Polite or Frank?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2017, 12:51 AM
RE: Polite or Frank?
(13-01-2017 12:06 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(17-12-2016 09:54 AM)pablo Wrote:  I ain't no monkey! Smile

I'm not a monkey either but I do spank one from time to time..

I'm reporting you for cruelty to monkeys Angry

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-01-2017, 12:53 AM
(17-12-2016 09:03 AM)sneroul the thinker Wrote:  I personally find being polite to be so fake and forced and being frank to be more honest but can seem rude. I would like to hear some other thoughts 2 or 3 or 4 monkeys working together is better than one.Thumbsup

I know, right. You're a prick.

As am I. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
13-01-2017, 09:00 AM
(17-12-2016 11:53 AM)epronovost Wrote:  With strangers or people you aren't close to (for example almost everybody on internet), better be polite than frank. Most people aren't interested in receiving strong or harsh criticism, even well intentioned ones, from complete stranger on some web page. With people you do know, or people who are clearly demanding it, better be frank than polite. In general, it's just as important to be frank than it is to be polite in a conversation. That's my two cents on the subject....
Yes and no. The thing is, whether they fully understand it or not, when people come to a discussion forum constructed and maintained specifically for the purpose of debate, they are subject to certain rules of engagement which place responsibilities on THEM as well. That includes understanding the basics of burden of proof for positive claims, having decent evidentiary standards, and expecting their arguments to be invalidated when found to indulge in one or more logical fallacies.

Even here at TTA, I would thread this needle differently on the greetings or light discussion areas than I would in any of the fora under "the heavy stuff". And that in turn would be a different story than "the viper pit" or even "the colosseum" which is for even more formal and experienced debate.

90% of the umbrage taken to mockery or even just frankness and sometimes even just simple disagreement, is a failure to understand the implicit and explicit ground rules of the environment you've chosen, of your own free will, to enter.

If they can't take the heat, they should get out of the kitchen. Increasingly I have even just said to offended theists, what you want is a nice echo chamber where never is heard a discouraging word. Go find one, there are a lot of them out there. And have a boring life.
13-01-2017, 10:14 AM
I've been giving additional thought to the "frank" part of the question. I find it easy to be frank when dealing with issues that are not specific to the person I'm talking to (for example, taste in music or food). The more personal something gets, the harder it is to relay negative news.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-01-2017, 08:38 PM
Why can't we be both? In order to be honest with someone, that doesn't automatically mean that rudeness should accompany the ''frankness.'' You can be kind, yet honest/firm with someone, without sacrificing either thing, IMO.

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 2 users Like Deidre32's post