Political correctness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2016, 01:27 AM
RE: Political correctness
(14-05-2016 03:20 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(14-05-2016 12:00 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Unless said 'safe spaces' encompass an entire university, I fail to see the harm in having a designated 'don't be a dick' area.

I mean, 'don't be a dick' is usually cited in just about every meme about secular morality, right? Yet taking that concept and enforcing it in a designated area is somehow uncouth. It boggles the fucking mind.
For many they do. In fact saying certain things like biology plays a factor in what men and women behave or that there are only two genders and you will get in trouble.

Of course biology plays a factor, but the debate is how much. Like many things, it's influence exists on a spectrum. Also, gender isn't binary, it too exists on a spectrum. Saying there are two isn't something that should get you in trouble, but it's not something to freak out over if you're corrected on it either.

(14-05-2016 03:20 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  To add how is giving a different view being a dick about giving different view points? The fact that they can't debate such things without needing to be loud or hding because it is in convinient speaks a lot about liberal views on campus.

What? You mean some people can misuses and abuse a good idea? Is this aspect of human nature new to you? This is like wanting to disband all food stamps, and in so doing relegating millions of children to poverty and starvation, just because it's possible for some people to sell the stamps for drugs.

Yet nobody here seems to want to make the distinction between 'those who misuse a thing' and 'the thing itself'.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2016, 01:49 AM
(15-05-2016 01:27 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Yet nobody here seems to want to make the distinction between 'those who misuse a thing' and 'the thing itself'.

Well I ain't the type of guy to throw out the baby with the bath water, but it there is an inherit problem it should be fixed. i.e if conservatives are causing a problem, everyone, including other conservatives should be critical and refute their incorrect claims. No different than the food stamps, just find a way to stop it and fix it instead of getting rid of them.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
15-05-2016, 02:00 AM
(15-05-2016 01:27 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Yet nobody here seems to want to make the distinction between 'those who misuse a thing' and 'the thing itself'.

Wot. So far the two people who have engaged you here have both specifically made a case of detailing 'the thing' - that is, safe spaces - as it is when bad, distinguishing it from the thing itself.

I don't think anybody here finds anything readily disagreeable with this, for example:

(15-05-2016 12:51 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  where someone can speak their mind, air their grievances, or ask for advice, and nobody is allowed to say "fuck you, you're gay, that's your problem"

They've been very specific in describing the 'safe spaces' they're criticising, and it's not that.
[+] 1 user Likes Gilgamesh's post
15-05-2016, 03:07 AM
(15-05-2016 02:00 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  
(15-05-2016 12:51 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  where someone can speak their mind, air their grievances, or ask for advice, and nobody is allowed to say "fuck you, you're gay, that's your problem"

They've been very specific in describing the 'safe spaces' they're criticising, and it's not that.

Well, what if a bigot thinks that it is a fact that someone's homosexuality is the problem?

(13-05-2016 07:49 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  There is a difference. The difference is that the one here is a "OMG I have an actual life problem help me" v.s "OMG these facts are inconvenient, I feel triggered." So the safe spaces we are talking about are not the ones that we have, but ones that make sure facts they don't like aren't heard.

Is a safe space the appropriate time and place to tell a homosexual that the root of their issues is their homosexuality, so long as they think it's a fact? How many people think that it is a fact that god both exists and 'hates fags'?

It would be nice if we could get everyone to agree on 'the facts', but that's not likely to happen unfortunately. Safe spaces aren't the place for the voice of opposition, that place is quite literally almost everywhere else. So that being said, such places need to be carefully monitored as to not be abused; but I disagree with Zeke's point about facts and their place.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
15-05-2016, 04:24 AM
(15-05-2016 03:07 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Well, what if a bigot thinks that it is a fact that someone's homosexuality is the problem?

You refute it with evidence.

(15-05-2016 03:07 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  How many people think that it is a fact that god both exists and 'hates fags'?

Many, but the difference is when that was brought up it was refuted. Nobody went into a safe space, they came out with more facts. It is a university, not daycare.

Funny you bring that up, think about creationism. Creationism was never taught in universities yet they would come along to them with their views. Now did people run to safe spaces when that happened? No. They looked at the claims and refuted them point by point. And now look at creationism, it is pretty much dying. Which makes me question SJWs. If their points are correct why not show it to non SJWs like they did creationist? I mean unless their evolution doesn't effect the brain and rape culture is a thing despite rape being hated views are actually wrong.

(15-05-2016 03:07 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  It would be nice if we could get everyone to agree on 'the facts', but that's not likely to happen unfortunately. Safe spaces aren't the place for the voice of opposition, that place is quite literally almost everywhere else. So that being said, such places need to be carefully monitored as to not be abused; but I disagree with Zeke's point about facts and their place.

Well maybe in other place like here sure, but on a university no. A university isn't supposed to make you comfortable, it is supposed to challenge your views and ideas, even if it makes you uncomfortable. Saying things like the gender pay gap is a myth or that the 1&5 rape statistic is wrong shouldn't need a safe space on universities. And even if someone had genuine PDST from something, they shouldn't have a cookies, coloring books, play doh, and videos of frolicking fucking puppies. It should fix this PDST and then send this kids on the intellectual battlefield that universities are supposed to be. And if you are just uncomfortable with facts while at a university and you should leave it. Universities are not there for you to feel safe, but to get you ready for the world. So safe spaces are fine, but only for genuine people with PDST.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 2 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
15-05-2016, 05:34 AM
(14-05-2016 02:16 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(14-05-2016 01:23 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  This on a BBQ joint in Lithuania.

[Image: trump-putin.jpg?quality=75&strip...amp;w=1100]

http://time.com/4336396/lithuania-mural-...utin-kiss/

The big question: What the hell is Lithuanian BBQ? Tongue

Yak ribs. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
15-05-2016, 05:40 AM (This post was last modified: 15-05-2016 05:47 AM by Matt Finney.)
(15-05-2016 12:51 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Is this forum not a valuable safe space for many?

EvolutionKills ' Wrote:  Want to see a magic trick? Go fuck yourself!
15-05-2016, 05:58 AM
(14-05-2016 02:16 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(14-05-2016 01:23 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  This on a BBQ joint in Lithuania.

[Image: trump-putin.jpg?quality=75&strip...amp;w=1100]

http://time.com/4336396/lithuania-mural-...utin-kiss/

The big question: What the hell is Lithuanian BBQ? Tongue

What you get for dinner at my house........

It's BBQ cooked by a Lugan.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
15-05-2016, 06:02 AM
(15-05-2016 05:34 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-05-2016 02:16 PM)pablo Wrote:  The big question: What the hell is Lithuanian BBQ? Tongue

Yak ribs. Drinking Beverage

Don't think they have yak -- but Caribou is a real likelihood.

My grandfather was straight off the boat from Lithuania.

If it was warm blooded - he'd eat it.....

You haven't smelled anything worse cooking - till you've smelled boiling muskrat...........

Rainbow Vomit

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.