Polite or Frank?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-12-2016, 12:06 PM
RE: Polite or Frank?
(17-12-2016 10:59 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  My mother always taught me to say please and thank you. She often reminded me that it doesn't cost one red cent to be polite to people, especially strangers.

Thank you! Big Grin

Yeah, this. I step forward with being polite in most situations. Was taught please and thank you, to open doors, and offer help in some cases. If things go beyond a casual encounter then speaking out in a frank manner is sometimes called for.

I often have to remind myself to try to remain polite in settings like stores when it's obvious someone else was not taught basic civility.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
17-12-2016, 12:12 PM
It isn't an either/or question. Both politeness and frankness are needed. If you are always polite then you get used and if you are always frank you probably won't have much fun. The hard part is figuring out when to switch from polite to frank.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
17-12-2016, 01:12 PM
Politely frank.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
17-12-2016, 01:59 PM (This post was last modified: 17-12-2016 02:02 PM by cactus.)
You can't please everyone. You only have to please enough people to be able to comfortably ignore all the ones you're displeasing.
If you can comfortably ignore everyone, then feel free to tell the entire rest of the world to fuck off Girl_nails
How's that for frank? Evil_monster

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
17-12-2016, 02:05 PM
It does depend on my mood. Lately I've been a bit short with most fools I meet. Firstly they're annoying, secondly it's a test of character of the fool in question. If they can see past a few swearwords and actually answer squarely then I'm willing to play nice. If they lose the plot then I've saved myself time by blowing up the fool before engaging.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
17-12-2016, 02:20 PM
(17-12-2016 01:12 PM)Dom Wrote:  Politely frank.

Yup, ^^that^^. General civility but certainly not a doormat.

I suppose it also might depend on the situation.
If I'm walking into a potentially tense, possibly already heated discussion, I might not only be polite but also try to diffuse some tension with a lighter atmosphere.

Levity.
I mean, seriously people, life is just too fucking short to constantly play the I'm-a-competitive-asshole game. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
17-12-2016, 02:39 PM
(17-12-2016 02:20 PM)kim Wrote:  I mean, seriously people, life is just too fucking short to constantly play the I'm-a-competitive-asshole game. Shy

No it isn't!

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
17-12-2016, 02:47 PM
Polite or Frank?
I prefer to be rude to others as I am a cranky person. Most people don't like it so I fake it and act polite most of the time.
17-12-2016, 03:12 PM
I don't mind being Frank, just don't call me Shirley

[+] 3 users Like skyking's post
17-12-2016, 03:47 PM
(17-12-2016 09:03 AM)sneroul the thinker Wrote:  I personally find being polite to be so fake and forced and being frank to be more honest but can seem rude. I would like to hear some other thoughts 2 or 3 or 4 monkeys working together is better than one.Thumbsup

Both have their uses. It's a matter of knowing when to employ which.

Courtesy costs noting and will get you places that money cannot. It's only fake if you don't respect the other person, at which point you ought to be frank with yourself and wonder why you're hanging around with them at all.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post