Political correctness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2016, 10:27 AM (This post was last modified: 13-05-2016 10:40 AM by Mr. Boston.)
RE: Political correctness
I think there's definitely a line to be drawn between political correctness for its own sake and just being respectful of others' wishes. I go yet again to gender issues as my example. People who identify with a gender other than their birth gender want to be called transgender; or perhaps even want to be called, without any modifier, by the gender they identify with. Fine, I figure these people have suffered enough. It costs me nothing to refer to a male-to-female transgender person as "she" or even "they" or whatever pronoun will make them feel comfortable. If it spares them some discomfort I have zero problem calling somebody by whatever name or classification they want to be called. That's not political correctness that's just simply not being a disrespectful dickhead. Where I draw the line is with this artificial designation of "cis-gendered male" which has been invented for me to call myself to ease someone else's discomfort or feelings of isolation. Sorry - that's political correctness to an unnecessary degree and I don't see how I'm under any obligation to change the label I've felt comfortable with for 37 years of life just because using the terms "man" or "male" might lead someone to infer that I think I'm more entitled to this gender than they are. If that's how they feel that's too fucking bad - my assertion that I'm male, without need for further qualification, does nothing to comment on someone else's gender or value. You're a dude, I'm a dude, end of story - now let's have a beer and try to find out more about WHO, rather than WHAT we both are, shall we?

I know a guy named Ryan who was born female but identifies as male. Ryan has undergone "top surgery" to have his breasts removed - I don't know and don't care what's between Ryan's legs at the present time, it's irrelevant to me. That doesn't mean I don't sympathize, it just means it doesn't change anything between us one way or the other. Ryan is the partner of the sister of the woman who took care of my son Ben when he was like 6-18 months old. Ryan had daily contact with my son and I never thought anything of it, and still don't. In fact if Ryan and Rachel hadn't moved to NYC I'd be happy to have them still babysit my kids if there was any need or opportunity. To my mind Ryan and I are both dudes, guys, bros, men, whatever. But Ryan has never attempted to make me refer to myself as a cis-gendered male. We're both just men, it's as simple as that. When you want to have a say in the way others refer to you - that's just expecting your due share of respect as a fellow human being, and that's fine with me. I wouldn't dream of calling somebody by a name, title, or pronoun they didn't want to be called. But when you presume to tell other people how they should refer to themselves out of consideration for your feelings, that's crossing a line as far as I'm concerned.

To my mind it boils down to respect - how we treat each other. If we advocate for each other's rights and fair treatment it shouldn't matter if we sometimes slip into using the wrong pronoun.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Mr. Boston's post
13-05-2016, 11:19 AM (This post was last modified: 13-05-2016 11:24 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(13-05-2016 09:23 AM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  
(13-05-2016 02:25 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Also, before someone goes on a SJW hate bender, I'd just like to remind everyone that this forums has it's own 'safe space' in the Personal Issues and Support section (the area with the violet background).

Just remember that if you ever need uncritical help or advice, or before you attempt to throw that concept under the bus.

Excuse me?

Just wait for it...

(13-05-2016 09:28 AM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  
(13-05-2016 12:02 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Politically Correct is just a misappropriated buzzword.

Ending slavery, woman's suffrage, and the end of Jim Crow were all moves of political correctness. Things were wrong, and we used politics to correct them.

All well and good, all well and good. I guess that's a really good point, actually. Unless you're totally liberitarian, political correctness shouldn't be seen as a problem, in some forms. Now, when you look at the cult like atmosphere of college campuses, where they have safe spaces where people can't be challenged (which defeats the point of college education)...

That didn't take long. Facepalm

I guess you shouldn't be allowed in the Personal Issues and Support section any more, as a lack of challenge is clearly hindering your education?

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
13-05-2016, 11:33 AM
Before you guys go any further I need to point out that, when I was little, I was trapped inside a safety deposit box for nearly a day. Just thinking about gives me palpitations and rekindles my PTSD.

"Safe" and "space" are my trigger words.

Weeping

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
13-05-2016, 11:37 AM
(13-05-2016 11:33 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Before you guys go any further I need to point out that, when I was little, I was trapped inside a safety deposit box for nearly a day. Just thinking about gives me palpitations and rekindles my PTSD.

"Safe" and "space" are my trigger words.

Weeping

Would you like puppies or kittens? Tongue

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
14-05-2016, 08:24 AM
Nothing more needs to be said. From probably the best comedian of the UK and/or the world.

[+] 6 users Like Naridar's post
14-05-2016, 12:00 PM
(13-05-2016 07:49 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(13-05-2016 02:25 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Also, before someone goes on a SJW hate bender, I'd just like to remind everyone that this forums has it's own 'safe space' in the Personal Issues and Support section (the area with the violet background).

There is a difference. The difference is that the one here is a "OMG I have an actual life problem help me" v.s "OMG these facts are inconvenient, I feel triggered." So the safe spaces we are talking about are not the ones that we have, but ones that make sure facts they don't like aren't heard.

Unless said 'safe spaces' encompass an entire university, I fail to see the harm in having a designated 'don't be a dick' area.

I mean, 'don't be a dick' is usually cited in just about every meme about secular morality, right? Yet taking that concept and enforcing it in a designated area is somehow uncouth. It boggles the fucking mind.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
14-05-2016, 12:17 PM
It bugs me that "Oh, that's just PC bullshit" seems to pass for argumentation much of the time.
14-05-2016, 12:30 PM
(14-05-2016 12:17 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  It bugs me that "Oh, that's just PC bullshit" seems to pass for argumentation much of the time.

I think the general idea of what conservatives consider too PC is absurd. I think that when democrats start saying people are getting too PC, then there's something too it. Don't get me wrong, I see it as a double edged sword. I think that to an extent there's certain things that the government should be concerned with, like protecting people's freedom, specifically minorities.

What I'm seeing a lot of though, and I'm not quite sure if it's a problem, is over sensitivity, to a point where it makes no sense. People are creating non issues, artificial problems, seeing issues with race and gender where there are none. I'm not saying that to negate any of the important issues in politics today regarding race and gender, but maybe this sort of absurdity, which I'm not sure you're entirely aware of, does sap credibility from real issues.
[+] 3 users Like Mittens Deluxe's post
14-05-2016, 12:31 PM (This post was last modified: 14-05-2016 12:34 PM by pablo.)
It must be very tricky to be vague enough to not offend anyone.
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
14-05-2016, 12:38 PM
Who me?