Polite discussion on guns

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2014, 06:28 AM
Polite discussion on guns
In the poll thread, Free Thought expressed genuine curiosity about guns and gun culture. We would like to hold a Skype meeting or other chat for people who are interested in learning.

Chas and I have expressed a desire to educate people on this topic. HOWEVER, if we are to do this, we will need to keep people who only wish to hurl insults and ignorance at us away from this. If you have a desire to learn about this, and can do so politely and cordially, let us know here.

We will be setting up some ground rules for the discussion to be announced at a later time. Dissent will not be silenced, but insults and false assertions like "You all are a bunch of Rambo, John Wayne wannabes" will NOT be tolerated.

I have a genuine desire to educate people, please only respond if you have a genuine desire to learn about something.

She turned me into a NEWT. I got better, though.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2014, 06:32 AM
RE: Polite discussion on guns
(24-04-2014 06:28 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  In the poll thread, Free Thought expressed genuine curiosity about guns and gun culture. We would like to hold a Skype meeting or other chat for people who are interested in learning.

Chas and I have expressed a desire to educate people on this topic. HOWEVER, if we are to do this, we will need to keep people who only wish to hurl insults and ignorance at us away from this. If you have a desire to learn about this, and can do so politely and cordially, let us know here.

We will be setting up some ground rules for the discussion to be announced at a later time. Dissent will not be silenced, but insults and false assertions like "You all are a bunch of Rambo, John Wayne wannabes" will NOT be tolerated.

I have a genuine desire to educate people, please only respond if you have a genuine desire to learn about something.

You know, I have a genuine desire to learn about this stuff but I have literally zero desire to hear from a biased source regardless of what side they are on.
Dissent will not be silenced tells me you've already chosen a side, so I will pass. Have fun though. Good luck on keeping it civil

I have laughed, in bitterness and agony of heart, at the contrast between what I seem and what I am!
Nathaniel Hawthorne
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
24-04-2014, 06:33 AM
Good luck. Guns are an emotional subject for many. Not sure how it will stay polite for long.
24-04-2014, 06:39 AM
(24-04-2014 06:32 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(24-04-2014 06:28 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  In the poll thread, Free Thought expressed genuine curiosity about guns and gun culture. We would like to hold a Skype meeting or other chat for people who are interested in learning.

You know, I have a genuine desire to learn about this stuff but I have literally zero desire to hear from a biased source regardless of what side they are on.
Dissent will not be silenced tells me you've already chosen a side, so I will pass. Have fun though. Good luck on keeping it civil

Unfortunately, in discussions of guns, the only unbiased people are usually people like Free Thought who acknowledge their own ignorance of the topic and wish to learn.

I have had many discussions, not debates, with people who don't know about guns that have remained civil from beginning to end. This is what I am offering. Access to my knowledge of guns and gun culture to answer any questions and dispel some of the myths that we see in Hollywood and on the news. If this doesn't interest you, that is fine. For anyone who does want to talk about it, I'm here.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
24-04-2014, 06:46 AM
(24-04-2014 06:32 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  

I think you missed the point. Consider

It's not about 'sides', it's about correcting misconceptions and misinformation.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
24-04-2014, 10:40 AM
(24-04-2014 06:39 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(24-04-2014 06:32 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  You know, I have a genuine desire to learn about this stuff but I have literally zero desire to hear from a biased source regardless of what side they are on.

Unfortunately, in discussions of guns, the only unbiased people are usually people like Free Thought who acknowledge their own ignorance of the topic and wish to learn.

I have had many discussions, not debates, with people who don't know about guns that have remained civil from beginning to end. This is what I am offering. Access to my knowledge of guns and gun culture to answer any questions and dispel some of the myths that we see in Hollywood and on the news. If this doesn't interest you, that is fine. For anyone who does want to talk about it, I'm here.

I guess I'm confused at your purpose. Are you going to be showing pics of guns and then breaking them down to the functionality of the parts? (i.e., correcting the misconception that a heat shield makes a gun more dangerous, even though it "looks scarier")? Is that the sorta thing you are talking about? Or are you referring to a culture of guns and gun ownership?

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
24-04-2014, 10:47 AM
(24-04-2014 10:40 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(24-04-2014 06:39 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Unfortunately, in discussions of guns, the only unbiased people are usually people like Free Thought who acknowledge their own ignorance of the topic and wish to learn.

I guess I'm confused at your purpose. Are you going to be showing pics of guns and then breaking them down to the functionality of the parts? (i.e., correcting the misconception that a heat shield makes a gun more dangerous, even though it "looks scarier")? Is that the sorta thing you are talking about? Or are you referring to a culture of guns and gun ownership?

I was hoping to do a bit of both.

Perhaps a show and tell where I can show examples of a gun and what makes it an "assault weapon" and such. Explain the differences between full-auto, semi-auto, bolt action, etc.

As well, I would like to dispel many of the myths that surround guns and their owners. Namely, that we're a bunch of trigger happy cowboys just itching for a fight.

Too many times, have I been accused of being a vigilante, or being obsessed with guns, or a "rambo wannabe". Simply because I enjoy shooting sports and own guns for self defense. These are silly myths that are perpetuated by movies and anti-gun people. I figure, I'll give any who want a chance to see what gun culture in America actually looks like an inside view instead of them just taking what they "know" about us for granted.

24-04-2014, 10:56 AM
The other stereo type that goes with this is the toothless redneck yelling "Hey y'all, hold my beer an watch this" then shootin up crap at random.

Unfortunately a big part of the rest of the world sees us as that type of mentality.

Problem is, there are some out there that fit the stereotype, but its such a small percentage of the overall populous of gun owners.

Tough sell to those who just get their information on TV and Youtube. Dodgy

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
24-04-2014, 11:08 AM
(24-04-2014 10:56 AM)War Horse Wrote:  The other stereo type that goes with this is the toothless redneck yelling "Hey y'all, hold my beer an watch this" then shootin up crap at random.

Unfortunately a big part of the rest of the world sees us as that type of mentality.

Problem is, there are some out there that fit the stereotype, but its such a small percentage of the overall populous of gun owners.

Tough sell to those who just get their information on TV and Youtube. Dodgy

This is exactly the type of myths that I am trying to dispel. At least one person has expressed a desire to better understand us, and I am willing to help to that end.

I'm not looking to "convert" anyone over to being a gun enthusiast, but dispelling the myths can at least help them to understand that we're not evil people.

It's a sad comparison to make on a forum like this, but I get the same reaction from many people when I say that I'm a gun owner as I get from theists when I tell them I'm an atheist. They just clam up, assume I'm some evil person with no regard for life or decency, and start shouting ignorance at me. It's terrible to see, otherwise intelligent and rational people spouting off preconceived notions about what they think I am instead of getting to know me and understand me.

I am a peace loving man. I would never initiate violence against someone who wasn't actively trying to harm me, yet I get labeled as a murderer, a vigilante, and trigger happy redneck. These things couldn't be further from the truth. All I want is a chance to show people this.

[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
24-04-2014, 11:23 AM
(24-04-2014 10:47 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(24-04-2014 10:40 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I guess I'm confused at your purpose. Are you going to be showing pics of guns and then breaking them down to the functionality of the parts? (i.e., correcting the misconception that a heat shield makes a gun more dangerous, even though it "looks scarier")? Is that the sorta thing you are talking about? Or are you referring to a culture of guns and gun ownership?

I was hoping to do a bit of both.

Perhaps a show and tell where I can show examples of a gun and what makes it an "assault weapon" and such. Explain the differences between full-auto, semi-auto, bolt action, etc.

As well, I would like to dispel many of the myths that surround guns and their owners. Namely, that we're a bunch of trigger happy cowboys just itching for a fight.

Too many times, have I been accused of being a vigilante, or being obsessed with guns, or a "rambo wannabe". Simply because I enjoy shooting sports and own guns for self defense. These are silly myths that are perpetuated by movies and anti-gun people. I figure, I'll give any who want a chance to see what gun culture in America actually looks like an inside view instead of them just taking what they "know" about us for granted.

Well I don't really do Skype but I'm sure I could call in if there is a number.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson