Political Views

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
01-08-2017, 07:15 PM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2017 07:32 PM by Dom.)
RE: Political Views
(01-08-2017 03:42 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I lean left cause I despise right wing nationalism, sucking up to clergy, fear mongering, dehumanization of immigrants, authoritarian tendencies and things like opposing right to abortion or death with dignity.
Yes I agree. I've been reading a book that John Loftus co-wrote called "Christianity is Not Great". It has opened my eyes to what you are saying.

Quote:As for left - left isn't oppressed saint so valid criticism is necessary to stamp out idiocy that sometimes appear there. But calling left commies or crying about how they will help muslims to dominate Europe isn't valid criticism, it's just smoke screan intended to hide real problems which right can't fix. It's easier to scream about how refugees will "rape our wimminz" than take care of economy.
Good point. It's not like the right is going to fix it the way they approach things. I'm glad you said that. Of course the left has their problems, but what needs to be looked at is which one is overall better no doubt.

Quote:I reccomend reading - among others - Leszek Kołakowski, Andrzej Walick, Zygmunt Bauman, Martin Malia and Immanuel Wallerstein. Also it's good to check statistics made by Europol or the like to see how right is making people afraid without good reason. It's best to not relly on single info source - checking what both sides have to say is good strategy.

Okay I will do that. Thank you for your time!
Forgive me for the way I'm quoting everything by the way. I'm doing this on my phone and having a lot of trouble.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes goldenarm's post
01-08-2017, 07:32 PM
(01-08-2017 07:15 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  
(01-08-2017 03:42 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I lean left cause I despise right wing nationalism, sucking up to clergy, fear mongering, dehumanization of immigrants, authoritarian tendencies and things like opposing right to abortion or death with dignity.
Yes I agree. I've been reading a book that John Loftus co-wrote called "Christianity is Not Great". It has opened my eyes to what you are saying.

Quote:As for left - left isn't oppressed saint so valid criticism is necessary to stamp out idiocy that sometimes appear there. But calling left commies or crying about how they will help muslims to dominate Europe isn't valid criticism, it's just smoke screan intended to hide real problems which right can't fix. It's easier to scream about how refugees will "rape our wimminz" than take care of economy.
Good point. It's not like the right is going to fix it the way they approach things. I'm glad you said that. Of course the left has their problems, but what needs to be looked at is which one is overall better no doubt.

Quote:I reccomend reading - among others - Leszek Kołakowski, Andrzej Walick, Zygmunt Bauman, Martin Malia and Immanuel Wallerstein. Also it's good to check statistics made by Europol or the like to see how right is making people afraid without good reason. It's best to not relly on single info source - checking what both sides have to say is good strategy.

Forgive me for the way I'm quoting everything by the way. I'm doing this on my phone and having a lot of trouble.

Fixed! Shy

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
01-08-2017, 07:34 PM
(01-08-2017 04:48 PM)abaris Wrote:  I'm socially as well as fiscally liberal. Taxes paid by the citizens should be used to better the lives of citizens and not for any other purpose. Infrastructure, healthcare, education, things like that. The whole purpose of paying taxes is to contribute to the state and to make it a better place. The problem we face at least since the big crisis of '08 is that losses are socialized and gains privatized. I don't want my tax money to be wasted on subsidizing failing private businesses in order for them to go on speculating and gambling on the global market.

Good point. I always felt the same way once I thought about it, but I let a lot of other people online sway me away into believing this all leads to Communism Laugh out load
01-08-2017, 07:36 PM
(01-08-2017 07:32 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(01-08-2017 07:15 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  Yes I agree. I've been reading a book that John Loftus co-wrote called "Christianity is Not Great". It has opened my eyes to what you are saying.

Fixed! Shy

Thank you so much! What am I doing wrong? Consider
01-08-2017, 07:38 PM
(01-08-2017 07:36 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  
(01-08-2017 07:32 PM)Dom Wrote:  Fixed! Shy

Thank you so much! What am I doing wrong? Consider

You had a bunch of extra [/quote] and some [/code] in there. Dunno how come.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
01-08-2017, 07:40 PM
(01-08-2017 05:25 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  Lefty here also. The underpinning core of righthand conservatism is "resist change". Since the whole of nature is nothing but change, that stance is intrinsically absurd. It's also arrogant, because it presumes the "way we are now" is better than anything else, wholly ignoring that the "way we are now" is a change from the "way we were" and that such change came about because that's where the zeitgeist drove us. The zeitgeist ain't static and will keep driving change. Resistance, as the aliens are fond of telling us, is useless.

In practical application, the right does advocate and push for change (while pretending that it isn't change), but that such changes are, to my mind, too narrow and centered on individual selfishness rather than on enlarging the power of society so that we all flourish. Finally, the right seems hostile to intellect; I have the impression that here in the United States the cohort of humanity with mediocre intellectual faculty tends rightward because its fundamental appeals are feeble minded, simplistic and directed at emotional succor, not the more difficult ascents of reason.

Hence the right is largely brutish, thuggish, frowning, spiteful, petty and (fortunately, across the breadth of human history) ultimately overridden by the more thoughtful but more challenging advances by the left. Civilization owes all of its success to drivers from the left, because the only thing the right contributes is a mindless brake to arrest change.

Good points! I know what you mean it's been that way throughout history. I don't know if these people are just close minded or they have their own agenda. Anyways, thank you!
01-08-2017, 07:41 PM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2017 07:46 PM by goldenarm.)
(01-08-2017 07:38 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(01-08-2017 07:36 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  Thank you so much! What am I doing wrong? Consider

You had a bunch of extra
and some [/code] in there. Dunno how come.
[/quote]

Okay thanks! Do I just put one quote after every paragraph?
Never mind I think I got it.
01-08-2017, 07:47 PM
(01-08-2017 07:41 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  
(01-08-2017 07:38 PM)Dom Wrote:  You had a bunch of extra [/ quote] and some [/code] in there. Dunno how come.

Okay thanks! Do I just put one quote after every paragraph?

Whatever opens [ quote] must close [/ quote]. (ignore the spaces, I put them in so it would display.)

If you only have one quote, the forum software does it for you.

[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
01-08-2017, 07:48 PM
(01-08-2017 07:47 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(01-08-2017 07:41 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  Okay thanks! Do I just put one quote after every paragraph?

Whatever opens [ quote] must close [/ quote]. (ignore the spaces, I put them in so it would display.

Okay thanks!
01-08-2017, 07:52 PM
(01-08-2017 06:55 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(01-08-2017 02:59 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  ...
•Why are you neither?

Or both?

Sometimes I lean forward and sometimes I lean back.

(01-08-2017 02:59 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  ...
concrete views on my politics?

And why is 'concrete' a good thing?

Consider
I should have clarified. You're 100% right. We should always be open to new ideas and new evidence. I should have clarified. I guess I meant a solid position for the time being unless changed otherwise?
[+] 1 user Likes goldenarm's post