Political correctness?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2017, 11:22 AM
RE: Political correctness?
(01-06-2017 10:54 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(01-06-2017 10:34 AM)Vera Wrote:  What an ignorant, ignorant, IGNORANT man. Political correctness and censorship in a totalitarian regime are two entirely different things.

Nobody was trying to make that argument...

Not so Brian. You were erroneously conflating a censorial North Korean government with political correctness. The two are light years away from each other.

PC describes the avoidance of language or actions that are seen as excluding, marginalising, or insulting groups of people who are seen as disadvantaged or discriminated against, especially groups defined by sex, religion, or race.

State censorship is not political correctness.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2017, 11:26 AM
(01-06-2017 11:14 AM)Vera Wrote:  But the repeated, century-long demonisation, marginalisation, ostracisation and downright persecution of all sorts of minorities or just those different from the ruling majority is just a benign quirk of society?

If I may borrow a phrase from dancefortwo, Peter What's-His-Face-Why-Should-I-Give-Even-A-Single-Fuck-About-His-Opinions, can go fuck himself with a giggy stick.

See, there isn't any cancerous growth stifling this place and stopping me from saying this.

I repeat, the amount of venom that springs forth from some people simply because they've been asked - in the FUCKING PUBLIC SPHERE -not to treat or refer to those slightly different from them like scum is staggering. Hard to keep faith in humanity in times like this.

I agree America has had a long and horrible history of bigotry and oppression. But it is still absurd to paint a picture that things have not changed.

Now fine, we are in agreement that there IS more to do, but if your suggestion is "never offend ever", I will never be for that, and especially not now when a hyper nationalistic GOP has a majority control. I am quite sure those assholes would prefer I not offend them.

But please make no mistake. I AM A LIBERAL both socially and economically. Not agreeing with everything you might argue does not change that I am still a liberal.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-06-2017, 11:28 AM
(01-06-2017 11:26 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  But please make no mistake. I AM A LIBERAL both socially and economically. Not agreeing with everything you might argue does not change that I am still a liberal.

You keep saying that like it makes an ounce of difference in this discussion. You said something really stupid, either intentionally or not, own it and move on.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
01-06-2017, 11:29 AM
Fucking hell, Brian! I'm not talking about fucking America and your fucked-up history.

And NO ONE is saying "never offend ever".

For crying out loud! Jesus fucknig Christ, are you purposefuly trying to be this obtuse or does it come naturally!

Or do you just enjoy humping this strawman you keep shoving in our faces? Facepalm

[Image: scarecrow_08.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
01-06-2017, 11:32 AM
(01-06-2017 11:22 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(01-06-2017 10:54 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Nobody was trying to make that argument...

Not so Brian. You were erroneously conflating a censorial North Korean government with political correctness. The two are light years away from each other.

PC describes the avoidance of language or actions that are seen as excluding, marginalising, or insulting groups of people who are seen as disadvantaged or discriminated against, especially groups defined by sex, religion, or race.

YES IT IS IT IS POLITICAL CORRECTNESS WITH WEAPONS.

If you think that is not true, take a vacation there and do something even as harmless as leaving a bible in a hotel room.

If you think state censorship is not political correctness take a vacation to Iran and go door to door and say, "Allah is not a real god"

Now to say the right here cannot be politically correct, no, not now, but they are currently the majority power and if their power grows then that political correctness has the potential to become STATE CENSORSHIP.

You keep forgetting that power shifts over long periods of time. Dont assume that your intent cannot be flipped on you by the other side and used against you.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
01-06-2017, 11:35 AM
(01-06-2017 11:32 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(01-06-2017 11:22 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Not so Brian. You were erroneously conflating a censorial North Korean government with political correctness. The two are light years away from each other.

YES IT IS IT IS POLITICAL CORRECTNESS WITH WEAPONS.

If you think that is not true, take a vacation there and do something even as harmless as leaving a bible in a hotel room.

If you think state censorship is not political correctness take a vacation to Iran and go door to door and say, "Allah is not a real god"

Now to say the right here cannot be politically correct, no, not now, but they are currently the majority power and if their power grows then that political correctness has the potential to become STATE CENSORSHIP.

You keep forgetting that power shifts over long periods of time. Dont assume that your intent cannot be flipped on you by the other side and used against you.

Fuck, you are an idiot. I hate it when we are on the same side of an argument because your galloping hysteria and stupidity makes everyone else's argument on your side less effective. Dial it back down to a reasonable level and maybe just maybe people will not automatically ignore you.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
01-06-2017, 11:39 AM
(01-06-2017 11:29 AM)Vera Wrote:  Fucking hell, Brian! I'm not talking about fucking America and your fucked-up history.

For crying out loud! Jesus fucknig Christ, are you purposefuly trying to be this obtuse or does it come naturally!

Or do you just enjoy humping this strawman you keep shoving in our faces? Facepalm

Good, and I agree nobody should argue "never" as a tactic, so why not simply skip such a loaded term "political correctness" because again, I have seen both parties followers use that term to dodge a needed converstation. And once you start demanding forced politeness, that is a dangerous game and can lead to the state censorship you keep arguing you don't think is the same.

There is a past and a present and a future. You cant simply focus on the now, you also have to think about what you would want to say that you know would offend others. And no one party has a monopoly on what is or is not offensive.

And when you respond again, I AM A LIBERAL.

01-06-2017, 11:47 AM
Facepalm

[Image: giphy.gif]

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
01-06-2017, 12:02 PM
(01-06-2017 11:29 AM)Vera Wrote:  Fucking hell, Brian! I'm not talking about fucking America and your fucked-up history.

This picture right here is why you are not understanding me. If you used this same picture and aimed it at many on the far right, or even conservative Muslims they would accuse you of offending them and demand you not respond with that picture.

If you want your right to offend others, then you cannot simply think about how others offend you and demand they never offend you.

I think we can fight bigotry without such a loaded term.

01-06-2017, 12:09 PM
[Image: main-qimg-41d9e091bc6032be2b5a5038265919ff]

I give up. You're fucking HOPELESS. Like Rev said - makes me ashamed when we're on the same side of an argument because you make us all look like lunatics foaming at the mouth.