Who gives a shit if a bunch of yahoos occupy a visitor center
The Dakota pipeline protestors aren’t armed
Money is at stake
All of the above
[Show Results]

Poll: Cowboys and Indians

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2016, 05:34 PM (This post was last modified: 30-10-2016 05:40 PM by Full Circle.)
Poll: Cowboys and Indians
What do you think is the reason for the difference in approach by law enforcement to the Oregon/Bundy armed standoff and the Dakota pipeline standoff?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
30-10-2016, 05:54 PM
RE: Poll: Cowboys and Indians
I thought this was about am I gonna watch the Cowboys-Eagles or the Cubs-Indians.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
30-10-2016, 06:05 PM
(30-10-2016 05:54 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I thought this was about am I gonna watch the Cowboys-Eagles or the Cubs-Indians.

Hah!

[Image: acdn-meme-am_instances_500x_55727610-jpg.204244]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
30-10-2016, 06:42 PM
Scale of trespassing involved, the Oregon facility being closed at the time and there being no reason to risk escalation in the short term with the threat contained and under siege, as compared to the Standing Rock protests, which are immediately disruptive to the interests of pretty much every leverage holding entity involved and have the potential to quickly grow and escalate.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
30-10-2016, 06:48 PM
(30-10-2016 06:42 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Scale of trespassing involved, the Oregon facility being closed at the time and there being no reason to risk escalation in the short term with the threat contained and under siege, as compared to the Standing Rock protests, which are immediately disruptive to the interests of pretty much every leverage holding entity involved and have the potential to quickly grow and escalate.

It closed because no one would go to work because they afraid in Oregon.

The native Americans are trying to protect the river that supplies their water. From what I read the pipeline didn't have to take the route they decided to take, there's been zero due process for them -- close to their reservation. The government also assured them long ago, their former land wouldn't be disturbed.

They also aren't the ones with guns.

So there's that.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 8 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
30-10-2016, 07:13 PM
(30-10-2016 05:34 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  What do you think is the reason for the difference in approach by law enforcement to the Oregon/Bundy armed standoff and the Dakota pipeline standoff?

I'm going to take a wild stab at this. Money? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Chas's post
30-10-2016, 07:23 PM
The Dakota Pipeline protesters were removed last week.
The public is shocked with the verdict ... they won't get off in Nevada.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
30-10-2016, 08:32 PM
(30-10-2016 07:13 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-10-2016 05:34 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  What do you think is the reason for the difference in approach by law enforcement to the Oregon/Bundy armed standoff and the Dakota pipeline standoff?

I'm going to take a wild stab at this. Money? Consider

Yes That and darker skins and no guns...wait, did I just start the...nope, not this time. :wipes sweat off brow emoji:
30-10-2016, 08:42 PM
(30-10-2016 06:48 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(30-10-2016 06:42 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Scale of trespassing involved, the Oregon facility being closed at the time and there being no reason to risk escalation in the short term with the threat contained and under siege, as compared to the Standing Rock protests, which are immediately disruptive to the interests of pretty much every leverage holding entity involved and have the potential to quickly grow and escalate.

It closed because no one would go to work because they afraid in Oregon.

The native Americans are trying to protect the river that supplies their water. From what I read the pipeline didn't have to take the route they decided to take, there's been zero due process for them -- close to their reservation. The government also assured them long ago, their former land wouldn't be disturbed.

They also aren't the ones with guns.

So there's that.

The one thing both had in common is they lasted as long as they did only because of the restraint showed by the authorities. Either could have been swiftly crushed.

As for the pipeline protests, while I sympathize with their bigger picture situation and the past that lead us to this point, there was in fact due process, and it happened before the protests started. All relevant private land owners agreed. Where relevant, Standing Rock representatives agreed. Then after the substantial investments had been made, machinery put in place, workers hired, etc, then suddenly they decided they had a problem with it and sympathy spread like wildfire. The route chosen was chosen because there are already gas pipelines along a significant portion of it.

On a sidenote, I'm just as tired of irrational native superstition being a relevant factor as I am of Abrahamic superstition.

There isn't a single person here who is not absolutely dependent on the flow of resources like oil, and getting out from under the thumb of places like Saudi Arabia means developing what we've got to the point where it becomes economically viable.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
30-10-2016, 08:43 PM

White people with guns are never considered terrorists.

Minorities without guns are shot for having broken tail lights.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post