Political correctness and comedy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2013, 02:42 PM
Is it just me or are people losing their sense of humour, everything has to be political correct, you can't joke about women, gays, jews, black people without being seen as a sexist, homophobic, antisemitic or racist. Jokes for me are the funniest when they are being borderline offensive. When I look at some 90's belgian kids shows (Buiten De Zone) I'm always surprised at what they could get away with, laughing about suicide, drugs, gays, hitler, etc.
Joking about those things is a way of accepting it, comedy makes serious subjects way easier to talk about like Islam, the moment you say you want to talk about Islam everyone takes a big gulp and just pretend you didn't just say that but when you say you have a joke about islam people are more inclined to listen and when it raises a valid point they would actually start talking about it but alot of people would just call you an islamophobe for making jokes about it.

I don't look forward to the future because compared to 20 years ago (20 years ago was 1993!) everything has gotten very dull.
So yea, is it just me or are people actually losing their sense of humour.

chan chan ki sikin aman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2013, 03:11 PM
Re: Political correctness and comedy
I don't know... I still find plenty of people out there and open with joking at "offensive" things.

I'm not sure its any different. Its that there are different groups opposed to racy jokes but it probably isn't more people than 20 years above % wise.

I think its just more people are now "too liberal" to laugh at those jokes than before those being "too conservative" to laugh at those jokes.

I may be wrong.. Drinking Beverage

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
22-05-2013, 07:18 AM (This post was last modified: 22-05-2013 07:27 AM by mysterics.)
RE: Political correctness and comedy
It's just you.
But it's OK to joke about sex,race, sexuality as long as you don't make fun of people because of their sex/race/sexuality, you need to bear in mind that these are private matters your talking about here, just don't be an ass about it.
[+] 1 user Likes mysterics's post
22-05-2013, 07:37 AM (This post was last modified: 22-05-2013 09:40 PM by Full Circle.)
Having a sense of humor doesn't preclude having feelings.

I'm quite sure that when you are the butt of the joke whether that joke is told today, twenty years ago or 200 years ago it will usually be unfunny to you.

I say usually because some of the funniest standup routines I've ever heard had to do with self-depricating humor to a crowd of similar individuals. As an example a latino comedian to a latin crowd making fun of that group's idyosincrasies (you can replace latino with any skin color, nationality, gender, age group etc).

Humor is a delicate thing that requires the right audience at the right time in the right place. Perhaps your observations have more to do with you than with your audience. Could it be that maybe you just suck at telling jokes? Laughat

(see what I did there?)

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
22-05-2013, 07:52 AM
A long George Carlin session would be in order to straighten things up :)

But I also find it true... It seems it's must full of people who spend their time looking for things to take exception to, jokes to feel offended by and more or less anyithing that could possibly sound wrong to them enough to justify a long sanctimonious rant.
[+] 1 user Likes Thanatos's post
22-05-2013, 09:04 AM
"Any community that gets its laughs by pretending to be idiots will eventually be flooded by actual idiots who mistakenly believe that they're in good company."

You don't want to "make things easier", you just want an excuse to throw around words like Nigger, and hide behind the guise of "just joking, lmfao". Dodgy

You're not going create an atmosphere for discussion and, say, solve the middle east by making holocaust jokes or calling people sand niggers. Don't let people use "comedy" as an excuse to be assholes.
[+] 4 users Like PoolBoyG's post
22-05-2013, 09:21 AM
(22-05-2013 09:04 AM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  [ Don't let people use "comedy" as an excuse to be assholes.

THIS.
I feel like most people can find humor in any topic but there's a fine line between being funny and being an asshole. And most of the assholes I know, *think* they are funny when really they aren't- they're just assholes.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
22-05-2013, 11:18 AM

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
22-05-2013, 11:56 AM
Well said, some of these replies.

Most people don't get that Don Rickles, the equal opportunity offender, was actually mocking stereotypes rather than perpetuating them. By applying horrifying stereotypes to good people, he showed how those stereotypes make no sense.

Racists don't invoke stereotypes in humor to mock the stereotype. Racists invoke stereotypes in humor to mock their targets, and to do so with vicious hate. And that's what the "PC" crowd is reacting to. It's not the loss of a sense of humor. It's the courage to say "enough!"

Does the PC crowd sometimes get it wrong? Sure. Lots of times. But we can be discerning enough to recognize they have a solid point overall, even if that point may not apply to a specific attempt at humor.
[+] 1 user Likes TwoCultSurvivor's post
22-05-2013, 05:32 PM
I believe that anything and everything should be joked about. Period.

With that said, it's not as though there are things people won't find offensive. There are things which even I find offensive. But they are things which have affected me personally, and thus, I don't find them funny. At the same time, however, I have no problem laughing at things that may have affected other people personally.

In the end: don't ask me to stop making 9/11 or rape jokes and I won't ask you to stop making infidelity jokes. As long as we agree that we're ok with cringing as often as we laugh (I'll let you take a shot at me if you let me take a shot at you), I think we'll be alright. We'll slap one another on the back and go do other stuff.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post