Politics After Harvey

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2017, 08:40 AM
RE: Politics After Harvey
(31-08-2017 07:49 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(28-08-2017 05:14 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  The political chaos about to wash down on us will be amazing to watch. What the political end of all this will be is hard to say, but it is going to be a major issue for years to come. Can Small Government GOP hard ball politics survive this all? Will Harvey in retrospect be a turning point in US politics?

Us political junkies will have quite a bit of fun watching this all unfold. Libertarianism may be finished as that hasn't a clue in these situations.

If this had happened 12-13 months later, we might have more political fallout. Katrina hit two months before a fairly major election, and people were mad at how Bush handled it. There are not a lot of elections coming up this year, and pretty much everyone who doesn't live in Texas will have forgotten about this by November of 2018.

Um no. You might argue many forget but not all. And dems need to stop worrying about what the GOP does, and we need to worry about our own daily long term goals. We beat Koch brother money twice with Obama. We simply need to think local and state with the same attitude.

What pissed me off about losing to 45 was that not enough of the left gave a shit about SCOTUS and that alone should have been enough, but it wasn't. I don't want to lose seats in 18 and equally important is I don't want 45 to have 8 years.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
31-08-2017, 08:56 AM (This post was last modified: 31-08-2017 08:59 AM by ClydeLee.)
I'm pretty sure the Kochs backed Herman Cain in 2012. .. and the money issue is not as much a president issue because both have money. It's why congress has such high retained rates and why stronghold GOP congressmen get more fear when the money begins backing a further right primary challenger. So really that Koch money funded that Congress the vs Obama battle was won in the lesser grounds.

But in that year or year before a lot of people were pro how Obama handled Sandy and basically before the bridge locksdown issue Chris Christie was dropped from respect by republican loyalists because he praised Obama.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
31-08-2017, 11:26 AM
I just read in this morning's newspaper that Trump has promised billions of dollars in disaster relief to Texas -- but -- FEMA is low on funds, partly because Congress diverted a billion dollars or so from disaster relief to pay for Trump's magnificent border wall.

Facepalm
[+] 5 users Like Grasshopper's post
31-08-2017, 11:27 AM
(31-08-2017 11:26 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I just read in this morning's newspaper that Trump has promised billions of dollars in disaster relief to Texas -- but -- FEMA is low on funds, partly because Congress diverted a billion dollars or so from disaster relief to pay for Trump's magnificent border wall.

Facepalm

It's a vicious cycle of dumb

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
31-08-2017, 11:29 AM
(31-08-2017 11:27 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(31-08-2017 11:26 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I just read in this morning's newspaper that Trump has promised billions of dollars in disaster relief to Texas -- but -- FEMA is low on funds, partly because Congress diverted a billion dollars or so from disaster relief to pay for Trump's magnificent border wall.

Facepalm

It's a vicious cycle of dumb

Republicans don't like big government -- until they need it.
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
31-08-2017, 11:39 AM

Facepalm

Not to mention that he and his family already spent their year's travel budget....

Fiscally conservative republicans can't be happy with all that.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
31-08-2017, 03:54 PM
(31-08-2017 11:29 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(31-08-2017 11:27 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  It's a vicious cycle of dumb

Republicans don't like big government -- until they need it.

Republicans don't like big FEDERAL government (because they have traditionally had much more control at the state level to do whatever they wanted)-until they need it. FTFY

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
01-09-2017, 04:21 AM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2017 04:25 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(28-08-2017 05:32 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Here's a plan:
Stop building houses that can be destroyed by hurricanes in places of the world where hurricanes are a thing.

Ever since I asked my dad when I was little what would happen to our house if there was a hurricane in Greece and he laughed and said "nothing", I can't help but wonder why people seem to ignore the existence of concrete.

Sorry, I just have to say it every time this comes up. Can't help it.

I always liked the idea of building a home into the earth. My mother's house is a two story with a basement and a 2 car garage, however the garage is part of the basement. The house is built into the side of a hill, so that it appears to be 2 stories from the front, but from the back it looks like 3 stories as you can see the basement level garage.

But seriously, this stuff is cool as hell.

[Image: 3676A3FB00000578-0-image-a-29_1469094525561.jpg]

Even if you don't dig it out, but rather build a structure and cover it in earth. Once you get enough ground over and around you, it becomes very easy to regulate temperature, staying warm in winter and cool in summer. You've got little to no siding or roof to worry about. Creative use of skylights and tunnels can supply you with plenty of natural light, weather permitting. Worst part is having to mow your house, in addition to your lawn...

Also, lots and lots of concrete. Tongue

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
01-09-2017, 04:27 AM
(31-08-2017 03:54 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(31-08-2017 11:29 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  Republicans don't like big government -- until they need it.

Republicans don't like big FEDERAL government (because they have traditionally had much more control at the state level to do whatever they wanted)-until they need it. FTFY

Indeed, give those Federal FEMA dollars to the locals instead, so they can rebuild the right neighborhoods first. Dodgy

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post