Political Views

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
02-08-2017, 10:05 AM
RE: Political Views
(02-08-2017 01:31 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Socially i am leaning left. I think it is self evident that being a highly evolved and self aware species living in large groups we should try to support those individuals who happen to be rather unfortunate and unlucky the best as we can.
but
i am no hippie who thinks everybody should have the right to own a government sponsored Dodge Charger, or nonsense like unrestricted basic income. We all should try and be a productive member of our society.

Fiscally, i am ....confused...cherry picking....basically like many others, i just admit to it. Big Grin

I'm with you there. I'm curious as well what are you registered as? Since you're a lot like me fiscally. Thanks!

" That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2017, 10:22 AM
(02-08-2017 10:05 AM)goldenarm Wrote:  
(02-08-2017 01:31 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Socially i am leaning left. I think it is self evident that being a highly evolved and self aware species living in large groups we should try to support those individuals who happen to be rather unfortunate and unlucky the best as we can.
but
i am no hippie who thinks everybody should have the right to own a government sponsored Dodge Charger, or nonsense like unrestricted basic income. We all should try and be a productive member of our society.

Fiscally, i am ....confused...cherry picking....basically like many others, i just admit to it. Big Grin

I'm with you there. I'm curious as well what are you registered as? Since you're a lot like me fiscally. Thanks!

I am registered somewhere in south-western Germany. Big Grin
Yet i have a problem similar to yours: The left is too stupid and the right too immoral and sucks up to the rich people and big business too much.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
02-08-2017, 12:30 PM
You can't simplify politics into a two-dimensional model.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
02-08-2017, 12:52 PM
(02-08-2017 10:05 AM)goldenarm Wrote:  I'm with you there. I'm curious as well what are you registered as? Since you're a lot like me fiscally. Thanks!

In Europe we have a vastly different electoral system than the US. You're automatically registered to vote at your home adress without party affiliation. Also you have to present an ID to vote.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like abaris's post
02-08-2017, 02:05 PM
(02-08-2017 10:22 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(02-08-2017 10:05 AM)goldenarm Wrote:  I'm with you there. I'm curious as well what are you registered as? Since you're a lot like me fiscally. Thanks!

I am registered somewhere in south-western Germany. Big Grin
Yet i have a problem similar to yours: The left is too stupid and the right too immoral and sucks up to the rich people and big business too much.

Thats a good way to put it.

" That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
02-08-2017, 02:06 PM
(02-08-2017 12:30 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  You can't simplify politics into a two-dimensional model.
I completely agree. I was just trying to be more general I guess.

02-08-2017, 02:07 PM
(02-08-2017 12:52 PM)abaris Wrote:  

In Europe we have a vastly different electoral system than the US. You're automatically registered to vote at your home adress without party affiliation. Also you have to present an ID to vote.

I didn't know that. That's interesting Tongue

02-08-2017, 02:27 PM
(02-08-2017 02:07 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  
(02-08-2017 12:52 PM)abaris Wrote:  In Europe we have a vastly different electoral system than the US. You're automatically registered to vote at your home adress without party affiliation. Also you have to present an ID to vote.

I didn't know that. That's interesting Tongue

There are also more than two parties, and voters can and do switch according to current events. Kind of like picking the best guy for the job at hand... makes a lot more sense.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
02-08-2017, 02:37 PM
(02-08-2017 02:27 PM)Dom Wrote:  There are also more than two parties, and voters can and do switch according to current events. Kind of like picking the best guy for the job at hand... makes a lot more sense.

It's also that there's hardly any vote wasted. If I vote Green party, I can be sure they will be represented in parliament. This time round I will go for a new list, founded by an ex Green party representative.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like abaris's post
02-08-2017, 03:21 PM
There is no "the winner takes it all" in our elections. Each party that receives a certian % of votes in any election will be represented accordingly.

There are basically only two exceptions:

#1 5% threshold
Any party that scores below 5% will not be represented at all. This is a lesson from Weimar. Too many too small parties and your parliament is going to end up being a big clusterfuck that gets nothing done at all.

#2 In Schleswig-Holstein, the state bordering Denmark, the party of the Danish minority is guaranteed to be represented, being the exception to rule #1, since they have less than 5% population /votes.
Didnt we become real nice Germans? Tongue So fluffy Big Grin

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post