Political Memes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2017, 10:02 PM
RE: Political Memes
Geezus, Shai... with those pics of the protesters in the wheelchairs being manhandled. It just turns my stomach.

I so often see what the GOP is doing and wonder to myself if these people really are soulless (in the secular sense of the term, anyway)... but it's just so hard to believe that people can really be so calloused toward their fellow human beings, so sold out to corporate greed-interests that they would treat their fellow Americans this way because they object to the way it is being done, and to what is being done-- to them!

But the evidence is just piling up and overflowing the bin to the point that now, I keep endlessly thinking of the stories I read in college, about how the Germans after WW2, when asked why they said/did nothing to stop the concentration camps their country was running, replied that they had heard about what was going on and knew the camps were there... but that it was just unfathomable to them that the stories of what their leaders were doing were really as bad as they sounded. They simply couldn't internalize the reality of the cruelty and indifference of their leadership to human suffering and death.

I'm not saying the GOP are Nazis or really even saying the German populace was directly to blame; even the Allied leadership thought the same thing, at least for the majority of the war, when they heard the stories-- you hear of human indifference and depravity on this scale, and simply want to dismiss it as impossible or at least severely exaggerated. It took seeing it for themselves, in person, before the US Generals started sending reports back, "Yep, it's as bad as it sounded and worse."

I get it-- the GOP are not only bought-and-sold, but they genuinely believe that "The Business of America is Business" and that their ideas about "rising tide lifts all boats"/Trickle-Down Economics somehow haven't been disproved by all the times it was tried before to spectacular failure. They really think that by helping the super-rich get richer, it will make the nation better, and they're willing to overlook the failures of prior attempts to make the wealthy man's greed-based ideology a reality. That's because, I think, it wasn't a failure, to them and their donors. It works just fine for the people it's designed to help... even if the side effects include crashed economies that devastate the middle class and literally end the lives of those at the weakest end of the spectrum. When you have great stored-up wealth, a depressed phase of the economy allows you to buy up more stuff for when the markets re-surge, and the super-wealthy become the hyper-wealthy.

What makes me sick is that they can only do these things because the people who claim to be Christians, in this hyper-Christian nation, are the most ardent supporters of those predatory Lovers of Money at the root of all this evil. They believe the propaganda and turn to spit on the struggling, working poor... like they are willing to turn a blind eye to the deaths of tens of thousands of the weakest members of our society, who depend on society to keep them alive... all while claiming to be "Pro-Life".

I'm sorry for the rant, but I'm just so fed up with it. The endless cycle of abuse would be somehow tolerable if it was the norm in the rest of the world... but it's not. It's just us. I want to love this country, to be proud of "my" country... but we are becoming evil actors in pretty much every measurable category, from treatment of poverty to prisoners, and with the blessing and even cheerleading of those who claim to follow the man who said what we do to "the least of these", we do to him, and who said to take care of the poor and the prisoner. Why are the Secular Humanists seemingly the ones who are left to object?

I'm sick to my stomach, genuinely, as I write this. It is literally nauseating to me.

I think I need to go to bed.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
23-06-2017, 10:16 PM
Rocket, this reminds me of a great, albeit sickening article, I quoted in my master's thesis, while bitching about Kant and his truly revolting idea that an act inspired purely by the compassionate disposition of a person "has nevertheless no true moral worth" and that this "true worth" is only derived from something equally vague, he calls "duty".

(Am gonna copy my footnote from my thesis, as am too tired to write coherently Rolleyes )

"A very effective example of what such thinking can lead to when taken to the extreme is discussed in a rather thought-provoking article by Harry Deutsch, entitled From Kant to Auschwitz. In this excellently argued piece the author quotes the notorious Rudolph Hoess, a quotation which we will take the liberty of including here, regardless of its length, as nothing can illustrate its chilling point as effectively as its exact reproduction: “I had to appear cold and indifferent to events that must have wrung the heart of anyone possessed of human feelings. I might not even look away when afraid lest my natural emotions got the upper hand. I had to watch coldly, while the mothers of laughing or crying children went to the gas chambers. On one occasion two small children were so absorbed in some game that they refused to let their mother tear them away from it. Even the Jews of the Special Detachment were reluctant to pick the children up. The imploring look in the eyes of the mother, who certainly knew what was happening is something I shall never forget. The people were already in the gas chamber and becoming restive and I had to act. Everyone was looking at me. I nodded to the junior noncommissioned officer on duty and he picked up the screaming struggling children in his arms and carried them to the gas chamber, accompanied by their mother who was weeping in the most heart rending fashion. My pity was so great that I longed to vanish from the scene; yet I might not show the slightest trace of emotion.”

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
25-06-2017, 01:30 PM
[Image: 8VGr5hG.jpg]

[Image: 650.jpg?w=940&q=55&auto=...0cd9ee9065]

[Image: trump-movie-poster-bend-her.jpg]

[Image: trump-movie-poster-donald-littlehands.jpg]

[Image: trump-movie-poster-gone-with-the-trump.jpg]

[Image: Trump-movie-poster-rain-man-.jpg]

[Image: trump-movie-poster-lord-of-the-lies.jpg]
(This one's positively disturbing!)

[+] 7 users Like Vera's post
25-06-2017, 03:41 PM
(23-06-2017 10:02 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Geezus, Shai... with those pics of the protesters in the wheelchairs being manhandled. It just turns my stomach.

I so often see what the GOP is doing and wonder to myself if these people really are soulless (in the secular sense of the term, anyway)... but it's just so hard to believe that people can really be so calloused toward their fellow human beings, so sold out to corporate greed-interests that they would treat their fellow Americans this way because they object to the way it is being done, and to what is being done-- to them!

But the evidence is just piling up and overflowing the bin to the point that now, I keep endlessly thinking of the stories I read in college, about how the Germans after WW2, when asked why they said/did nothing to stop the concentration camps their country was running, replied that they had heard about what was going on and knew the camps were there... but that it was just unfathomable to them that the stories of what their leaders were doing were really as bad as they sounded. They simply couldn't internalize the reality of the cruelty and indifference of their leadership to human suffering and death.

I'm not saying the GOP are Nazis or really even saying the German populace was directly to blame; even the Allied leadership thought the same thing, at least for the majority of the war, when they heard the stories-- you hear of human indifference and depravity on this scale, and simply want to dismiss it as impossible or at least severely exaggerated. It took seeing it for themselves, in person, before the US Generals started sending reports back, "Yep, it's as bad as it sounded and worse."

I get it-- the GOP are not only bought-and-sold, but they genuinely believe that "The Business of America is Business" and that their ideas about "rising tide lifts all boats"/Trickle-Down Economics somehow haven't been disproved by all the times it was tried before to spectacular failure. They really think that by helping the super-rich get richer, it will make the nation better, and they're willing to overlook the failures of prior attempts to make the wealthy man's greed-based ideology a reality. That's because, I think, it wasn't a failure, to them and their donors. It works just fine for the people it's designed to help... even if the side effects include crashed economies that devastate the middle class and literally end the lives of those at the weakest end of the spectrum. When you have great stored-up wealth, a depressed phase of the economy allows you to buy up more stuff for when the markets re-surge, and the super-wealthy become the hyper-wealthy.

What makes me sick is that they can only do these things because the people who claim to be Christians, in this hyper-Christian nation, are the most ardent supporters of those predatory Lovers of Money at the root of all this evil. They believe the propaganda and turn to spit on the struggling, working poor... like they are willing to turn a blind eye to the deaths of tens of thousands of the weakest members of our society, who depend on society to keep them alive... all while claiming to be "Pro-Life".

I'm sorry for the rant, but I'm just so fed up with it. The endless cycle of abuse would be somehow tolerable if it was the norm in the rest of the world... but it's not. It's just us. I want to love this country, to be proud of "my" country... but we are becoming evil actors in pretty much every measurable category, from treatment of poverty to prisoners, and with the blessing and even cheerleading of those who claim to follow the man who said what we do to "the least of these", we do to him, and who said to take care of the poor and the prisoner. Why are the Secular Humanists seemingly the ones who are left to object?

I'm sick to my stomach, genuinely, as I write this. It is literally nauseating to me.

I think I need to go to bed.
I'd add to that, but you phrased things perfectly RS. There was a nice HuffPo piece asking if American Evangelical Christianity is sociopathic or not.

Appropriate meme:

[Image: fFFqY3N.png]

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Shai Hulud's post
25-06-2017, 04:13 PM
[Image: screen-shot-2017-02-10-at-2-36-50-pm.png]

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 3 users Like Commonsensei's post
25-06-2017, 04:46 PM (This post was last modified: 25-06-2017 05:04 PM by Vera.)
Shai, that was literally in Dan Piraro's batch of cartoons today...

[Image: bizarro-06-21-17.jpg]

The small village example is exactly the one I keep using. It's our villages that got bigger, to shamelessly borrow (and mutilate) a phrase Rolleyes
I have had discussions with intelligent people about whether health care should be a “right” or a “privilege” and I’ve heard intelligent people argue from both sides. If you fall on the “privilege” side of the equation and do not believe governments should provide health care for their citizens, I ask you to consider these scenarios: Your house is on fire and you call 911, only to be asked for your fire insurance policy number. If you don’t have the right insurance, the firetruck doesn’t leave the station and you’re tasked with putting the fire out yourself. That would routinely result in the loss of almost everything you’ve built over the years, with no way to get it back.

Or someone is breaking into your house and you call the cops. Same thing; you can’t afford police insurance, so no one shows up. I guess you should have thought of that when you got a job that doesn’t provide adequate fire and police insurance. Why should the rest of us pay for your ignorance and laziness?

I’m known to be a hard-working, intelligent guy who has made a name for himself in the world of art and creativity. It wasn’t easy, believe me, and though I’ve made enough money along the way to keep myself and my family eating regularly and living indoors, I’ve had a very hard time over the years affording health insurance. I insured my children when they lived at home but went for more than a dozen years without it myself, in fact, and only managed to get a bare-bones policy just three years ago. I assure you I am neither poor, nor lazy, and there are millions of Americans in the same boat as I’ve been. Had I gotten seriously ill or injured in those years, it would have ruined me or I would have died.

Is this the kind of community you want to live in? To my mind, communities are where humans agree to live together because we are pack animals and therefore stronger together than individually. When the community gets large enough, some of us get together to form a government whose job it is to protect the community and make sure everyone works alongside each other amicably for the common good, and gets the help they need when they’re, sick, disabled, victimized or disadvantaged in a way that makes them unable to participate in the community as well as they might otherwise. When someone in a small village is disabled or sick, do we simply drop them off out in the forest because they are no longer of use to the rest of us?

I’d like Americans to ask themselves why fire and police protection are a right but health protection is a privilege."

Sensei, I now wish there was meme with the queen giving the two-fingered salute (like there is with her giving the finger) Rolleyes

[+] 6 users Like Vera's post
26-06-2017, 12:33 PM
Trumpcare Is Murder.

You can get a T-shirt....

https://www.amazon.com/Epic-Love-Politic...B071L3DBQV

Yog Sothoth! Yog Sothoth! Come back old ones! Yog Sothoth!

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post
27-06-2017, 10:03 AM (This post was last modified: 27-06-2017 10:20 AM by RocketSurgeon76.)
[Image: 1ng9w8.jpg]

[Image: michael-flynn-jeff-sessions-steve-bannon...892390.png]

Edit to Add: ROTFL

[Image: MkI1Oom.png]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
27-06-2017, 01:30 PM
[Image: uk5PZnA.png]

[Image: NHCpRja.png]

[Image: kh5WHVc.jpg]

[Image: neIkl8d.png]

[Image: 8VCFISv.png]

[Image: 1Sr05eS.png]

[Image: SvdjW2p.png]

And finally, from the speech that JFK gave to assure Southern Baptists and other Protestants that the Pope wouldn't rule America if he was elected President:

[Image: TgqCSHu.jpg]

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Shai Hulud's post
27-06-2017, 06:22 PM
[Image: fdZhhBF.jpg]

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
[+] 6 users Like Ruby Crystal's post