Poll about the meaning of Sex

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2013, 10:32 PM (This post was last modified: 21-10-2013 12:09 AM by DLJ.)
RE: Poll about the meaning of Sex
(20-10-2013 08:47 PM)WimpyPete Wrote:  Thanks for the posts guys, I'm going to keep working and might come back with some different follow up questions later

And just for politeness' sake, a bit of background would be nice.

For example:

Why do you want to know the answers to these questions?
Why do you want to know the answers to these questions from total strangers?
Why do you want to know the answers to these questions from total strangers on a predominantly atheist website?
What will you be doing with the results?
Other?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
21-10-2013, 09:27 AM
(20-10-2013 10:32 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(20-10-2013 08:47 PM)WimpyPete Wrote:  Thanks for the posts guys, I'm going to keep working and might come back with some different follow up questions later

And just for politeness' sake, a bit of background would be nice.

For example:

Why do you want to know the answers to these questions?
Why do you want to know the answers to these questions from total strangers?
Why do you want to know the answers to these questions from total strangers on a predominantly atheist website?
What will you be doing with the results?
Other?

Yeah that makes sense.

In my paper I am trying to do a few comparisons between different worldviews and how these effect their views on sexuality. My bigger interests is on the effects that different anthropologies have on the way one looks at sexuality. I think the way someone understands what the human person is, as well as their metaphysics I guess of how they understand what the world/reality is, are all going to effect their views on issues like these and I kind of see sex as a bottle neck point where a lot of world views come out.

Anyway in short I guess I was just interested in polling this page because I am interest in the conversations here and to see what people who are looking at the issue from a purely rational stand point would see in it.

Any more questions?
21-10-2013, 12:43 PM
1) Does sex have any meaning?

A1 - Condoms are a more recent invention in human history; therefore, biologically speaking, the meaning of sex is the passing on of genetic material to create new life.

A2 - But now that condoms circumvent the biological meaning, as others have stated, sex has whatever meaning you give it--be it gratification, love, or procreation.

2) What is your sexual morality?

A1 - If my partner is physically developed and mentally responsible enough to consent to sex, anything goes as long as they are into it.

A2 - I don't look down on people for being gay or bisexual. Bonobos, our close genetic cousin, swing both ways, so how is this a bad thing? Our last common ancestor (LCA) probably had the same behavior.

3) What role does love have in sex?

A1 - Well, I've known couples who didn't fall in love until having sex. The physical compatibility helped bring them closer together.

A2 - Some consider sex to be an expression of love for their partner.

A3 - On the other hand, love is not a requirement for sex to take place.

4) What role does procreation have in sex?

A - See my answers from #1.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-10-2013, 03:56 PM
Hey guys, people are obviously free to keep posting on this post, I'd appreciate the extra comments, but I am also going to start up a branch off post on the narrower topic of the sexual morality question if any one wants to jump in on that one, its called "Does Sex Have Limits". Thanks
21-10-2013, 05:54 PM
1) Does sex have any meaning? Depends on the person. For me, yes.
2) What is your sexual morality? I think you should be able to at I would say 15-16ish? As long as you use some sort of protection and you aren't just having sex and getting pregnant/getting anyone pregnant.
3) What role does love have in sex? Again, it just depends on the person.
4) What role does procreation have in sex? Use protection if you don't want kids. That's all I have to say. I definitely don't want kids. No
21-10-2013, 06:35 PM
1) Does sex have any meaning?
To myself - yes. To others? Most of them, sure.

2) What is your sexual morality?
My sense of ethics within sex are as long as it's between two consenting adults.

3) What role does love have in sex?
Love plays a part in it, but it's not the only part. I grown up from Disney cartoon mindset of thinking "There can be only one" (or Highlander, if you want to be garish) to "There's gonna be lots of different types of partners I'm going to encounter in my life, and not all of them are going to be because I'm searching for love". If I search for a partner purely for love, and the sex isn't great, that can be a problem. If I search for a partner purely for sex, well, that's gonna go bottoms up (not the position) really fast. But I don't discount the reality that I've gone through both. It's part of learning.

4) What role does procreation have in sex?
Conception's role in sex for me is something that would happen much later on than the original first sexual act with a partner. It is a big commitment to go from having sex to deciding to try to conceive with a person. Procreation isn't always something that happens with partners who have sex - you can have a couple who can't conceive, couples who doesn't want to conceive, couples of the same gender who are happy being together while not conceiving, and couples who don't define sex in the penetrative sense.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
21-10-2013, 08:50 PM
good hearing from you guys Smile
22-10-2013, 05:52 AM
Sex is the most fun one can have without spending any money (unless, of course, you're DLJ). Tongue

But for me it has been 13 years of manual override after having fallen ridiculously in love with Gwyneth Paltrow. Blush

Yet I never could figure out that "one night stand" stuff. I don't wanna be with a girl I do not love. If I didn't love her as much as I love my Gwynnies, I'd feel as if I were giving her the short end of the stick; and since it now seems I'll never love somebody as much as my Gwynnies - forever alone. Weeping

So my answers would be thus skewed along those lines. Undecided

So my "sexual morality" is like "do it. Do it often." And the role of procreation in sex is like, "none. Hopefully." Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]