Police officer cleared in Minneapolis shooting.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2017, 07:13 PM
(23-06-2017 06:51 PM)ImFred Wrote:  I actually sort of feel sorry for the cop. I don't think it was malicious and I don't think he's a threat to society.

Only he knows what he was thinking. I don't know if it was malicious or if he just freaked out. Regardless, he should not be in law enforcement.

As far as being a threat to society, I don't think he should be in situations like this as he would be a threat if so.

Police should only draw the weapon as a last resort. He could have stepped back if he felt afraid.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
23-06-2017, 07:26 PM
RE: Police officer cleared in Minneapolis shooting.
Oh yeah. He shouldn't be a cop or own a gun that's for sure. If you're that jumpy you can't even teach an urban middle school. Teachers go through far scarier shit than that everyday.
[+] 2 users Like I'mFred's post
26-06-2017, 06:41 PM
(23-06-2017 05:58 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Just to put it out there, you can be pro-Police and anti-this guy.
I support the Police too, but the Police Officer, in this case, was flat out wrong and should be in jail.
Saying he should be in jail isn't anti-Police...

I sorta agree with Bukowski, when it comes to the police:

"...when a man puts that uniform on he is the paid protector of things of the present time.
He is here to see that things stay the way they are.
If you like the way things are, then all cops are good cops.
If you don't like the way things are, then all cops are bad cops."
-- Charles Bukowski, Notes on the Pest, 1972

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
27-06-2017, 07:01 AM
I am startled that the NRA hasn't said anything. A law-abiding gun-owner was shot and killed because he fulfilled his legal obligation to notify LE on being stopped of his permit and carriage. They should be all over this as a gun-rights issue ... but they're oddly silent.

Maybe Philando wasn't an NRA member? Or maybe he was just too black for them, too?
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
27-06-2017, 07:17 AM
(27-06-2017 07:01 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I am startled that the NRA hasn't said anything. A law-abiding gun-owner was shot and killed because he fulfilled his legal obligation to notify LE on being stopped of his permit and carriage. They should be all over this as a gun-rights issue ... but they're oddly silent.

Maybe Philando wasn't an NRA member? Or maybe he was just too black for them, too?

I didn't catch the part where he said he had a permit. Did he actually say that? I heard him say that he had a gun.

I was taught to state that I have a permit and that I am in possession of a gun. I was also taught to keep my hands in plain sight and never to reach for anything unless instructed to do so by the cop.

Regardless, I didn't see any justification to shoot him.
[+] 2 users Like KUSA's post
27-06-2017, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the correction -- I shouldn't have added "his permit" in there. I had thought he had done so, but am clearly wrong.
27-06-2017, 10:07 AM
According to the local publication City Pages description of the BCA conversation, Yanez "could never state definitively ... that he saw a firearm that day". Yanez uses "various terms to suggest the presence of a firearm".

Yanez states, "it appeared to me that he was wrapping something around his fingers and almost like if I were to put my hand around my gun. It was dark inside the vehicle ... " At another point "it seemed like he was pulling out a gun and the barrel just kept coming."

"I know he had an object and it was dark. And he was pulling it out with his right hand." He added: "It was, to me, it just looked big and apparent that he's gonna shoot you, he's gonna kill you."

However, in his court testimony almost a year later, Yanez was definitive, testified that he was "able to see the firearm in Mr. Castile’s hand," and was forced to shoot him.

However, the gun was still in Castile's pocket when paramedics were preparing to load his fatally wounded body into an ambulance.

—Salient points bolded.

This was the second time Yanez had pulled his gun on an unarmed man, and had felt "upset, mad, and terrified" by an incident involving the driver, who was subsequently arrested for DUI.

So Yanez lied in court, under oath, and thereby perjured himself by stating that the firearm was in the suspect's hand. An obvious miscarriage of justice somewhere along the line. And in hindsight, Yanez should never have been employed as a police officer in the first place—considering his inability to handle stressful scenarios appropriately. No

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
27-06-2017, 10:22 AM
(27-06-2017 07:01 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I am startled that the NRA hasn't said anything. A law-abiding gun-owner was shot and killed because he fulfilled his legal obligation to notify LE on being stopped of his permit and carriage. They should be all over this as a gun-rights issue ... but they're oddly silent.

If they never said anything about the shooting of Jermaine McBean, they aren't going to say anything about Philando. They are for law and order in the tried and tested meaning of the term.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 1 user Likes tomilay's post
27-06-2017, 12:27 PM (This post was last modified: 27-06-2017 12:32 PM by adey67.)
(27-06-2017 10:22 AM)tomilay Wrote:  

If they never said anything about the shooting of Jermaine McBean, they aren't going to say anything about Philando. They are for law and order in the tried and tested meaning of the term.

So what exactly are you saying ? Do you support the cop ? Do you support Philandro ? I'm not getting your point.
Are you a cops are always right lets go easy on them type of guy or are you as appalled as even the avid gun owners on here are ?
27-06-2017, 01:14 PM (This post was last modified: 27-06-2017 01:19 PM by kim.)
(27-06-2017 12:27 PM)adey67 Wrote:  
(27-06-2017 10:22 AM)tomilay Wrote:  If they never said anything about the shooting of Jermaine McBean, they aren't going to say anything about Philando. They are for law and order in the tried and tested meaning of the term.

So what exactly are you saying ? Do you support the cop ? Do you support Philandro ? I'm not getting your point.
Are you a cops are always right lets go easy on them type of guy or are you as appalled as even the avid gun owners on here are ?

I think Tomilay was referring to the NRA - his response has nothing to do with the police.

The NRA has been unresponsive when their entire platform - "a gun in every household" - essentially blows up in their face. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post