Polite or Frank?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-12-2016, 04:52 PM
RE: Polite or Frank?
One can be politly honest, without being blunt. It's not what you say u say it, that leaves the impression. Ithe also depends on who I'm talking to. I can say something like "Come here you fuckng basterd!" To a friend as a term of humor and indeerment, and the same asize a threat to the asshole that cut in line.

Times when I think I'm being polite can be misconstrued as having some alterative motive.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
17-12-2016, 05:04 PM
I would say it really depends on the situation~.
17-12-2016, 07:52 PM
I'm naturally polite in person. Online I can be a dick.
17-12-2016, 08:25 PM
I see this as a false dichotomy -- one can be both polite and honest, especially when you factor in nonverbal communications like body language and vocal tone -- both of which can soften or harden the message being given.
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
18-12-2016, 02:16 AM
(17-12-2016 08:25 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I see this as a false dichotomy -- one can be both polite and honest, especially when you factor in nonverbal communications like body language and vocal tone -- both of which can soften or harden the message being given.

That is a good point. While I appreciate courtesy I also appreciate people who are disclosive and forthcoming, and who will take some risks socially. Why not be as honest as you can while also being as courteous as possible. Accepting either choice exclusively would miss the mark.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 2 users Like whateverist's post
18-12-2016, 02:23 AM
(17-12-2016 09:03 AM)sneroul the thinker Wrote:  I personally find being polite to be so fake and forced and being frank to be more honest but can seem rude. I would like to hear some other thoughts 2 or 3 or 4 monkeys working together is better than one.Thumbsup

When my mate referred to his buttcrack as a sandwich, I told him to put a slice of ham and cheese into it with mustard pickles.

He was horrified. Perhaps he prefers mustard? Huh

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 5 users Like Banjo's post
18-12-2016, 02:37 AM
(18-12-2016 02:23 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(17-12-2016 09:03 AM)sneroul the thinker Wrote:  I personally find being polite to be so fake and forced and being frank to be more honest but can seem rude. I would like to hear some other thoughts 2 or 3 or 4 monkeys working together is better than one.Thumbsup

When my mate referred to his buttcrack as a sandwich, I told him to put a slice of ham and cheese into it with mustard pickles.

He was horrified. Perhaps he prefers mustard? Huh

Laugh out load You're even more delightfully deranged when you're off the meds than on Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
18-12-2016, 02:40 AM
(18-12-2016 02:37 AM)morondog Wrote:  Laugh out load You're even more delightfully deranged when you're off the meds than on Smile

I don't think my mind is coming back. I think chemo destroyed it. I keep waiting.

Nothing's happening. Consider

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
18-12-2016, 08:41 AM

Polite and frank are NOT mutually exclusive things.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 2 users Like tomilay's post
18-12-2016, 08:46 AM
I think there are times for both. Also, one could probably be both polite and frank. Politeness does not equate to being dishonest.

☆☆☆
[+] 2 users Like CosmicRaven's post