Political correctness?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2017, 03:07 PM
RE: Political correctness?
(01-06-2017 11:22 AM)SYZ Wrote:  State censorship is not political correctness.

Political correctness is censorship.
The only difference is that it is societal, and not state mandated.
But that can change.

In a discussion on KOPB this Tuesday, concerning the recent stabbings on the Portland MAX, Wajdi Said, commissioner on the New Portlanders Policy Commission, opined:
"when it comes a concern of public safety, I think that we need to rise to the challenge and understand that if somebody will undermine the life of others, there is no room for hate speeches, there is no room for freedom of speech, there is room only, for safety of own..."

Thus equating "hate speech" with "freedom of speech".

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2017, 03:10 PM
(01-06-2017 03:07 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Political correctness is censorship.

I would call it asking people to be polite.
[+] 4 users Like Thoreauvian's post
01-06-2017, 03:35 PM
(01-06-2017 03:07 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(01-06-2017 11:22 AM)SYZ Wrote:  State censorship is not political correctness.

Political correctness is censorship.
The only difference is that it is societal, and not state mandated.
But that can change.

In a discussion on KOPB this Tuesday, concerning the recent stabbings on the Portland MAX, Wajdi Said, commissioner on the New Portlanders Policy Commission, opined:
"when it comes a concern of public safety, I think that we need to rise to the challenge and understand that if somebody will undermine the life of others, there is no room for hate speeches, there is no room for freedom of speech, there is room only, for safety of own..."

Thus equating "hate speech" with "freedom of speech".

PC is not censorship because no speech is outlawed - at least in the US. At worst, it's self-policing. Like etiquette. I wouldn't call that censorship.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 3 users Like tomilay's post
01-06-2017, 03:41 PM
(01-06-2017 02:29 PM)Emma Wrote:  
(01-06-2017 02:12 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Actions that create opportunities and increase inclusiveness; not philosophies that limit speech or cultural mingling.

Diversity is not achieved by throwing up barriers around cultures and limiting access to heredity.

Please be more specific. What actions?

Active diversity recruitment strategies. Include specific diversity clauses in government and business contracts. Seek out representatives from marginalized and underserved populations and include them on planning commissions and advisory boards. Hold multicultural events that encourage cultural exchange, rather than stigmatize it as "appropriation". Provide real, in depth cultural competency education, rather than just dictating speech and behavior.

Talk with people from a diversity of cultures and hearing what concerns them, rather than assuming that you already know. Mutual respect is built by exchanging knowledge with those who differ from you, and letting each other know how you would like to be treated, and then acting that way because it's the right thing to do.

Simply being told by a third party that you must say or do this or than, and not say or do this or that (the essence of political correctness) neither improves understanding nor builds respect. It can, in fact, increase resentment, which is counterproductive.

--
Dr H

[+] 3 users Like Dr H's post
01-06-2017, 03:42 PM
(01-06-2017 03:10 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(01-06-2017 03:07 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Political correctness is censorship.

I would call it asking people to be polite.

Dictating is not the same as asking.

--
Dr H

01-06-2017, 03:46 PM
No, Tomilay, it's my indelible right as a human being to walk the streets of any given place screaming vulgar abuse at people and I'll defend it with my blood and my life. How dare ANYONE insinuate it's not my god given right to call people retards, faggots and monkeys till my eyes bulge Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
01-06-2017, 03:47 PM
(01-06-2017 03:35 PM)tomilay Wrote:  PC is not censorship because no speech is outlawed - at least in the US. At worst, it's self-policing. Like etiquette. I wouldn't call that censorship.

Censorship can be a matter of law, but it doesn't necessarily have to be.
Plenty of books have been removed from library shelves -- in response to both right- and left-wing demands -- which might have remained where they were in perfect legality.

I agree with self-policing, 100% -- that's what being "civilized" is all about.

Censorship is when someone tells someone else what they can and cannot say.

--
Dr H

01-06-2017, 03:58 PM
(01-06-2017 03:47 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(01-06-2017 03:35 PM)tomilay Wrote:  PC is not censorship because no speech is outlawed - at least in the US. At worst, it's self-policing. Like etiquette. I wouldn't call that censorship.

Censorship can be a matter of law, but it doesn't necessarily have to be.
Plenty of books have been removed from library shelves -- in response to both right- and left-wing demands -- which might have remained where they were in perfect legality.

I agree with self-policing, 100% -- that's what being "civilized" is all about.

Censorship is when someone tells someone else what they can and cannot say.

If censorship is as you define it, then you would also characterize your anti-PC crusade as censorship. No?

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 4 users Like tomilay's post
01-06-2017, 05:28 PM
I mean, who in their right minds would even think of denying this upstanding, white middle-aged citizen (salt of the earth, you know) the god-given right to hurl abuse at a doctor who just spent the last 48 hours saving lives.

Just a pansy libtard snowflake, that's who Drinking Beverage

"Naveed Yasin, 37, had just spent two harrowing shifts trying to save the lives of those injured in Monday night’s devastating attack at Manchester Arena.

After a brief rest at home, he was travelling back into work at Salford Royal Hospital when a white middle-aged man racially abused him.

The man, driving past him, lowered his car window and shouted at Dr Yasin: ‘You brown P*** bastard! Go back to your country, you terrorist. We don’t want you people here. Fuck off.’

Dr Yasin, an orthopaedic surgeon, was born in Keighley in West Yorkshire, but now lives in Manchester with his wife and two daughters.
‘No matter what I say to myself, I can’t take away the hatred he had for me because of my skin colour, and the prejudices he associated with this,’ he told The Times."

How dare he expect not to be abused because of the colour of his skin (and how dare he be born not white!). He's a fucking doctor, he should just transplant himself a pair! Dodgy

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
01-06-2017, 06:02 PM
(01-06-2017 01:48 PM)Dr H Wrote:  The Mercury may have backed off, but they're neither the first, nor the only source to report on this. I don't think you know Portland:

http://www.wweek.com/uncategorized/2017/...ar-chavez/

https://mic.com/articles/177642/these-wh....t6QBWJ9Xx

http://www.snopes.com/2017/05/26/cultura...rito-shop/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/food...7caa505866

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/port...f96a348181

https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/article/...nd-closure

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...=174798727

https://www.tastingtable.com/dine/nation...urant-list

Considering none of these are sources are close to whats going, that Snopes hasn't managed to contact the main actors of this event, I would remain extremly skeptical of everything that goes on. It wouldn't be that surprising to see other outlet retract their story one after the other since one already did it. The restaurant has indeed anounced it was closed and deleted its facebook page, but it might be due to the massive negative media attention brought by this story. It might also re-open. It might be closed for other reasons than the "cultual appropriation" scandal. New restaurants can bankrupt very quickly when faced with negative press or simply because of poor financial planning. Restauration, especially fast food, is a very cutthroat business. I would wait a few more days, the time things dies down a little bit before searching information on this story again.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.