Political Correctness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2014, 05:13 PM
Political Correctness
Do you sometimes wonder what the point is?
It seems odd to me that we concern ourselves with words. Of course some words I can see hurtful but others not so much.
The word "nigger" for example is a very negative word to the point where some people won't even use it in reference as I just did. They refer to it as "the N word" which is ridicules. I'm ok with not calling black people (or anyone for that matter) niggers but what's wrong with the term "black?" Why African American? What do you call a black Canadian person? You might say Canada is in North America so African American stands. I won't say that but you might. So a better question is what do you call an Irish guy that happens to be black or a black guy who was born and raised in China.
I met a white lady in LA once who had told me her son was born in South Africa. I guess he had spent his first 4 or 5 years there before the family returned to America. I told he that her son was African American and she chuckled and said she liked that.
What feels weird to me is that if I were given such a label it would be Irish Canadian rather than European Canadian,not that such labels are commonly used in this way in this country(with the exception of language labels).
An Irish Canadian would be someone who was born an Irish citizen and came to Canada. Now an English Canadian could be an actual Englishman who has become Canadian but I know many French Canadians who will refer to me as English or English Canadian. Then of Course a French Canadian could be a person born in France but it generally refers to language. I personally use Quebecois for French Canadians unless they are English speakers in Quebec. Then I call them Quebecers. Then there's Newfie which is what I am and is generally accepted as not offensive(though some Newfie's -sorry- Newfoundlanders feel it is). Of course none of these labels mean very much to me as we in this country are all Canadian(Canadien if your French lol).
Then there are Americans who still refer to the Inuit people as Eskimos. Even the overly liberal people do this. In fact I don't think I've ever heard an American say Inuit!
What my point? I dunno... Just something I've been thinking about.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2014, 06:19 PM
RE: Political Correctness
Political correctness is first of all political. It's supposed to be a fuzzy set of rules for people who wants to make a political statement in a way that won't be rejected because it offends some group. All to satisfy some political objective, not as a measure of actual correctness.

In many aspects it has gone too far, and it has replaced politeness and common courtesy.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
03-03-2014, 06:21 PM
I have some poorly thought out and reactionary contributions to add to this discussion, but can someone first please define "political correctness" so i keep my ranting on point?

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
03-03-2014, 06:22 PM
(03-03-2014 06:19 PM)nach_in Wrote:  Political correctness is first of all political. It's supposed to be a fuzzy set of rules for people who wants to make a political statement in a way that won't be rejected because it offends some group. All to satisfy some political objective, not as a measure of actual correctness.

In many aspects it has gone too far, and it has replaced politeness and common courtesy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controversi...ggardly%22

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
03-03-2014, 06:36 PM
(03-03-2014 06:22 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(03-03-2014 06:19 PM)nach_in Wrote:  Political correctness is first of all political. It's supposed to be a fuzzy set of rules for people who wants to make a political statement in a way that won't be rejected because it offends some group. All to satisfy some political objective, not as a measure of actual correctness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controversi...ggardly%22

exactly my point, I wouldn't use that word in a PR sensitive situation, but making a controversy about it is just too much

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
03-03-2014, 06:38 PM
(03-03-2014 06:36 PM)nach_in Wrote:  
(03-03-2014 06:22 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controversi...ggardly%22

exactly my point, I wouldn't use that word in a PR sensitive situation, but making a controversy about it is just too much

It is the dumbing down of America. That word sounds like a word we don't want you to say so ...

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
03-03-2014, 11:45 PM
Re: Political Correctness
You call him an Irish guy or a Chinese guy.

And I hear plenty of people say Inuit, not like you have mericans talking about then frequently though.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
03-03-2014, 11:50 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2014 11:54 PM by Drunkin Druid.)
(03-03-2014 11:45 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  You call him an Irish guy or a Chinese guy.

Yes I do call them that. It was a hypothetical question by the way.... Kinda pointing out why "African Americans" can't simply be called Americans. Just like the Chinese and Irish guys.
04-03-2014, 12:27 AM
"Political Correctness" may sound off base, extreme, or whatever, but it serves greatly as a tool for consciousness raising. African Americans didn't come to America as free people such as the Irish, Chinese etc. So the evolution of their naming in America is an excellent example of raising consciousness:

Darkie (deep, dark, Africa): seen as more animal like than human--a justification for keeping them slaves.
Nigger: a disparagement--still animal-like, and unsophisticated.
Negro: sometimes a disparagement, but also a recognition of origin-Africa.
Colored: became a term of tolerance during the Jim Crow era, "separate but equal."
Black: the name was acquisitioned by Black Americans as a source of pride during the Civil rights movement; and later by the mid- late 1960s, the cultural slogan "Black is Beautiful" promoted that pride throughout African American culture.
African American: that being Black in America is a claim to the country--ownership instead of owned.

This is off the cuff, but I believe it's correct.

Consciousness raising in America about homosexuality has been taking place for the last 40 years and we are now seeing great results: queer, fag, gay, . . .

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
04-03-2014, 12:48 AM
Hot chick:
"Wow, look at that young, biological-female of any / all traditions, beliefs or nationality / ethical background with greater than average uniformity of features and socially conforming body shape."

This is political correctness gone mad!

Nutter:
"Hey mate, watch out for that person of non-neuro-typical cognitive development or post-development mental illness of such a severe nature that they cannot distinguish fantasy from reality, cannot conduct their affairs due to psychosis and might be subject to uncontrollable impulsive behavior."

This is madness gone political correct!

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post