Political Correctness.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-11-2013, 06:00 PM
RE: Political Correctness.
(27-11-2013 04:14 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Offending others is fine, however unwarranted insults aren't useful IMO. For instance making a broad statement about a person because you learned a couple of things about them. If you do that then congratulations, you have probably
1. Assumed to know more than you do about that person.
2. Successfully made that person either angry or uncomfortable, and therefore less receptive towards anything you are saying.
3. Painted over their individuality with your broad brush of judgment.

People do not respond well when they feel they are being personally attacked in my experience. I know I don't. That's why I agree with what TheKetola was saying about tact.

These examples are of course just my opinion.
----------------
Tact: "I don't see any legitimate reason to accept your belief as true."
No Tact: "You believe that? You are an idiot!"

Tact: "Don't you think what you said there is a bit sexist?"
No Tact: "You are a sexist ass. Learn to respect women, you dick."

Tact: "What you said there kind of sounds like racism to me, is that how you meant it?"
No Tact: "You racist MotherF#%#&$. I hate people like you, you are worth less than dirt."
------------
There is a difference between trying to tear down an argument, and trying to tear down a person. I don't see anybody winning if you attack the person instead of the idea. Just a circle of hate them because they hate us because we hate them.

So if I wasn't clear, yes ridicule the crap out of beliefs, ideas, and rituals that are ridiculous. But personally insulting others is not an effective form of communication IMO.

Um, no "tact" is a matter of comfort, not absolutes. One size does not fit all in every context.

You do know there are people who if you simply say "that is not true" you might as well be saying to them "bullshit" or "fuck you".

I will never subscribe to either/or. It will always depend to me who what when where and why as how I respond to someone.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-11-2013, 06:20 PM
Yes, I also think that what is considered tactful can be subjective. And I'm aware that some people can't separate their ideas from their individual identity so they get deeply offended even if you softly criticize their ideas.
..But at the very least, I can try to tell them that I'm criticizing the belief/idea, not insulting them. If they can't understand that, then that is on them.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
27-11-2013, 06:41 PM
Personally, I subscribe to the Winston Churchill School of Tact:
“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.”
― Winston Churchill

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
[+] 4 users Like Free Thought's post
28-11-2013, 05:54 AM
(27-11-2013 06:41 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Personally, I subscribe to the Winston Churchill School of Tact:
“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.”
― Winston Churchill

And again, it depends, you cant slap one way solutions on a complex species. I am simply arguing don't use "never" as a solution when it comes to questioning, debate, ridicule or blasphemy or offending.

Power shifts over time and you don't want the powers in charge to say to you about something you may want to bitch about "don't say that ever".

I think far to many well intended people let their empathy(which is not a bad thing) shoot themselves in the foot without realizing it.

Civility to me isn't never offending someone, civility to me is what you do in the face of being offended. There is a huge difference between anti discrimination laws, and censoring speech to placate the emotions of others.

You play with fire when you try to silence offensive speech. The problem will always be "who gets to decide".

I think humanity goes about it the wrong way. We make demands instead of making choices ourselves. If someone ridicules you or even cusses you out, you have a choice. You use ONLY YOUR VOICE to verbally fight back, or you walk away from it. What you don't do is use law to say "never".

Common law already is in place to regulate speech that has a ban on violence, or calls to violence. You do not however have a right to be free from being offended.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
28-11-2013, 08:14 AM
Have you travelled around Asia, Brian?

If not, I think you'll find it refreshingly 'filterless'.

E.g. Recently I've been getting: "DLJ you are looking fatter" or "Wow! You've put on weight!"

I have been trying to explain 'tact' which is largely an alien concept i.e. I've been saying that us Brits might say: "You look like you've been enjoying your food."

Also...
"What are you wearing?" vs. "That's a lovely dress, did you make it yourself?"

Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
28-11-2013, 08:22 AM
(28-11-2013 08:14 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Have you travelled around Asia, Brian?

E.g. Recently I've been getting: "DLJ you are looking fatter" or "Wow! You've put on weight!"

I have been trying to explain 'tact' which is largely an alien concept i.e. I've been saying that us Brits might say: "You look like you've been enjoying your food."

Also...

Big Grin

"Hello good chap, it appears that you have begun to take a more rounded appearance since the time of our last meeting."

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
28-11-2013, 10:03 AM
(28-11-2013 08:22 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(28-11-2013 08:14 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Have you travelled around Asia, Brian?

Also...

Big Grin

"Hello good chap, it appears that you have begun to take a more rounded appearance since the time of our last meeting."

Indeed he is coming into his winter build quite nicely.

[Image: memes-fancy-shark.jpg]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
[+] 5 users Like Revenant77x's post
28-11-2013, 09:04 PM
Political correctness is good.