Poll: What is your preferred afterlife
This poll is closed.
Supernatural hell: Get tortured for a hundred years, but not actually and then be turned loose to temp people. 11.76% 2 11.76%
Supernatural heaven: Supposedly your idea of paradise, but from what I saw way too cramped to spend an eternity. 23.53% 4 23.53%
Catholic idea: Burn forever. 0% 0 0%
Seperation from god for eternity. 64.71% 11 64.71%
Total 17 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Poll: What version of the afterlife would you prefer?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-10-2017, 03:06 PM
RE: Poll: What version of the afterlife would you prefer?
(03-10-2017 10:31 PM)CosmoMcKinley Wrote:  Wasn't on the list, but I always like Albert Brooks' afterlife with all-you-can-eat pie and all-you-can-eat Meryl Streep back when you'd want to.

As a backup, take me to Valhalla. Battling all day then feasting and wenching all night always sounded pretty good to me.
I suppose true freedom of choice (the ability to make any desired choices without negative consequences of any kind) combined with the removal of hedonic tone so you'd never get acclimated to / bored by any particular experience or stimulus might work for awhile. Actually the modification of hedonic tone I suppose, so that it would not last long or have permanent effects, so that any repetition of an experience would be just as subjectively compelling no matter how many times you did it, as if it was always a new experience.

But I think even with those modifications to reality and to our humanity, somehow doing what you want, when you want, always, would ultimately be unfulfilling unless it involved curiosity and some deliberate solicitation of new knowledge, skills or experiences and a desire to grow in wisdom and virtue.

Fun thought experiment, but honestly I'm glad I'm mortal and satisfied with the experiences I've had.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
06-10-2017, 03:46 AM
(05-10-2017 09:24 AM)natachan Wrote:  ...Eternity in any form would be torture...

But you know, right, that for theologians eternity doesn't mean an endless passing of time. That's the colloquial sense, but anybody smart [Augustine, Aquinas, Dante, et.al.] who wrote about heaven used the word eternity to refer to being outside of time.

So being in a sempiternal heaven would indeed get old after a while. But eternal heaven, they say, has no passing time and can't get old.

Probably you've heard the theory some physicists have, that time isn't real; it's an illusion based on the way limited humans perceive things. It's hard to imagine no time, but that's a closer picture of what eternal heaven is supposed to be like.
06-10-2017, 04:57 AM
(06-10-2017 03:46 AM)Belaqua Wrote:  
(05-10-2017 09:24 AM)natachan Wrote:  ...Eternity in any form would be torture...

But you know, right, that for theologians eternity doesn't mean an endless passing of time. That's the colloquial sense, but anybody smart [Augustine, Aquinas, Dante, et.al.] who wrote about heaven used the word eternity to refer to being outside of time.

So being in a sempiternal heaven would indeed get old after a while. But eternal heaven, they say, has no passing time and can't get old.

Probably you've heard the theory some physicists have, that time isn't real; it's an illusion based on the way limited humans perceive things. It's hard to imagine no time, but that's a closer picture of what eternal heaven is supposed to be like.

If there is no time then there are no thoughts or actions. Stasis would be indistinguishable from non-existence.

If there is somehow consciousness without time in some way that we can't possibly comprehend then discussing it is meaningless because we literally are talking about something we know nothing about.

People don't want to be dead so they imagine that they will survive dying despite having zero evidence for that. They then realize that eternal existence would be boring so they hand-wave that away with more unsubstantiated and unfalsifiable claims like being "outside time". It's bullshit layered on bullshit.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
06-10-2017, 05:03 AM
(06-10-2017 03:46 AM)Belaqua Wrote:  

That sounds like a lot of fun:

[Image: Han-Solo-in-Carbonite.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
06-10-2017, 04:03 PM
(05-10-2017 09:24 AM)natachan Wrote:  Eternity in any form would be torture.

How do you know? Have you done it yet? Consider

Occasional TTA returner then leaverer.
[+] 2 users Like Logica Humano's post
06-10-2017, 04:11 PM
(06-10-2017 04:03 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  

Eternity would take a lot of the pressure off.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
06-10-2017, 05:10 PM
(05-10-2017 03:06 PM)mordant Wrote:  
(03-10-2017 10:31 PM)CosmoMcKinley Wrote:  Wasn't on the list, but I always like Albert Brooks' afterlife with all-you-can-eat pie and all-you-can-eat Meryl Streep back when you'd want to.

As a backup, take me to Valhalla. Battling all day then feasting and wenching all night always sounded pretty good to me.
I suppose true freedom of choice (the ability to make any desired choices without negative consequences of any kind) combined with the removal of hedonic tone so you'd never get acclimated to / bored by any particular experience or stimulus might work for awhile. Actually the modification of hedonic tone I suppose, so that it would not last long or have permanent effects, so that any repetition of an experience would be just as subjectively compelling no matter how many times you did it, as if it was always a new experience.

But I think even with those modifications to reality and to our humanity, somehow doing what you want, when you want, always, would ultimately be unfulfilling unless it involved curiosity and some deliberate solicitation of new knowledge, skills or experiences and a desire to grow in wisdom and virtue.

Fun thought experiment, but honestly I'm glad I'm mortal and satisfied with the experiences I've had.

I suppose that it comes down to just how sensate and able to appreciate subtleties one is. There are very few experiences one can have that are not unique on some level. Learning to appreciate such subtleties is, I think, the key to overcoming boredom, maybe even on an infinite timeline.

Cherry pie or hair pie, every serving you're presented with can be a new experience as long as you're open to it. Smile
06-10-2017, 06:49 PM
(06-10-2017 04:57 AM)unfogged Wrote:  ...People don't want to be dead so they imagine that they will survive dying despite having zero evidence for that. They then realize that eternal existence would be boring so they hand-wave that away with more unsubstantiated and unfalsifiable claims like being "outside time"...

In the books I was talking about, the writers give arguments other than this for why they think of eternity the way they do.

I confess I don't feel comfortable psychologizing about people who lived centuries ago, or attributing unspoken motives to them.

Do you have some historical evidence that the reasons you give are the real reasons they made their conclusions? Or is it more of a guess on your part?
06-10-2017, 10:20 PM
My ideal afterlife?

Star Wars.

Heaven would be going on adventures with Han and Chewie.

No
06-10-2017, 10:22 PM
(06-10-2017 04:03 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  

I'll just get a memory wipe every billion years.

No