Political correctness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2016, 11:03 PM
Political correctness
I heard something really great on secular talk radio today. There’s a difference between being correct and politically correct. Being correct just means you have your facts checked, being politically correct means you can’t say something because it’s inappropriate and may offend people, basically just censorship. It can happen with democrats or republicans. I’ve always argued, look I don’t like political correctness, but I get shut down by people saying that being politically correct is just being respectful. I fight so hard to try to get my fucking point across, but it never works. I think I’ve found a new way of explaining this to people that gives me an upper hand in an argument.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2016, 11:14 PM
RE: Political correctness
Being correct will always offend somebody, politically or otherwise. I try to focus on being correct, and everyone else can kiss my ass.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 8 users Like evenheathen's post
12-05-2016, 11:33 PM
Everything is hate speech. If they can't handle the thruth, then they should just fuck off.

"Skepticism is the first step towards truth" -Denis Diderot
[+] 1 user Likes Seeking_Truth's post
13-05-2016, 12:02 AM
Politically Correct is just a misappropriated buzzword.

Ending slavery, woman's suffrage, and the end of Jim Crow were all moves of political correctness. Things were wrong, and we used politics to correct them.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 7 users Like EvolutionKills's post
13-05-2016, 01:34 AM
It's irony gone mad!

Political Correctness is a tool for discriminating against discrimination.

... intolerance of intolerance.

Big Grin

[+] 7 users Like DLJ's post
13-05-2016, 02:25 AM
Also, before someone goes on a SJW hate bender, I'd just like to remind everyone that this forums has it's own 'safe space' in the Personal Issues and Support section (the area with the violet background).

Just remember that if you ever need uncritical help or advice, or before you attempt to throw that concept under the bus.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 7 users Like EvolutionKills's post
13-05-2016, 05:37 AM
Political Correctness was one buzzword George Orwell missed in 1984......

But he got the spirit of it right....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
13-05-2016, 07:49 AM
(13-05-2016 02:25 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Also, before someone goes on a SJW hate bender, I'd just like to remind everyone that this forums has it's own 'safe space' in the Personal Issues and Support section (the area with the violet background).

There is a difference. The difference is that the one here is a "OMG I have an actual life problem help me" v.s "OMG these facts are inconvenient, I feel triggered." So the safe spaces we are talking about are not the ones that we have, but ones that make sure facts they don't like aren't heard.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 5 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
13-05-2016, 09:23 AM
(13-05-2016 02:25 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Also, before someone goes on a SJW hate bender, I'd just like to remind everyone that this forums has it's own 'safe space' in the Personal Issues and Support section (the area with the violet background).

Just remember that if you ever need uncritical help or advice, or before you attempt to throw that concept under the bus.

Excuse me?
13-05-2016, 09:28 AM
(13-05-2016 12:02 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Politically Correct is just a misappropriated buzzword.

Ending slavery, woman's suffrage, and the end of Jim Crow were all moves of political correctness. Things were wrong, and we used politics to correct them.

All well and good, all well and good. I guess that's a really good point, actually. Unless you're totally liberitarian, political correctness shouldn't be seen as a problem, in some forms. Now, when you look at the cult like atmosphere of college campuses, where they have safe spaces where people can't be challenged (which defeats the point of college education), people being told that their white privilege means they're inherently racist no matter what and they have "micro aggressions" against other people unintentionally that make them uncomfortable, that's when it starts to seem really kooky and overly politically correct. It's been worrying me, specifically because a lot of people just don't seem to get why it's a problem. Same thing with "rape culture". People are treating every single man as if they think with the logic of a rapist, saying there's a culture of rape in our country and you're either part of this "rape culture" or you're against it. It's all extremely dogmatic, it's all very frustrating.
[+] 3 users Like Mittens Deluxe's post