Politics After Harvey

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2017, 05:14 PM
Politics After Harvey
It looks like Harvey will hang around a while and dump more rain on Texas and Houston. The US Corp of Engineers is opening up floodgate of some dams about to overflow and will add to the chaos. Many are now homeless and many have lost autos due to flooding. Grocery stores are closed and people have no way to get to them anyway. Houston's water and sewers systems are soon to be contaminated due to flooding or even inoperable.

GOP small government policies are about to have a major collision with reality. Just in time for the end of the year budget battles.

There is obviously, no plan in place. Not on a federal lever, state or local. and the aftermath will drag on for months, even years. Lost jobs and businesses will drag the economy down further in the immediate future.

The political chaos about to wash down on us will be amazing to watch. What the political end of all this will be is hard to say, but it is going to be a major issue for years to come. Can Small Government GOP hard ball politics survive this all? Will Harvey in retrospect be a turning point in US politics?

Us political junkies will have quite a bit of fun watching this all unfold. Libertarianism may be finished as that hasn't a clue in these situations.

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post
28-08-2017, 05:32 PM
RE: Politics After Harvey
Here's a plan:
Stop building houses that can be destroyed by hurricanes in places of the world where hurricanes are a thing.

Ever since I asked my dad when I was little what would happen to our house if there was a hurricane in Greece and he laughed and said "nothing", I can't help but wonder why people seem to ignore the existence of concrete.

Sorry, I just have to say it every time this comes up. Can't help it.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 4 users Like undergroundp's post
28-08-2017, 05:51 PM (This post was last modified: 28-08-2017 06:15 PM by Cheerful Charlie.)
(28-08-2017 05:32 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Here's a plan:
Stop building houses that can be destroyed by hurricanes in places of the world where hurricanes are a thing.

Ever since I asked my dad when I was little what would happen to our house if there was a hurricane in Greece and he laughed and said "nothing", I can't help but wonder why people seem to ignore the existence of concrete.

Sorry, I just have to say it every time this comes up. Can't help it.

Here in Houston, the problem is people building homes in flood prone areas. It's not smart, but laws have not been politically able to get passed to discourage doing this for the most part. Now vast amounts of water are backed up behind two major dams meant to control flooding and to prevent these dams collapsing or being overflowed, the US Corps of Engineers will open the flood gates to release water. Lots of MacMansions built in what used to be rice fields will be flooded. The water released will then continue on down through downtown Houston.

And there is a distinct possibility of one or both of these dams collapsing, both have been known to have engineering problems.

http://www.houstonpress.com/news/if-the-...il-6594886

There is a possibility of this making a Katrina and New Orleans type situation.

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 2 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post
28-08-2017, 07:12 PM
This won't end small-government predilections.
28-08-2017, 07:17 PM
(28-08-2017 05:32 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Here's a plan:

Concrete not so great in earthquakes.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
28-08-2017, 07:38 PM
There's too many fucking people.

Scientists might be too careful to say it but this is global warming and this isn't shit compared to what's coming. Nature doesn't give a fuck.
[+] 3 users Like I'mFred's post
28-08-2017, 07:41 PM
(28-08-2017 05:14 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  It looks like Harvey will hang around a while and dump more rain on Texas and Houston. The US Corp of Engineers is opening up floodgate of some dams about to overflow and will add to the chaos. Many are now homeless and many have lost autos due to flooding. Grocery stores are closed and people have no way to get to them anyway. Houston's water and sewers systems are soon to be contaminated due to flooding or even inoperable.

GOP small government policies are about to have a major collision with reality. Just in time for the end of the year budget battles.

There is obviously, no plan in place. Not on a federal lever, state or local. and the aftermath will drag on for months, even years. Lost jobs and businesses will drag the economy down further in the immediate future.

The political chaos about to wash down on us will be amazing to watch. What the political end of all this will be is hard to say, but it is going to be a major issue for years to come. Can Small Government GOP hard ball politics survive this all? Will Harvey in retrospect be a turning point in US politics?

Us political junkies will have quite a bit of fun watching this all unfold. Libertarianism may be finished as that hasn't a clue in these situations.

I didn't blame Bush for Katrina and I'm not blaming Trump for Harvey.

I blame myself for contributing to global warming.
28-08-2017, 08:30 PM
(28-08-2017 05:14 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  GOP small government policies are about to have a major collision with reality. Just in time for the end of the year budget battles.

Ted Cruz didn't want the federal government to pay for Hurricane Sandy, but it appears he changed his mind about Hurricane Harvey.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/28...ruz-242098
28-08-2017, 08:30 PM
(28-08-2017 07:41 PM)ImFred Wrote:  ...

I blame this guy...

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
28-08-2017, 10:22 PM
(28-08-2017 07:41 PM)ImFred Wrote:  
(28-08-2017 05:14 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  It looks like Harvey will hang around a while and dump more rain on Texas and Houston. The US Corp of Engineers is opening up floodgate of some dams about to overflow and will add to the chaos. Many are now homeless and many have lost autos due to flooding. Grocery stores are closed and people have no way to get to them anyway. Houston's water and sewers systems are soon to be contaminated due to flooding or even inoperable.

I didn't blame Bush for Katrina and I'm not blaming Trump for Harvey.

No, we can't blame trump for Harvey. But the aftermath of Harvey gives Trump a good playing field to display lots of incompetence and lack of effective and thoughtful leadership. Hero or Goat? Remember when George W. Bush ran he promised the set up a rainy day fund? That never happened. And our Congress never managed to think ahead about doings something like that for these sorts of catastrophes. Obama at least gave us a policy of mandating that construction in such places as Houston be more resistant to flooding and wind damage in places that need it. Trump just cancelled those policies. He is off to a good start already. On the other hand, he has touted a large infrastructure program. The Barker and Atticks dams repair are two prime projects that need to be done and it is going to be expensive. If we dodge the bullet and they hold. Dealing with the problems of people building in flood prone areas is something politicians haven't had the courage to tackle and it may be something nature forces us to do now. All of this is going to put the Texas GOP who runs this state to the test also.

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post