Political correctness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2016, 12:39 PM
RE: Political correctness
(14-05-2016 12:31 PM)pablo Wrote:  It must be very tricky to be vague enough to not offend anyone.
Indeed. SJWs even start to devour each other at the first sign of a politically incorrect statement. Laugh out load

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
14-05-2016, 01:23 PM
This on a BBQ joint in Lithuania.

[Image: trump-putin.jpg?quality=75&strip...amp;w=1100]

http://time.com/4336396/lithuania-mural-...utin-kiss/

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
14-05-2016, 02:16 PM
(14-05-2016 01:23 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  This on a BBQ joint in Lithuania.

The big question: What the hell is Lithuanian BBQ? Tongue
14-05-2016, 03:05 PM
(14-05-2016 02:16 PM)pablo Wrote:  

The big question: What the hell is Lithuanian BBQ? Tongue

Yeah, right? No idea.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
14-05-2016, 03:20 PM
(14-05-2016 12:00 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(13-05-2016 07:49 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  There is a difference. The difference is that the one here is a "OMG I have an actual life problem help me" v.s "OMG these facts are inconvenient, I feel triggered." So the safe spaces we are talking about are not the ones that we have, but ones that make sure facts they don't like aren't heard.

Unless said 'safe spaces' encompass an entire university, I fail to see the harm in having a designated 'don't be a dick' area.

I mean, 'don't be a dick' is usually cited in just about every meme about secular morality, right? Yet taking that concept and enforcing it in a designated area is somehow uncouth. It boggles the fucking mind.

For many they do. In fact saying certain things like biology plays a factor in what men and women behave or that there are only two genders and you will get in trouble.

To add how is giving a different view being a dick about giving different view points? The fact that they can't debate such things without needing to be loud or hding because it is in convinient speaks a lot about liberal views on campus.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
14-05-2016, 05:09 PM
Metazoa Zeke d' Wrote:  The fact that they can't debate such things without needing to be loud or hding because it is in convinient speaks a lot about liberal views on campus.

That's my problem right there, if you are unable to consider a viewpoint outside your own comfort level then I don't consider you to have liberal views. You should move back in with mommy and daddy until you are ready to have an adult conversation including things that make you uncomfortable. That's how the world works. Sorry 'bout ya.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 5 users Like evenheathen's post
14-05-2016, 05:45 PM
(14-05-2016 12:30 PM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  
(14-05-2016 12:17 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  It bugs me that "Oh, that's just PC bullshit" seems to pass for argumentation much of the time.

I think the general idea of what conservatives consider too PC is absurd. I think that when democrats start saying people are getting too PC, then there's something too it. Don't get me wrong, I see it as a double edged sword. I think that to an extent there's certain things that the government should be concerned with, like protecting people's freedom, specifically minorities.

What I'm seeing a lot of though, and I'm not quite sure if it's a problem, is over sensitivity, to a point where it makes no sense. People are creating non issues, artificial problems, seeing issues with race and gender where there are none. I'm not saying that to negate any of the important issues in politics today regarding race and gender, but maybe this sort of absurdity, which I'm not sure you're entirely aware of, does sap credibility from real issues.

I'm very aware of the problem, and as a writer by hobby, my interest in the language causes me to grimace when I see perfectly fine words derided and replaced with something less "offensive".

But I also detest folks who dismiss an argument without addressing it. That's lazy thinking, and it can and does in this case hurt folks.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
14-05-2016, 09:15 PM

Their mouths aren't open far enough to let their reptilian tongues get all the way out. Drinking Beverage

As far as a BBQ joint in Lithuania, I googled it. True shit! Hey, the US doesn't own it.
14-05-2016, 11:59 PM
(14-05-2016 12:31 PM)pablo Wrote:  It must be very tricky to be vague enough to not offend anyone.

Exactly. If the aim is to offend no one, the language gets watered down to pabulum, drivel. I'm of the opinion that no one can offend me without my permission -- I have to let them do that. And lord knows there's far too many folk with an emotional investment in being aggressively butthurt to the point of being offensive in their own behavior ... if I allow myself to be offended.

That being said, I have no problem with compromising to respect feelings that aren't patently ridiculous. For instance, I will describe myself as "crippled" (I've got a diseased hip and walk with a noticeable limp which limits my mobility) -- but were a physically-handicapped person to ask me not to describe them that way, that's no problem by me. It costs me nothing to be nice so long as meaning isn't lost.

I refuse, however, to use "differently-abled". Sorry, that shit ain't gonna fly.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
15-05-2016, 12:51 AM (This post was last modified: 15-05-2016 01:17 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(14-05-2016 05:09 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
Metazoa Zeke d' Wrote:  The fact that they can't debate such things without needing to be loud or hding because it is in convinient speaks a lot about liberal views on campus.

That's my problem right there, if you are unable to consider a viewpoint outside your own comfort level then I don't consider you to have liberal views. You should move back in with mommy and daddy until you are ready to have an adult conversation including things that make you uncomfortable. That's how the world works. Sorry 'bout ya.

Agreed, and yet, I still fail to see the problem with having a place (not every place) where someone can speak their mind, air their grievances, or ask for advice, and nobody is allowed to say "fuck you, you're gay, that's your problem" or some other such nonsense. Not every one needs to be challenged at all times. Being constantly confronted by other people's opinions, especially if you're of a minority opinion, isn't necessarily constructive. A gay kid being told constantly that they're broken and need to be saved or else god will burn them forever is not in the middle of a helpful learning experience. Sometimes people need an out, sometimes people need a space where they can just be themselves without reservation or critique. This forum is just such a place. How many people here cannot be openly atheist in their own day to day lives? Is this forum not a valuable safe space for many? And even here, there is another safe space within; a place where even the most hated and despised members could nonetheless ask for advice without reproach. That space is valuable, and I keep to those rules, in case the day ever comes when I need a moment of uncritical advice or support. It doesn't need to be all places and all times, but there is value to be had in having just such a place within reach.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post