Political Views

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
01-08-2017, 08:02 PM
RE: Political Views
Don't feel bad, I have a lot of problems quoting, too. And posting gifs. I can't seem to make it work half the time. I am a TTA cotton-headed ninny muggins.

To answer your question:

I identify as left/progressive. That said, I am very socially left-leaning, but would like to see more 'conservatism' when it comes to spending. However, the reigning in of spending is on items typically supported by conservatives (military, lobbying and passing of bills that lessen personal freedoms, corporate 'welfare').

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
01-08-2017, 08:03 PM
(01-08-2017 02:59 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  •Why are you neither?

Because I find that both sides of the political spectrum have a lot of irrational stances they cling to for various reasons. For the parties associated with them because they want to maintain a voter base filled to the brim with irrational people, and for the people it's often as simple as groupthink.

I'm all over the political spectrum when it comes to my stances on various issues.

(01-08-2017 02:59 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  • How do you feel about people such as Stephan Molyneux who are not religious, but speak against a lot of what the left does? Why do you agree or disagree?

I think he's full of shit because of his views on specific issues. The fact that he is atheist and considered alt right are perhaps ironic, but irrelevant.

(01-08-2017 02:59 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  • What research can I do to educate myself and have some more concrete views on my politics? Are there any books, articles, or other sources you recommend?

Meh, not really. Read lots of material from numerous sides and numerous countries, think in terms of cause/effect and how they relate to the direction you'd like to see the world move in as opposed to thinking in terms of liberal vs. conservative or Democrat vs. Republican. Once you've made up your mind, make a legitimate attempt to challenge and disprove your own beliefs. That's how skeptical analysis works. To that end, either you've got a good bullshit filter or you don't. Most people on both sides don't.

'Murican Canadian
01-08-2017, 08:15 PM
(01-08-2017 08:02 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  Don't feel bad, I have a lot of problems quoting, too. And posting gifs. I can't seem to make it work half the time. I am a TTA cotton-headed ninny muggins.

To answer your question:

I identify as left/progressive. That said, I am very socially left-leaning, but would like to see more 'conservatism' when it comes to spending. However, the reigning in of spending is on items typically supported by conservatives (military, lobbying and passing of bills that lessen personal freedoms, corporate 'welfare').

Haha I'm not alone now! Anyways thanks for the response.

" That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
01-08-2017, 08:21 PM
(01-08-2017 08:03 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(01-08-2017 02:59 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  •Why are you neither?

Because I find that both sides of the political spectrum have a lot of irrational stances they cling to for various reasons. For the parties associated with them because they want to maintain a voter base filled to the brim with irrational people, and for the people it's often as simple as groupthink.

I'm all over the political spectrum when it comes to my stances on various issues.

(01-08-2017 02:59 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  • How do you feel about people such as Stephan Molyneux who are not religious, but speak against a lot of what the left does? Why do you agree or disagree?

I think he's full of shit because of his views on specific issues. The fact that he is atheist and considered alt right are perhaps ironic, but irrelevant.

(01-08-2017 02:59 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  • What research can I do to educate myself and have some more concrete views on my politics? Are there any books, articles, or other sources you recommend?

Meh, not really. Read lots of material from numerous sides and numerous countries, think in terms of cause/effect and how they relate to the direction you'd like to see the world move in as opposed to thinking in terms of liberal vs. conservative or Democrat vs. Republican. Once you've made up your mind, make a legitimate attempt to challenge and disprove your own beliefs. That's how skeptical analysis works. To that end, either you've got a good bullshit filter or you don't. Most people on both sides don't.
Yea the alt-right is who I was talking about. Anyways thanks and I like your approach a lot. Skeptical analysis is the way to go. As hard as it may be you're right about trying to disprove your own beliefs.

" That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
01-08-2017, 08:59 PM
@goldenarm

Regarding right - Loftus book don't have much to do with my observations - I base them on simply living in country where right do all this shit.

Left has many problems. It's betrayal of workers and sucking up to clergy are biggest among them. Left is still prefferable to right.

There are many other books that would be good to read. Maybe check "Literature" section if you're interested.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
01-08-2017, 09:39 PM
I identify as Jesus.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
01-08-2017, 10:41 PM
(01-08-2017 08:59 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  @goldenarm

Regarding right - Loftus book don't have much to do with my observations - I base them on simply living in country where right do all this shit.

Left has many problems. It's betrayal of workers and sucking up to clergy are biggest among them. Left is still prefferable to right.

There are many other books that would be good to read. Maybe check "Literature" section if you're interested.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka
Okay I gotcha! Thank you and I will check it out.

01-08-2017, 10:42 PM
(01-08-2017 09:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I identify as Jesus.

Worship Slaves

[+] 2 users Like goldenarm's post
01-08-2017, 10:45 PM
(01-08-2017 10:42 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  
(01-08-2017 09:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I identify as Jesus.

Worship Slaves

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
02-08-2017, 01:31 AM
Socially i am leaning left. I think it is self evident that being a highly evolved and self aware species living in large groups we should try to support those individuals who happen to be rather unfortunate and unlucky the best as we can.
but
i am no hippie who thinks everybody should have the right to own a government sponsored Dodge Charger, or nonsense like unrestricted basic income. We all should try and be a productive member of our society.

Fiscally, i am ....confused...cherry picking....basically like many others, i just admit to it. Big Grin

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post