Police officer cleared in Minneapolis shooting.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-06-2017, 06:50 AM (This post was last modified: 18-06-2017 06:55 AM by onlinebiker.)
Police officer cleared in Minneapolis shooting.
http://www.startribune.com/fifth-day-of-...428862473/

Short story - cop pulls guy over.

Guy has gun, and concealed permit ,says ," I have a gun" and reaches for it despite cops warning. Cop shoots guy.

Protests ensue.

Who fucked up?

I agree with the cop.
I carry concealed every day. I've been pulled over when carrying. I haven't been shot.

Why?
I do it right, every time.

Right way.

( hands away from body where cop can see at all times)

(Spoken slowly and clearly, with appropriate paused)
"Officer, I have a legal requirement to fulfill........ I have a concealed carry permit......I am carrying today"...

Wrong way

" I gotta gun" ( reach for it)

See the difference????

If not - you shouldn't carry a gun.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
18-06-2017, 07:28 AM (This post was last modified: 18-06-2017 07:32 AM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Police officer cleared in Minneapolis shooting.
(18-06-2017 06:50 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  http://www.startribune.com/fifth-day-of-...428862473/

Short story - cop pulls guy over.

Guy has gun, and concealed permit ,says ," I have a gun" and reaches for it despite cops warning. Cop shoots guy.

Protests ensue.

Who fucked up?

I agree with the cop.
I carry concealed every day. I've been pulled over when carrying. I haven't been shot.

Why?
I do it right, every time.

Right way.

( hands away from body where cop can see at all times)

(Spoken slowly and clearly, with appropriate paused)
"Officer, I have a legal requirement to fulfill........ I have a concealed carry permit......I am carrying today"...

Wrong way

" I gotta gun" ( reach for it)

See the difference????

If not - you shouldn't carry a gun.

Nope. It's the COP'S JOB to control the situation, not yours. He didn't.

Story : very nice guy gets pulled over for nothing but a broken tail light, ends up dead. Fuck.

How this simple situation got immediately and totally out of control, is the cop's and his department's fault. Totally incompetent cop and police department and police training.

Technically he may have thought the guy was going for his gun, (which the others in the car dispute ... he was getting his license or the permit ?) ... it doesn't matter. So he got off, by saying he "feared for his life". Who caused that ? He did. Who IS guilty is the training and system that allowed this fool on the street as a cop ? The police department. He never said, "put your hands on the wheel", "keep your hands up", "put your hands up sir". Technically the jury did the right thing, according to the law right now. I hope his department gets sued for many many millions. They are responsible for this horrific outcome. The cop was not prepared for or trained what to do in this situation. If he was trained, and should have known what to do, the HE should be sued for many millions. It's nothing but a case of utter police incompetence.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 9 users Like Bucky Ball's post
18-06-2017, 07:40 AM
I disagree.

You take on a responsibility when you carry a concealed handgun.

Part of that responsibility is to interface properly with law enforcement officers should such interaction occur.

If you can't accept that responsibility, don't carry as gun.

Or are you a "wild West" kinda guy???

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
18-06-2017, 07:43 AM
(18-06-2017 07:40 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I disagree.

Part of that responsibility is to interface properly with law enforcement officers should such interaction occur.

Nope. He TOLD the cop he had a gun. That was his responsibility.
He doesn't have to act the way YOU want.

It was the cop that failed to act properly after receiving that information.
He NEVER told the guy he shot what to do. He failed to keep control of his stop for the tail light.
The Police Dept agrees. He is terminated.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
18-06-2017, 07:45 AM

You're blaming the victim here.

The police officer is the one that is in charge of the interaction since he pulled the civilian over. The civilian was not a threat by any stretch.

The officer's response was clearly over-the-top. He could not have made a worse mistake. The officer was either poorly trained, or unsuited by temperament, to be in uniform.

Sorry, my friend, but you're on the wrong side of this one.
[+] 3 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
18-06-2017, 07:52 AM (This post was last modified: 18-06-2017 08:12 AM by onlinebiker.)
(18-06-2017 07:43 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

Nope. He TOLD the cop he had a gun. That was his responsibility.
He doesn't have to act the way YOU want.

It was the cop that failed to act properly when receiving that information.

The Police Dept agrees. He is terminated.

It's very obvious you have never been in this sort of situation.

You never say " I have a gun" first. That's what gets you shot. This is stressed heavily in concealed carry classes.

You do it just like I said. "Legal requirement, I have a permit, I am carrying today".

If you don't get that, there's no help for you, and you should not carry.

This is 16 years of experience.

What you got???

[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
18-06-2017, 08:06 AM
(18-06-2017 07:45 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  

You're blaming the victim here.

The police officer is the one that is in charge of the interaction since he pulled the civilian over. The civilian was not a threat by any stretch.

The officer's response was clearly over-the-top. He could not have made a worse mistake. The officer was either poorly trained, or unsuited by temperament, to be in uniform.

Sorry, my friend, but you're on the wrong side of this one.

And yet - 12 people who saw the evidence disagree with you ( who did not see it,).

How do you come to the conclusion that your obvious bias is more true than the opinions of those who saw the evidence???

[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
18-06-2017, 08:06 AM
(18-06-2017 07:52 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  You never say " I have a gun" first. That's what gets you shot. This is stressed heavily in concealed carry classes.

Quote:You do it just like I said. "Legal requirement, I have a permit, I am carrying today".

You are kidding, right ? Those are THE SAME THING. That's WHAT HE DID.

Quote:If you don't get t[/i][/b]hat, there's no help for you, and you should not carry.

I don't. I'm not a "Wild West" kind of guy, (like you).

Quote:This is 16 years of experience.

What you got???

None. My experience is not the issue here. (Nice try though, at changing the subject). I know an INCOMPETENT cop when I see one, and a guy with a broken tail light is NOT directed what to do, ends up dead by a cop who does NOTHING right. The COP is the professional in this situation, and he got his ass fired for doing it all wrong.

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
18-06-2017, 08:25 AM
Bucky

Go to the link to the story.

13th paragraph from bottom.

The defense says he said " ,,I have a gun" .

No mention of a permit.

It's obvious from the outcome that the jury found that credible.

How do you "know" otherwise???

18-06-2017, 09:13 AM
I'm going to have disagree with onlinebiker, not something I normally do because we agree on a lot when it comes to guns.

But I'm the type that believes in the 2nd amendment 100%. This citizen had the right to be armed, and to not be shot unless he was an actual threat, not just a potential threat.

I think that cops OVERTRAIN on shooting a suspect. Many law enforcement training scenarios I have been a part of emphasise the "you have to go home every night" aspect. The trainers tell the students "Its better to be judged by 9 than carried by 6." I have always disagreed with that kind of thinking. This shoot first ask questions later mentality is one of the reasons I left sworn law enforcement and moved to the private sector into private investigation. Frankly, I didn't trust most of the guys I worked with to make the right decisions.

Don't get me wrong. I believe the majority of police shootings are justified. I'll even stick up for the guy that shot Treyvon Martin. But this was a bad shooting.

The fact is, most Americans have the right to carry firearms (except in the communist states of California, New York, New Jersey and Illinois where it's next to impossible to get a permit). I always assume that everyone is armed. I approached every traffic stop with the thought that the person I have pulled over is armed. My eyes are on their hands. If they reached into their pockets for I.D. I can see if they pull a gun or not. I've had people tell me they have a gun in the glove box and their registration is in there as well. Never felt the need to shoot them over it.

This cop was overtrained for the boogeyman. The victim was black, and the cop already had it in his mind that he was the suspect in a robbery. A jumpy cop, trained to "go home at night" with a person he believed to be suspect just made for a bad situation.

This was a bad shooting. Not justified in any way. The victim was a good guy (he qualified for a concealed permit which tells me enough about his character).

Now I live in Arizona. Yesterday I was in Chick-fil-a having some lunch. There was a table of cops eating nearby. Arizona is an open carry state. Probably 5 guys in there eating with guns on their hips. Standing right next to the cops. No questions. No freaking out. Cops don't even bat an eye. Black. White. Asian. Hispanic. Didn't matter. Visible guns don't make real cops nervous unless they're pointed at them. I assume every person with a gun is a good guy until they give me a reason not to.

Cops need to stop chasing the boogeyman.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
[+] 10 users Like Lord Dark Helmet's post