Polish Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-08-2013, 01:26 PM
RE: Polish Atheists
(04-08-2013 12:57 PM)imralav Wrote:  You don't have to feel so alone anymore - here comes another unbeliever from Poland Wink Unfortunately I don't visit this place too often, and when I do I do not contribute, so do I really count?

Yup.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2013, 03:48 PM
(02-08-2013 02:57 PM)kokoss Wrote:  Hi guys!
Polish atheist community is practically godlike, or to put it in another words, non-existent. That saddens me a lot, and I'd love to unite us somehow, but that's not a task for today. Today I'd like to ask if there are some guys from Poland here. Smile I'd appreciate any response.
Witaj!
My Polish language is like my atheism. Decent passively, but not a skill I use often.
I guess I'm the nearest thing to a Polish atheist they have here, a Czech agnostic. Take it or leave it Smile

I know situation in Poland kind of sucks from a secular point of view. The anti-abortion laws are the most obvious. Then all this friendly stance on missiles with USA and the Catholic Church everywhere with the molesting priests... There was a case when children played games with the priest that involved licking a cream from his... knees, was it? IIRC.

But I really can't criticize much. My country is nominally very secular, but that's because everyone worships money. Churches never gained a big foothold here, people are too apathetic to believe in anything besides their hockey team. But this year the churches just figured it out. Bribe the politicians and strike a deal with them, Church property restitutions. Churches got hundreds of billions worth property, supposedly confiscated by Communists, much of which they never owned in the first place and the state pays the salary of pastors.
Only the Baptist church had the decency to protest and return some of it back.

I suppose that puts us on the level of Russia, where the unsinkable cruiser Putin threw his anchor into the Orthodox waters.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
05-08-2013, 06:01 PM
Welcome aboard. I've been to Poland, it seems a tough place to be anything but Catholic Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
06-08-2013, 08:42 PM
@imralav: Yeah, it kind of counts. But, no offense, it doesn't really work for me. I don't think you would be interested in joining Polish atheist community. That's kind of my personal goal.
@Luminon: All that about Poland is true. Even a knee-licking scandal. Do you have some atheist communities in Czech Republic? Personally I thought that Your country is kind of secular paradise. I'm sad to be wrong.
@KidCharlemagne1962: Hi! It seems that way. And the worst part is that the other atheists aren't really helping. The ones you see in the internet are mostly some arrogant school boys wanted to show how stupid are Catholics. No respect to people, arrogance, even bigotry... That is irritating...
07-08-2013, 02:45 PM
(06-08-2013 08:42 PM)kokoss Wrote:  @Luminon: All that about Poland is true. Even a knee-licking scandal. Do you have some atheist communities in Czech Republic? Personally I thought that Your country is kind of secular paradise. I'm sad to be wrong.
Organized religion needs organized people. Czech Republic is just... disorganized, very liberal and our political mafia doesn't give a damn about god or atheism, only about their property. But if you have read Terry Prattchet's Hogfather, if people stop believing in the Hogfather, there is a lot of free faith flying around, manifesting in anything people try to believe in. And so during and after the Commie regime there was and is a strong interest in all things spiritual. Spiritual people are very easygoing and the most you'll see of them is an occasional poster on the wall. They definitely leave atheists room to breathe.
Czech Republic is a wonderful place to learn Reiki, learn to play an ethnic instrument, do yoga, get a horoscope, visit a tearoom with ayurvedic stuff, get your meridians tested, or find a meditation group. I'd say the quality is often very high and prices are reasonable, as long as you stick with the rule. The rule says that greedy people with high prices have weak spiritual powers Smile In USA spirituality is like healthcare, all expensive and fucked up.

As for atheist communities, there is the club Sisyfos. But everyone knows it's old former Communist academic chairmen, not real scientists and decades out of real research. They don't do real skepticism, rather they promote nuclear energy and GMO. They had some scandals of denialism, like denying what the science community knows long ago, but it sounded too weird to them.

There are many atheist blogs, but they're on the same level of popularity as history nerds. That's you all, history nerds, and that's me, hanging out with history nerds, as far as most Czechs are concerned.
In a document on national TV you're not going to see too much for or against. There are some good atheists in the document, but also the usual bullshit, moving the goal posts, shifting the burden of proof, argument from ignorance... But watch out, the one doing all that on behalf of catholicism happens to be Jiří Grygar, a freakin' member of the Sisyfos club, who made a career out of popularizing science. Yes, WTF?! That's what you get for liberalism, skeptics who aren't real skeptics.

Personally, I'm a guy who has mystical experiences. I don't agree with Christians, but if I exchanged the J-word or G-word for the mystical experience, I'd easily see where are they coming from. I just disagree they have any right to call these phenomena religious. Nope, these phenomena gave rise to religions, not vice versa.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
07-08-2013, 02:59 PM
Anyone else read the thread title and think that someone was suggesting we all needed polishing?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.