Poll Data: Christianity on the decline in America

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2012, 06:46 AM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2012 06:52 AM by Ozzie.)
Poll Data: Christianity on the decline in America
The number of Protestants in the US has dropped below 50% for the first time in the history of the United States, according to a Pew Research Poll. Furthermore, the number of Christians in America declined by 5% over the past 5 years, and now only make up 73% of the American population.

Atheists have increased from 1.6% in 2007 to 2.3% in 2012, while agnostics have grown from 2.1% to 3.3% in that same period of time. But most importantly, the number of people who identify themselves as having no particular religious beliefs has increased significantly over the same period, bringing the number of people in the US who are unaffiliated with any religion to 19.6%. For whatever reason they are not identifying themselves as atheists or agnostics (probably because of the discrimination atheists and agnostics face from Christians) but at least the number of non-believers (regardless of what they call themselves) is growing.

So next time the pesky Creationists tell you that this is a nation of Christians, feel free to point out that Christianity is loosing 1% every year while the number of non-religious Americans is growing almost as fast...so they better enjoy it while they have the chance. Tongue

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...igion.html

Stop the itchy blanket of Creationism from spreading to our classrooms. Say no to Iron Age superstitions Evil_monster
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Ozzie's post
09-10-2012, 07:19 AM
RE: Poll Data: Christianity on the decline in America
I saw that this morning. Very exciting. Also glad to see that the percentage of "nones" under the age of 30 was somewhere in the neighborhood of 33%. That means this trend is very likely to continue.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
09-10-2012, 07:26 AM
Hey, with growths like that, maybe the US will eventually catch up to Aus in... maybe a decade?

I can't speak to atheist statistics themselves (the census data I have seen simply states "No Religion", as opposed to atheism and agnosticism and what not.) But "No Religion" saw good growth in the 2011 census over here...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
09-10-2012, 07:30 AM
(09-10-2012 07:26 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Hey, with growths like that, maybe the US will eventually catch up to Aus in... maybe a decade?

I can't speak to atheist statistics themselves (the census data I have seen simply states "No Religion", as opposed to atheism and agnosticism and what not.) But "No Religion" saw good growth in the 2011 census over here...

Self-identified atheists/agnostics, while growing, are still about 5% of the population. A good 15% of the Nones in the U.S. would consider themselves "believers" or "spiritual" just unaffiliated with a specific religious doctrine.

All in all good trend news, but a LONG way to go...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-10-2012, 07:36 AM
(09-10-2012 07:30 AM)Seasbury Wrote:  
(09-10-2012 07:26 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Hey, with growths like that, maybe the US will eventually catch up to Aus in... maybe a decade?

Self-identified atheists/agnostics, while growing, are still about 5% of the population. A good 15% of the Nones in the U.S. would consider themselves "believers" or "spiritual" just unaffiliated with a specific religious doctrine.

All in all good trend news, but a LONG way to go...

That 15% do not identify themselves as protestant, catholic, or any other religion. At best you could say that some of them are deists or loosely spiritual. That is excellent news as far as I'm concerned, because that is 90% of the way to becoming full blown atheists. They've already taken the big step of saying "We are not Christians anymore, and we do not identify with any other religion either."

Stop the itchy blanket of Creationism from spreading to our classrooms. Say no to Iron Age superstitions Evil_monster
09-10-2012, 07:50 AM
(09-10-2012 07:36 AM)Ozzie Wrote:  That 15% do not identify themselves as protestant, catholic, or any other religion. At best you could say that some of them are deists or loosely spiritual. That is excellent news as far as I'm concerned, because that is 90% of the way to becoming full blown atheists. They've already taken the big step of saying "We are not Christians anymore, and we do not identify with any other religion either."

Ozzie - I think that's a bit overly optimistic. I know many people that consider themselves Christian without the trappings. They would fall in the unaffiliated category but their core beliefs remains in a "spiritual christian" state.

I agree - the trend data is highly encouraging. But I can't see 90% ready to take the next step. The Pew data suggests that most are simply frustrated that "the church" (ambiguity implied) is to concerned with money, power, and politics and does not represent their beliefs.

Sadly, a good many people will adapt their core beliefs to some sort of belief-system (for lack of a better descriptor) that allows them to make sense of the world.

Not to project, but even in my final years of being a "christian" my belief system was hardly what a "real Christian" would consider close to Christian.

The Pew data is fascinating, but it has depth as well. Consider that 27% of the unaffiliated attend church services at least once a year. That 34% of the unaffiliated say that religion is at least somewhat important in their lives. And that 55% of the unaffiliated describe themselves as "religious" or "spiritual."

A good chunk of the unaffiliated may indeed be on a path toward non-religious, but the "none" title is and remains ambiguous. Great trend numbers, but something we need to continue to watch, monitor, and work on Smile

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[+] 1 user Likes Seasbury's post
09-10-2012, 08:02 AM
I'm only just beginning to get in to the meat of the actual published report -- I love Pew studies!

Among the most telling numbers:

7% of Americans answered No to the question, "Do you believe in a god or a universal spirit"

Among the unaffiliated, a full 68% answered that question with a "Yes." 30% with "absolute certainty" and 38% with a "Fairly certain."

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[+] 1 user Likes Seasbury's post
09-10-2012, 12:54 PM
I don't think we will (as a race....that is to say human) ever see a time when everyone is Atheist and Agnostic no matter how much fact we get about our origins. There will always be a sizable chunk of people who want to believe that their life has some higher purpose. Perhaps The God Gene is to blame? I think it is quite possible anyway. Whatever the case, I have not lost hope that one day the a-religious will not be systematically discriminated against. I haven't even lost hope that the a-religious may make up a majority. Not in my lifetime, but maybe within the next 300 years. See, told you I'm hopeful.

09-10-2012, 02:44 PM

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
09-10-2012, 02:51 PM
This still isn't fast enough IMO to prevent us from destroying ourselves due to religion.

Keep in mind these numbers are in the developed world and not in the middle east where it is really dangerous. I have my doubts at this point about the sustainability of humanity if Islam is allowed to continue with it's hateful deadly message of convert or die.

It's good to see these numbers at home but they do nothing to address the one religion that is the biggest threat humanity has possibly seen to it's continued existence. Islam.
[+] 1 user Likes Godless's post