Political correctness?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2017, 04:10 PM
RE: Political correctness?
(02-06-2017 05:26 PM)tomilay Wrote:  
(02-06-2017 04:20 PM)Dr H Wrote:  You see all free-speech proponents as a single, homogenous, monolithic group?

Speech is either free, or it isn't. There's no such thing as "partly free speech".

No. Tendency is the operative term. They tend to be heavily represented among a group with certain grievances. Alt-right. The Ann Coulters. There are exceptions. But anti-PC is reliably just a PC term for something else.

"Reliably" kind of negates the "tendency" qualifier, I think.

Interesting how the original Berkeley Free Speech Movement didn't seem to require political correctness. In fact, it opposed the concept, though the term itself didn't exist then.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2017, 04:10 PM
[Image: 04460898f8ebc0c16cd82e6ef1af418b10185464...bbf200.jpg]

Dr. H(orseshit), I would suggest brushing up on your reading comprehension skills a bit. I do realise it's a hard skill not to lose when one is so enamoured of hearing himself bloviate as you appear to be, but I can assure you, it's worth the effort. Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-06-2017, 04:16 PM
(03-06-2017 05:57 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  I think, when it comes down to it, you and I (and most others commenting here) are virtually on the same page: people, regardless of their gender identity (or non-identity) deserve to be treated with respect and dignity, and this includes the manner in which they're addressed. Seems that the only issue we part on is whether criminal action should follow if such a person does not feel they are being accorded due respect. I think criminal action is a step too far; it's a bit like trying to legislate good manners.

Clearly and succinctly put. Thank you.

--
Dr H

06-06-2017, 04:18 PM
Making a burrito or opening a burrito restaurant even if you aren't Mexican doesn't have anything to do with political correctness. Literally no one I know would give a shit. BUT, opening a burrito restaurant and implying that you went around to all the "tortilla ladies" before doing so to get pointers/advice is straight-up racist. Both the action and the description.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
06-06-2017, 04:21 PM
(06-06-2017 04:10 PM)Vera Wrote:  Dr. H(orseshit)

Thank you for clearly demonstrating the sincerity of your commitment to political correctness.

--
Dr H

06-06-2017, 04:35 PM
And thank you for proving to EVERYONE you haven't got a CLUE what political correctness IS.

TTA is not the public sphere and no one is stopping anyone from using whatever language they want in their PRIVATE interactions with people.

Facepalm

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-06-2017, 05:41 PM
Suit yourself.

And do watch out for those knees. Rolleyes

--
Dr H

07-06-2017, 06:55 PM
It costs me nothing to be courteous to anyone. If that's "PC", go fuck yourself.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
08-06-2017, 07:14 PM
(07-06-2017 06:55 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  It costs me nothing to be courteous to anyone. If that's "PC", go fuck yourself.

Big Grin

--
Dr H

[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
08-06-2017, 07:38 PM
Political correctness?
(07-06-2017 06:55 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  It costs me nothing to be courteous to anyone. If that's "PC", go fuck yourself.

Somehow that just doesn't sound courteous.
[+] 2 users Like KUSA's post