Politics After Harvey

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2017, 11:40 PM
RE: Politics After Harvey
Sometimes.....sometimes I think some of y'all are just politically unhealthy and morbid.

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
29-08-2017, 02:48 AM
Only gonna get wetter...

[/php]
[+] 1 user Likes Gaest's post
29-08-2017, 03:13 AM
(28-08-2017 07:17 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-08-2017 05:32 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Here's a plan:
Stop building houses that can be destroyed by hurricanes in places of the world where hurricanes are a thing.

Ever since I asked my dad when I was little what would happen to our house if there was a hurricane in Greece and he laughed and said "nothing", I can't help but wonder why people seem to ignore the existence of concrete.

Concrete not so great in earthquakes.

Well, technically, any kind of building can kill you in an earthquake. Greeks have been required by law for years now to only build earthquake-resistant buildings; and those need concrete.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
29-08-2017, 04:25 AM (This post was last modified: 29-08-2017 04:30 AM by Thoreauvian.)
(29-08-2017 02:48 AM)Gaest Wrote:  Only gonna get wetter...

[/php]

Excellent video.

So if Trump really cared about the destruction caused by hurricanes, he would not be withdrawing the U.S. from the Paris Agreement on Climate Change and trying to undermine methane emission regulations, among other things.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
29-08-2017, 06:59 AM
(29-08-2017 03:13 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(28-08-2017 07:17 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Concrete not so great in earthquakes.

Well, technically, any kind of building can kill you in an earthquake. Greeks have been required by law for years now to only build earthquake-resistant buildings; and those need concrete.

Live in a bouncy castle...

An earthquake just adds to the fun.

Tongue

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
30-08-2017, 05:33 PM
(29-08-2017 04:25 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  ... if Trump really cared about ...

That's gotta be the most useless prepositional phrase in the language. "If the Moon fell into the Atlantic Ocean" is almost as useless except that it could actually happen if a large enough asteroid passed close by. There's no possibility of the former.
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
30-08-2017, 08:07 PM
Get 'em out by Friday

Smart timing by the politically incorrect... while all the pens are still under water.

Follow the money... again.

Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
31-08-2017, 06:13 AM (This post was last modified: 31-08-2017 06:39 AM by Thoreauvian.)
(30-08-2017 05:33 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(29-08-2017 04:25 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  ... if Trump really cared about ...

That's gotta be the most useless prepositional phrase in the language. "If the Moon fell into the Atlantic Ocean" is almost as useless except that it could actually happen if a large enough asteroid passed close by. There's no possibility of the former.

Trump cares about looking like a tough guy.

In fact, I'm surprised he's not wearing black leather jackets and chains like Michael Jackson.

Hobo
31-08-2017, 07:49 AM
(28-08-2017 05:14 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  The political chaos about to wash down on us will be amazing to watch. What the political end of all this will be is hard to say, but it is going to be a major issue for years to come. Can Small Government GOP hard ball politics survive this all? Will Harvey in retrospect be a turning point in US politics?

Us political junkies will have quite a bit of fun watching this all unfold. Libertarianism may be finished as that hasn't a clue in these situations.

If this had happened 12-13 months later, we might have more political fallout. Katrina hit two months before a fairly major election, and people were mad at how Bush handled it. There are not a lot of elections coming up this year, and pretty much everyone who doesn't live in Texas will have forgotten about this by November of 2018.
31-08-2017, 08:32 AM
(28-08-2017 05:32 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Here's a plan:
Stop building houses that can be destroyed by hurricanes in places of the world where hurricanes are a thing.

Ever since I asked my dad when I was little what would happen to our house if there was a hurricane in Greece and he laughed and said "nothing", I can't help but wonder why people seem to ignore the existence of concrete.

Sorry, I just have to say it every time this comes up. Can't help it.

Duh, but again, as others have pointed out, we have a GOP that lets big business do whatever the fuck they want.

This is like saying, "How about putting seat belts in cars."

DUH, but look how car companies had to be dragged kicking and screaming, and the only thing that got them there were government regulations.

THE GOP does not give one shit about public safety.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user