Police officer cleared in Minneapolis shooting.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2017, 02:44 PM
RE: Police officer cleared in Minneapolis shooting.
(23-06-2017 02:39 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(23-06-2017 12:52 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Not being familiar with American jurisprudence here... is it possible for the Public Prosecutor's department to lodge an application for a retrial with an appeals court? In Australia, the DPP can do so for any perceived miscarriage of justice, such as an acquittal, or a manifestly inadequate sentence.

No America has a Double Jeopardy law that states once you are found Not Guilty you can never be retried for the same charges.

To further clarify it is the 5th Amendment of the Constitution that prevents this.

Quote:No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
23-06-2017, 03:51 PM
(23-06-2017 12:52 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Not being familiar with American jurisprudence here... is it possible for the Public Prosecutor's department to lodge an application for a retrial with an appeals court? In Australia, the DPP can do so for any perceived miscarriage of justice, such as an acquittal, or a manifestly inadequate sentence.

The only option is to appeal, and usually in criminal proceedings, it's hard to prove that there was an error the judge made during the trial that might have altered the verdict.

Also as Revs pointed out, double jeapodry comes into play, so no he cannot be retried for the same crime.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

23-06-2017, 04:12 PM
I should also add that I feel this case is complete disturbing on many levels.

I support the police, I've been friends over the years with many cops and their families. This, however gives me pause, I cannot help but to feel justice was not served.

In Ohio yet another mistrial was declared in an officer involved shooting...

I don't know there's a lot of psychological fears that could be working in these odd verdicts.

You have to live in those communities, do you really want to be part of the group that sends a cop away? I'm not saying the police would retaliate, but if I were on those juries..

I might think twice before dialing 911 -- just in case my name did get out there.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
23-06-2017, 04:31 PM
Lawyers who get in it with cops have to watch their fucking backs for sure.

I'm white as some of you may know but even as a suburban white kid my dad must have told me a million times to always keep your hands where the cop can see them. I don't know about other people but I heard that as much as don't talk to strangers.
23-06-2017, 04:34 PM
Police officer cleared in Minneapolis shooting.
I don't see anything evidence justifying the shooting. It's bizarre. It's wrong.

He murdered this man in front of his family just because he felt afraid for no reason.

If you get scared that easily then you should not be in law enforcement. It should take a lot to shake up a cop.

That murdering pussy should be held accountable.
[+] 6 users Like KUSA's post
23-06-2017, 04:59 PM
He was way too scared for what was happening no doubt. As soon as the victim said, "firearm" that cop started pissing himself.
[+] 2 users Like I'mFred's post
23-06-2017, 05:20 PM

The judge would have to be the one to declare a mistrial, and he didn't.
As others have pointed out, given that, he can't be retried for the same offence.

He could however, still possibly be sued in civil court for "wrongful death" or something similar. That's essentially what happened with OJ Simpson.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
23-06-2017, 05:39 PM
They took his Heisman. I don't think that cop has got nothing but an empty bladder. Sue the force I guess.
23-06-2017, 05:58 PM
Just to put it out there, you can be pro-Police and anti-this guy.
I support the Police too, but the Police Officer, in this case, was flat out wrong and should be in jail.
Saying he should be in jail isn't anti-Police...
[+] 8 users Like earmuffs's post
23-06-2017, 06:51 PM
I actually sort of feel sorry for the cop. I don't think it was malicious and I don't think he's a threat to society.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm much more horrified for the girlfriend and her child.

And also for African Americans in general. This one makes me sad but not angry.