Police investigating complaint of blasphemy against Stephen Fry

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2017, 09:47 AM
RE: Police investigating complaint of blasphemy against Stephen Fry
...Today I Learned blasphemy laws were still a thing in more countries than Pakistan and Saudi Arabia.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Shai Hulud's post
06-05-2017, 09:50 AM
The more cynical side of me wonders if this was intentional to call attention to the ridiculous law. On the other hand, it'll probably mean that many more people will hear his response and that's a good thing whether it was the intended outcome or not.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
06-05-2017, 09:53 AM
(06-05-2017 06:12 AM)Marozz Wrote:  It would be interesting if it went all the way to court. I'd love to see Stephen Fry take the stand and defend himself against such a ridiculous charge.

And because the protests outside the courthouse would be Epic.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 3 users Like Paleophyte's post
06-05-2017, 10:00 AM
Do the legislators in Ireland realise that this is 2017, and not 1817? I've never even thought about supposed "blasphemy" still existing in an developed, first-world country. The word itself originated in the 13th century, but apparently everybody else other than the Irish government—minus a few billion Muslims [sic ]—have moved on... a little, LOL.

From this little storm in a teacup, can I assume that the Irish populous is yet to accept and reinforce the necessary separation of Church and State?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
06-05-2017, 10:13 AM
(06-05-2017 10:00 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Do the legislators in Ireland realise that this is 2017, and not 1817?

To be fair, they are all drunk when they write the laws. A few idiotic ideas are bound to slip through now and then.

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
06-05-2017, 11:17 AM
Police investigating complaint of blasphemy against Stephen Fry
I don't want to hear anything else about the US and religion. At least I can say "Fuck God" and not get in trouble.
06-05-2017, 12:41 PM
(06-05-2017 10:00 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Do the legislators in Ireland realise that this is 2017, and not 1817? I've never even thought about supposed "blasphemy" still existing in an developed, first-world country. The word itself originated in the 13th century, but apparently everybody else other than the Irish government—minus a few billion Muslims [sic ]—have moved on... a little, LOL.

From this little storm in a teacup, can I assume that the Irish populous is yet to accept and reinforce the necessary separation of Church and State?

The good news is that things are changing for the better in Ireland. In the 2016 census one in 10 Irish people said they have no religion, a 73.6% increase since 2011. This makes ‘no religion’ the second largest group in this category behind Roman Catholics.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
06-05-2017, 12:50 PM
Soooooo... What exactly does one have to do to get charged with blasphemy?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
06-05-2017, 12:56 PM
Ha ha ha ... oops ... Blasphemy!
So, Steven Fry pissed off a few religious nutbags back in 2015 ... and gets investigated for it today.

Evidently, there was some sort of "blasphemy law" instated in 2009 but no one has faced any charges because of it... until now.

Quote:The law prohibits people from publishing or uttering "matter that is grossly abusive or insulting in relation to matters held sacred by anyreligion, thereby causing outrage among a substantial number of the adherents of that religion".

The government said at the time it was needed because the republic's 1937 constitution only gives Christians legal protection of their beliefs.

Hmm Consider so ... god needs people to make not only laws but laws with specific protections ...?

Good to know.

I wonder if Steven will be advised which god he pissed off. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
06-05-2017, 12:59 PM
Oh poop - I just made a similar thread.
Can I get a modmerge on this? Or should I just copy/paste my one and only comment? Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post