Libertarian
Other (write-in)
[Show Results]

Political philosophies (a discussion?)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-07-2013, 09:51 AM
Political philosophies (a discussion?)
I think if I were to try and lay down a political trajectory for my life thus far, it would be

Don't know -> Conservative -> Republican -> Don't know -> Libertarian -> Don't know -> Liberal

I was born and raised into conservative reublicanism in Tennessee, and would have reiterated that rhetoric as I left high school entering into college (mostly from the perspective of my older brother). That gave way within the next few years as I began to realize a few things. Chiefly among them was the notion of "small government" that was being bandied about as conservative republicanism. Then I realized that what Republicans really wanted was not smaller government, just their version of government. So, I just started saying I was "socially liberal but fiscally conservative" as if I knew what I was talking about.

That was when I discovered the term "Libertarian" that seemed to fit my social liberal, fiscal conservative, and small government mindset. I was stoked! So, I began to buy into it. Only to realize that the small government mindset revolved around really small government. As in, privatization of: public security, roads, fire control, education, etc. This began to seem like a really shitty way to run a country (maybe not a bad way to run a small community). If someone owns route 66, they have control over everything about it. Including whether or not you are allowed to drive on it. What materials are used. How often it is maintained. And security? Well, private security will pretty much mean 0 security for those who can't afford it. Education too seemed okay at first, and then you look at how widely the curriculums vary as is among the different states. Variety in education (at the K-12 level) is not necessarily a good thing when some curricumlms include rewriting history to diminish the role of Thomas Jefferson and inflate the role of Thomas Aquinas in US history. Or to teach that the Loch ness monster is real and disproves evolution.

So, I guess I am a liberal in both social and government-size terms. Anyone got any thoughts on their political persuasions and/or past opinions?

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2013, 10:03 AM
RE: Political philosophies (a discussion?)
You're probably a Right-wing Libertarian TBD. (I'm a right wing libertarian by the way).

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
08-07-2013, 10:05 AM
(08-07-2013 10:03 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  You're probably a Right-wing Libertarian TBD. (I'm a right wing libertarian by the way).

Any chance you could elaborate the difference for me?

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
08-07-2013, 10:06 AM
Considering privatization is the problem America faces right now, I am opposed to Anarcho-Capitalism/Libertarian. I am actually for a larger government right now, and out of all of the shit floating around in the American political system, I find that the Democrats are the least fanatical.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
08-07-2013, 10:07 AM
(08-07-2013 10:03 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  You're probably a Right-wing Libertarian TBD. (I'm a right wing libertarian by the way).

Dude, there is a difference between the worldwide political spectrum and the American political spectrum.

08-07-2013, 10:15 AM
(08-07-2013 10:07 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  

Dude, there is a difference between the worldwide political spectrum and the American political spectrum.

Yes there is, but Muffs is most likely correct. Unless you're a big government tax and spend democrat you probably would fall into the right wing libertarian in most of the world. Part of the problem is in America both parties are actually either center right or far right. There is no true left wing party just as there is no small government party (in practice not rhetoric)

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
08-07-2013, 10:18 AM
Well, I'm not opposed to taxation and government spending. But the US is not very good at spending the money well (and by "well" I suppose I should concede that I mean based on my views).

—Thomas Henry Huxley
08-07-2013, 10:31 AM
(08-07-2013 10:05 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  

Any chance you could elaborate the difference for me?

In a nutshell, it's less hippie... It's more realistic.

Liberals tend to favor everything being free. Like.. EVERYTHING...

Right wing Libertarian still believes in small government, but understands that a government is necessary.
It basically says that the government should stay the fuck out of people's personal lives, ie: have no say in gay marriage, smoking weed etc..(but still uphold a standard of law and order to protect human rights such as the right to not get murdered...), the same as a liberal would. BUT where it differs is in the market environment. Typically this is why I never want left wing parties in power. Typically, Liberals (who are usually left wing) favor things like laissez-faire or communism. Like a good example would be someone who wants all manufacturing to come back to America. This is opposite to capitalism because China can produce things much more efficient then you, but a Liberal would only see that as jobs for Americans. A right wing libertarian favors capitalism and required regulation in that market (ie: regulation against monopolies) to promote capitalist principles, such as competition. See, a right wing Libertarian would see that it is far more efficient to send manufacturing to China, giving cheaper goods to all and allowing that work force that would other wise be making stuff in factories to be freed up to do something America is far more efficient at.

I hope I'm getting the difference across.
Right-Libertarian = realistic, makes economic and social sense.
Liberal = hippie bullshit.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
08-07-2013, 10:39 AM
Okay, I see what you are saying. Liberal (the US version) wouldn't quite hold up to your description I think.

(08-07-2013 10:31 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 10:05 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Any chance you could elaborate the difference for me?

In a nutshell, it's less hippie... It's more realistic.

Liberals tend to favor everything being free. Like.. EVERYTHING...

Right wing Libertarian still believes in small government, but understands that a government is necessary.
It basically says that the government should stay the fuck out of people's personal lives, ie: have no say in gay marriage, smoking weed etc..(but still uphold a standard of law and order to protect human rights such as the right to not get murdered...), the same as a liberal would. BUT where it differs is in the market environment. Typically this is why I never want left wing parties in power. Typically, Liberals (who are usually left wing) favor things like laissez-faire or communism. Like a good example would be someone who wants all manufacturing to come back to America. This is opposite to capitalism because China can produce things much more efficient then you, but a Liberal would only see that as jobs for Americans. A right wing libertarian favors capitalism and required regulation in that market (ie: regulation against monopolies) to promote capitalist principles, such as competition. See, a right wing Libertarian would see that it is far more efficient to send manufacturing to China, giving cheaper goods to all and allowing that work force that would other wise be making stuff in factories to be freed up to do something America is far more efficient at.

I hope I'm getting the difference across.
Right-Libertarian = realistic, makes economic and social sense.
Liberal = hippie bullshit.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
08-07-2013, 11:04 AM
(08-07-2013 10:31 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Liberals tend to favor everything being free. Like.. EVERYTHING...

I am a liberal and I don't at all think EVERYTHING should be free.