don't see that thing as practical at all.

I'd agree. To get the thing to work in a real life-and-death situation is a lot different to getting it to work on a closed track, and where the target vehicle is obviously cooperating with the pursuing vehicle. And I've never seen a cop car approach within a few metres of the rear of a fleeing vehicle at 160km/h LOL. Well, unless they're gonna carry out a PIT, but then they're well offside.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
18-02-2017, 08:25 AM
For some reason I can't quote posts. Gorram phone.

I think the grappler has its applications, and certainly seems safer than the pit maneuver. But, obviously it's not an end-all meets-all solution to dangerous chases.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
18-02-2017, 10:51 AM
The cops are going with wrap-around guards on their cars to reduce damage during the P.I.T. maneuvers.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user