Poll about the meaning of Sex

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2013, 12:36 PM
Poll about the meaning of Sex
Hi everyone,

I'm just doing a bit of work for a class paper and was interested in collecting some sample thoughts about sex. If you are interested please give your thoughts on the following questions:

1) Does sex have any meaning?
2) What is your sexual morality?
3) What role does love have in sex?
4) What role does procreation have in sex?

I look forward to hearing from people, thanks
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-10-2013, 01:22 PM
RE: Poll about the meaning of Sex
(20-10-2013 12:36 PM)WimpyPete Wrote:  Hi everyone,

I'm just doing a bit of work for a class paper and was interested in collecting some sample thoughts about sex. If you are interested please give your thoughts on the following questions:

Consider OK. I'll bite.

But what's our reward? A citation? A hug and cuddle?

Verb or noun?

Promiscuity
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mating_system

For him, for her or for everyone involved in the orgy or for those recording it?
http://www.youramazingbrain.org.uk/loves...celove.htm

You're on the wrong website.
We tend to be pro-evolution not procreation.

Big Grin

That was fun.

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
20-10-2013, 01:23 PM
1) Define "meaning" and in what context, if you please.
2) What?
3) Love and sex can be treated as two separate entities.
4) Procreation and sex can be treated as two separate entities.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
20-10-2013, 01:33 PM
(20-10-2013 01:22 PM)DLJ Wrote:  

Consider OK. I'll bite.

Verb or noun?

Promiscuity

For him, for her or for everyone involved in the orgy or for those recording it?

Big Grin

That was fun.

For the verb or noun question, I guess I was thinking in regards to the verb, but now that you mention it, that question does seem to rest upon whether or not we give a particular meaning to the noun doesn't it since the nouns are the ones doing the verb heh.

"For him, for her or for everyone involved in the orgy or for those recording it?"
Do you feel that there is a different meaning for each I guess I would ask? Or just from your point of view.

Could you help me understand the distinction between pro evolution and pro creation?

Thanks for the response
20-10-2013, 01:36 PM (This post was last modified: 20-10-2013 01:51 PM by amyb.)
Quote:1) Does sex have any meaning?
What?

It has the meaning the individuals involved assign to it, I suppose.

Quote:2) What is your sexual morality?
I don't understand this question. Does it refer to me or society? If it refers to society, I think any consensual sexual activity between adults is fine and none of my business anyway. I think people should have the amount of sex they want to and are able to.

I don't really assign morality to sexual activity except in cases of immorality, which is to say, nonconsensual sexual activity.

Quote:3) What role does love have in sex?
Some people view sex as an expression of love. I consider sex and love to be separate things, but I understand that there is an overlap between the two for many people. Certainly, not being in love with them never stopped me from having sex with guys I was dating in the past.

Quote:4) What role does procreation have in sex?
People who want biological children usually have sex in order to do so.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-10-2013, 01:40 PM
(20-10-2013 01:23 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  1) Define "meaning" and in what context, if you please.
2) What?
3) Love and sex can be treated as two separate entities.
4) Procreation and sex can be treated as two separate entities.

Hey Cheapthrills,

In regards to my meaning, I guess I left it a bit open and vague for the purpose of getting different responses to the question. If need be I will narrow the definition but I'd like to see what people have to say in general first.

Love and sex could certainly be treated separately as there are various types of love, love of food, dogs, friends, spouse, kids etc, but I guess I'm asking about the connection, if any, that people see with sex with a person and love for that person.

As far as procreation and sex being treated separately, I suppose I don't know how that would be done exactly so maybe you could let me know what you mean. Aside from test tube babies it seems that procreation does require sex, although not all sex involves procreation, so I'm just asking about people's thoughts about the connection between the two. Thanks
20-10-2013, 01:43 PM

Like life, it has whatever meaning you give it.

Sex should take place between consenting adults

That varies from individual to individual.

Babies are a possible outcome.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
20-10-2013, 02:00 PM

1) I'm not sure how to answer that. It's a very vague question. I'll take it to ask what does sex mean to me. For me personally, sex is something I share with the person/people I care about. I'm not a casual sex type of person, so there definitely is an emotional meaning and that emotional attachment must be present for me.

2) As in, what do I believe is moral or immoral as far as sexual acts go? There's not much I find immoral, so long as everyone involved is a consenting adult. I don't engage in casual sex acts or polyamory, but I know people who do and I think it benefits their personality type and makes them happy, so I don't think negatively of their sex lives. I'm an active member of a BDSM group, so I find very little off-limits sexually. Anything involving children or animals, or done against someone's will. That's about it.

3) it's a necessary element for me and I think it enhances sexual encounters. Of course, others enjoy casual encounters and get off specifically on not having that connection with their partner, so it's highly subjective.

4) None. I have sex for the pure enjoyment of it and plan to NOT ever have any more children. I think anyone who limits their sex lives to a means of spawning is missing out on a whole lot of personal enjoyment.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
20-10-2013, 02:06 PM
See inserts

(20-10-2013 01:33 PM)WimpyPete Wrote:  
(20-10-2013 01:22 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Consider OK. I'll bite.

Verb or noun?

Promiscuity

Big Grin

That was fun.

For the verb or noun question, I guess I was thinking in regards to the verb, but now that you mention it, that question does seem to rest upon whether or not we give a particular meaning to the noun doesn't it since the nouns are the ones doing the verb heh.

Also, 'to sex' means to determine the gender of animals.

"For him, for her or for everyone involved in the orgy or for those recording it?"
Do you feel that there is a different meaning for each I guess I would ask? Or just from your point of view.

Your word "meaning" is weighted. So I chose to be flippant to highlight the peculiarity of the question.
You need to redefine the question.

Are you asking about emotional 'meaning' i.e. the importance that we attach to love?

Are you asking about the chemical impact? Hence the link I provided. Please read it. It's short and has a happy ending Laughat

Could you help me understand the distinction between pro evolution and pro creation?

That's what we, in this part of the world, would call... a joke.

Thanks for the response

20-10-2013, 02:22 PM
1) Does sex have any meaning? = 42
2) What is your sexual morality? = NFI what the ? means
3) What role does love have in sex? = +30 damage bonus
4) What role does procreation have in sex? = choice

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".