But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
06-05-2017, 01:05 PM
RE: Police investigating complaint of blasphemy against Stephen Fry
Thanks Moms! Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
06-05-2017, 02:59 PM
I'm so confused.... I thought Stephen Fry's existence was blasphemy.....

No really, what are they gonna do arrest him? This is so fucking weird.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
07-05-2017, 03:08 AM
(06-05-2017 12:56 PM)kim Wrote:  So, Steven Fry pissed off a few religious nutbags back in 2015 ... and gets investigated for it today.

Evidently, there was some sort of "blasphemy law" instated in 2009 but no one has faced any charges because of it... until now.

Quote:The law prohibits people from publishing or uttering "matter that is grossly abusive or insulting in relation to matters held sacred by anyreligion, thereby causing outrage among a substantial number of the adherents of that religion".

If people were to set up a Stephen Fry cult then protesters against his blasphemy could themselves then be prosecuted for outraging Fryists.

“I am not responsible for actions of the imaginary version of me you have inside your head.” - John Scalzi

[+] 2 users Like Norm Deplume's post
07-05-2017, 05:58 AM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2017 06:23 AM by Vera.)
(07-05-2017 03:08 AM)Norm Deplume Wrote:  
(06-05-2017 12:56 PM)kim Wrote:  So, Steven Fry pissed off a few religious nutbags back in 2015 ... and gets investigated for it today.

Evidently, there was some sort of "blasphemy law" instated in 2009 but no one has faced any charges because of it... until now.

If people were to set up a Stephen Fry cult then protesters against his blasphemy could themselves then be prosecuted for outraging Fryists.

"Whenever two or three are gathered together in my name, they shall perform the Parrot Sketch..."

Int.: Indeed. "It is an ex-parrot..."

All: "...it has Ceased to Be."

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
07-05-2017, 07:17 AM
(07-05-2017 05:58 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(07-05-2017 03:08 AM)Norm Deplume Wrote:  If people were to set up a Stephen Fry cult then protesters against his blasphemy could themselves then be prosecuted for outraging Fryists.

"Whenever two or three are gathered together in my name, they shall perform the Parrot Sketch..."

Int.: Indeed. "It is an ex-parrot..."

All: "...it has Ceased to Be."

Right on! You know ... people even try to say that Hitler was a non-believer but there's so much evidence ...
[Image: Mein-kampfy-chair.jpg]

It's always about one's own agenda. Angel

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
07-05-2017, 07:35 AM
Maybe what we need is a world-wide campaign to email that "Jesus fucking Christ" image to appropriate parties.
07-05-2017, 07:37 AM
This is hilarious, Kimmie, hadn't seen it before, may Christ have mercy on our souls for making such a joke Rolleyes

[Image: Mein-Kampfy-Chair_o_92968.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
07-05-2017, 12:08 PM
(06-05-2017 09:47 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  ...Today I Learned blasphemy laws were still a thing in more countries than Pakistan and Saudi Arabia.

Add Afghanistan to those two and you have countries where blasphemers can be sentenced to death (Yemen might be a fourth). In many other countries penalties are fines or imprisonment, though Sudan allows for up to forty lashes which is more than barbaric enough.

It is surprising and somewhat depressing to see how widespread statutes against blasphemy still are.

[Note to Leftpondians: 'somewhat' is British understatement; words used in other countries might be 'wholly', 'completely', 'vastly' or 'massively'.]

“I am not responsible for actions of the imaginary version of me you have inside your head.” - John Scalzi

08-05-2017, 11:11 AM
No surprise I suppose, police have dropped the case against Mr. Fry. Apparently there wasn't a large enough group of "outraged" people.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/exc...92915.html

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 4 users Like Marozz's post