Political correctness?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-06-2017, 08:15 AM
RE: Political correctness?
(01-06-2017 03:41 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(01-06-2017 02:29 PM)Emma Wrote:  Please be more specific. What actions?

Active diversity recruitment strategies. Include specific diversity clauses in government and business contracts. Seek out representatives from marginalized and underserved populations and include them on planning commissions and advisory boards. Hold multicultural events that encourage cultural exchange, rather than stigmatize it as "appropriation". Provide real, in depth cultural competency education, rather than just dictating speech and behavior.

Talk with people from a diversity of cultures and hearing what concerns them, rather than assuming that you already know. Mutual respect is built by exchanging knowledge with those who differ from you, and letting each other know how you would like to be treated, and then acting that way because it's the right thing to do.

Simply being told by a third party that you must say or do this or than, and not say or do this or that (the essence of political correctness) neither improves understanding nor builds respect. It can, in fact, increase resentment, which is counterproductive.

All of those things you suggest are actually happening in the US and around many parts of the world. And people criticize the shit out of them or simply ignore them. When was the last time you searched for a cultural event of a minority group, to which you do not belong, with the intention of going and learning more?

Do you actually think that "political correctness" is something that the left dreamed up as a way of solving all the world's problems with marginalization? Because it sounds like you think that.

You realize that the term "politically correct" doesn't refer to simply calling people out of the stupid shit they say- it's popularly used as a conservative pejorative for liberal policies (just like the ones you describe). Language is a big part of that criticism, but it's not limited to that- it's just evolved over time to refer primarily to use of language.

But, if you look hard enough, you'll see that the suggestions you have already exist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Emma's post
02-06-2017, 08:31 AM
I'll just leave this here ...

"You can't even write racial abuse in excrement on someone's car without the politically correct brigade jumping down your throat."

"If political correctness has achieved one thing, it's to make the Conservative party cloak its inherent racism behind more creative language."

[+] 7 users Like DLJ's post
02-06-2017, 08:55 AM
(02-06-2017 08:31 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I'll just leave this here ...

"You can't even write racial abuse in excrement on someone's car without the politically correct brigade jumping down your throat."

"If political correctness has achieved one thing, it's to make the Conservative party cloak its inherent racism behind more creative language."

That was pretty damn masterful lol, and the notations were interesting, too.
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
02-06-2017, 09:33 AM
(02-06-2017 08:15 AM)Emma Wrote:  
(01-06-2017 03:41 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Active diversity recruitment strategies. Include specific diversity clauses in government and business contracts. Seek out representatives from marginalized and underserved populations and include them on planning commissions and advisory boards. Hold multicultural events that encourage cultural exchange, rather than stigmatize it as "appropriation". Provide real, in depth cultural competency education, rather than just dictating speech and behavior.

Talk with people from a diversity of cultures and hearing what concerns them, rather than assuming that you already know. Mutual respect is built by exchanging knowledge with those who differ from you, and letting each other know how you would like to be treated, and then acting that way because it's the right thing to do.

Simply being told by a third party that you must say or do this or than, and not say or do this or that (the essence of political correctness) neither improves understanding nor builds respect. It can, in fact, increase resentment, which is counterproductive.

All of those things you suggest are actually happening in the US and around many parts of the world. And people criticize the shit out of them or simply ignore them. When was the last time you searched for a cultural event of a minority group, to which you do not belong, with the intention of going and learning more?

Do you actually think that "political correctness" is something that the left dreamed up as a way of solving all the world's problems with marginalization? Because it sounds like you think that.

You realize that the term "politically correct" doesn't refer to simply calling people out of the stupid shit they say- it's popularly used as a conservative pejorative for liberal policies (just like the ones you describe). Language is a big part of that criticism, but it's not limited to that- it's just evolved over time to refer primarily to use of language.

But, if you look hard enough, you'll see that the suggestions you have already exist.

I see "free speech" proponents as having a tendency to favor of speech that might offend minorities. You rarely see those suspects supporting the actions of someone like Colin Kaepernick. In fact they find his actions offensive. It's not rocket science to figure out what their beef is.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 7 users Like tomilay's post
02-06-2017, 03:29 PM
(01-06-2017 03:58 PM)tomilay Wrote:  
(01-06-2017 03:47 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Censorship can be a matter of law, but it doesn't necessarily have to be.
Plenty of books have been removed from library shelves -- in response to both right- and left-wing demands -- which might have remained where they were in perfect legality.

I agree with self-policing, 100% -- that's what being "civilized" is all about.

Censorship is when someone tells someone else what they can and cannot say.

If censorship is as you define it, then you would also characterize your anti-PC crusade as censorship. No?

I have no problem with people talking about political correctness. Wink

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
02-06-2017, 03:37 PM
(01-06-2017 06:02 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Considering none of these are sources are close to whats going, that Snopes hasn't managed to contact the main actors of this event, I would remain extremly skeptical of everything that goes on. It wouldn't be that surprising to see other outlet retract their story one after the other since one already did it. The restaurant has indeed anounced it was closed and deleted its facebook page, but it might be due to the massive negative media attention brought by this story. It might also re-open. It might be closed for other reasons than the "cultual appropriation" scandal. New restaurants can bankrupt very quickly when faced with negative press or simply because of poor financial planning. Restauration, especially fast food, is a very cutthroat business. I would wait a few more days, the time things dies down a little bit before searching information on this story again.

<shrug> Sure, you might be right.

But the fact that "cultural appropriation" is a hot and persistent topic locally -- and especially in Portland -- and the fact that there are multiple well-circulated lists of "culturally appropriate" restaurants in the area (I linked to two of them), does not tend to trigger a knee-jerk skepticism about the story on my part.

Time will tell, I suppose.

--
Dr H

02-06-2017, 03:39 PM
(01-06-2017 05:28 PM)Vera Wrote:  I mean, who in their right minds would even think of denying this upstanding, white middle-aged citizen (salt of the earth, you know) the god-given right to hurl abuse at a doctor who just spent the last 48 hours saving lives.

Just a pansy libtard snowflake, that's who Drinking Beverage

"Naveed Yasin, 37, had just spent two harrowing shifts trying to save the lives of those injured in Monday night’s devastating attack at Manchester Arena.

After a brief rest at home, he was travelling back into work at Salford Royal Hospital when a white middle-aged man racially abused him.

The man, driving past him, lowered his car window and shouted at Dr Yasin: ‘You brown P*** bastard! Go back to your country, you terrorist. We don’t want you people here. Fuck off.’

Dr Yasin, an orthopaedic surgeon, was born in Keighley in West Yorkshire, but now lives in Manchester with his wife and two daughters.
‘No matter what I say to myself, I can’t take away the hatred he had for me because of my skin colour, and the prejudices he associated with this,’ he told The Times."

How dare he expect not to be abused because of the colour of his skin (and how dare he be born not white!). He's a fucking doctor, he should just transplant himself a pair! Dodgy

So, what is your point, exactly?

That we should legally curtail everyone's liberty, because some people happen to be assholes?

--
Dr H

02-06-2017, 04:12 PM
(02-06-2017 08:15 AM)Emma Wrote:  All of those things you suggest are actually happening in the US and around many parts of the world. And people criticize the shit out of them or simply ignore them. When was the last time you searched for a cultural event of a minority group, to which you do not belong, with the intention of going and learning more?
Well, lets' see... besides the advisory committee for the American Indian/Native Alaskan Outreach project for a local family services agency, on which I participate along with representatives from six of Oregon's nine recognized tribes (that would have been a week ago, Thursday) ... I guess the last purely cultural event would have been the Cinco de Mayo festival in Portland. But maybe that doesn't count, since I also had fun.

Quote:Do you actually think that "political correctness" is something that the left dreamed up as a way of solving all the world's problems with marginalization? Because it sounds like you think that.
No. I think what came to be known as "political correctness" evolved out of a bunch of otherwise only loosely-related good intentions, which some late-comers to the party glommed onto as if it were a preconceived and well-developed philosophy for achieving some form of social equity. Then, without too critically examining the roots of their find, they took it and ran with it.

Quote:You realize that the term "politically correct" doesn't refer to simply calling people out of the stupid shit they say- it's popularly used as a conservative pejorative for liberal policies (just like the ones you describe). Language is a big part of that criticism, but it's not limited to that- it's just evolved over time to refer primarily to use of language.
Of course; I work with this stuff on a daily basis.
I am not a conservative, but that doesn't mean that I have to be in lock-step with every liberal idea, good, bad, or indifferent. Backing the wrong horse is a waste of energy and resources that could ultimately be better expended on more meaningful avenues towards change.

I find it especially annoying when I see someone backing a noble goal -- that I happen to agree with -- for the wrong reason. Besides generally being ineffective, it provides another opening for criticism and mockery by the opposition.
But perhaps that's just me being a crotchety human.

Quote:But, if you look hard enough, you'll see that the suggestions you have already exist.
Yes, they do. But not nearly enough of them, and not nearly extensively enough.
Far too much energy gets wasted on relative trifles.

--
Dr H

[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
02-06-2017, 04:16 PM
(02-06-2017 08:31 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I'll just leave this here ...

I think xenophobia is often mistaken for racism.
They can be related, but they are not the same.

--
Dr H

02-06-2017, 04:20 PM
(02-06-2017 09:33 AM)tomilay Wrote:  I see "free speech" proponents as having a tendency to favor of speech that might offend minorities. You rarely see those suspects supporting the actions of someone like Colin Kaepernick. In fact they find his actions offensive. It's not rocket science to figure out what their beef is.

You see all free-speech proponents as a single, homogenous, monolithic group?

Speech is either free, or it isn't. There's no such thing as "partly free speech".

--
Dr H